Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » LDS Books, Plays, and Music » I'm writing an online LDS novel (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: I'm writing an online LDS novel
DaKnife
Member # 1220

- posted      Profile for DaKnife   Email DaKnife         Edit/Delete Post 
One Monitor versus the innumerable keyboards Nauvoo has cost it's participants? Me thinks if Janey worries about this threat, OSC'd better be shutting this site down. [Big laugh] [ROFL] [Big laugh]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for trooperswife   Email trooperswife         Edit/Delete Post 
Janey, thanks for the heads up about the book "Why is it always about YOU?"

Really good reading.

Posts: 4453 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Janey   Email Janey         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you're finding it interesting. Eye-opening, isn't it?
Posts: 4775 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my concern: If you plan to finish the novel by April because of the pending arrival of the new baby, what will the rest of us do on Mondays and Thursdays? What will we have to look forward to? I'm getting a bit verklemmt just thinking about this. [Angst]
Posts: 2861 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Shut your mouth! Why did you have to bring THAT up? Now I have future withdrawal anxiety!
Posts: 5906 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
**Shuts mouth, hangs head low, slinks into the corner to silently contemplate life outside the Jello Belt . . .** [Cry]
Posts: 2861 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

Oh dear. [Angst]

After maternity leave, maybe I could write another novel.

And, you know, the Jello Belt may need a sequel in a few years.

Posts: 4775 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

Now I want apple pie.
Posts: 5906 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

Now I want a new chapter.
DaKnife
Member # 1220

- posted      Profile for DaKnife   Email DaKnife         Edit/Delete Post 
You had your chapter for the day, now get back to your fawning adoration. [Big laugh]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

Fawning adoration coming right up! Just wondering if Janey is going to set up a 12-step program for those of us who go into Jello Belt withdrawal. . .
palmon
Member # 600

- posted      Profile for palmon   Email palmon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you had your chapter for the day
What!!?? There's been a chapter a day??!! And I've missed them?!

[ March 02, 2010, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: palmon ]

Posts: 5642 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

I could put up reruns.
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

Janey, I had to put my PC in the shop on Friday morning because it was making a funny noise. The folks at the shop were not able to duplicate the problem, so I picked up the PC this morning. I just wanted you to know that the first website I visited after booting up was your Jello Belt blog.
Janey
Member # 885

Thanks! I'm both flattered and encouraged. I've got one chapter left to write to finish the whole book, and it's taking forever. It's like I don't want to finish it. Then what will I do?

I also want to point out that the chapter that is going up on Thursday was written at least six weeks before this thread.

palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

quote:
I've got one chapter left to write to finish the whole book, and it's taking forever. It's like I don't want to finish it. Then what will I do?

That's the way I am when I start getting close to end of a book I truly enjoy. I find myself putting it down and walking away for a while just to prolong the reading experience.
soleil
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for soleil   Email soleil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like I don't want to finish it. Then what will I do?
Apparently it is incumbent upon me to point out the obvious: You don't want to finish it. We don't want it to end. Just keep writing more!
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

quote:
Apparently it is incumbent upon me to point out the obvious: You don't want to finish it. We don't want it to end. Just keep writing more!
Good answer, soleil!

Janey, could we compromise on one chapter a week after the baby arrives, or is that asking too much? [Dont Know]

I'd be willing to suffer through a temporary Jello Belt withdrawal to facilitate your taking a (gulp!) maternity leave for a few months if it meant that weekly chapters would return. (So, yes, I guess it's all about me. [Blushing] )

PollyAnna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for PollyAnna   Email PollyAnna         Edit/Delete Post 
Understanding that sometime the third child in a family adds to the workload above just caring for another child... for instance in my world it left a lot harder cause suddenly I didn't have enough hands to keep kids heading in the right directions when we all had to "go"... add to that hubby was working 2 jobs and in school when our third came along... and unfortunately a year later I was having really severe health issues... which I of course don't expect you to deal with... but for a lot of mothers I talked to that third child is simply a LOT more work for some reason, and I was not alone in my thinking...

Anyway, understanding this idea I think a maternity leave would be in order, and I am willing to encourage it... but I'd like to think we'd get a sequel, eventually. [Big Grin] [please?]

Posts: 6447 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dianoia
Member # 3756

- posted      Profile for dianoia   Email dianoia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good! It's almost done? Then I get to start, yahoo! Which sounds bizarre, I know, but I'm an impatient person who finds it far easier to wait and read or watch something in one fell swoop then a bit at a time, so I've been waiting for the book to be finished before I started.
Posts: 1982 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmon
Member # 600

Crossing threads
quote:
I'm going to look into self-publishing too. The more I learn about the LDS publishing market, the less optimistic I am about my book getting published.
Janey, don't count yourself out. You have incredible talent, one that will surely stand out to even LDS publishers. There might be a problem in getting this book published with them because you have already technically published it. I bet there are ways around that problem. Maybe its a question LDSpublisher would answer.
Posts: 5642 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief Polly, what are you trying to do, talk her into quitting?

Janey- don't listen. The third kid is a snap. You'll barely even notice the extra. Tust me. I have six. So I basically had TWO third children and I know. Easy peasy.

Posts: 9085 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

Yep. I know you've had plenty of mothers warning you that the third child is the hardest; that's what I heard. But my third child turned out to be the easiest. So no worries.
palmon
Member # 600

My mother's theory was three or more take no more time than two. My theory is once you have two, it becomes easier - those little 'older' hands are mighty helpful and usually delighted to be so.
Dyany
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for Dyany   Email Dyany         Edit/Delete Post 
Janey, if you need more help with getting published, I have a friend who is published in LDS markets (I helped edit her book, too) and she REALLY follows the market well. She'd probably be helpful. Admittedly, as has been mentioned, you might have problems because you already published on the web, but I think some publishers may still accept your manuscript.
Posts: 1815 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PollyAnna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for PollyAnna   Email PollyAnna         Edit/Delete Post 
ok... I get it, everyone is better at mothering that I am... I already KNEW that, [Big laugh] but at some point isn't a novel supposed to end? I thought a sequel sounded like a good idea, and maybe she can even pitch the sequel as a two for one deal with a publisher... if they need convincing they could post a survey on the Jello Belt site for all the readers to chime in and should be able to tell that there is a market for Janey's books.

I know a dozen women that are reading along that aren't even members of Nauvoo, at least that is what they said when I asked how they hear about it... but maybe some are luckers and don't want to admit it. a few of them followed the link on my blog but most followed the link on blogs of people I have never heard of, so I think this novel has been followed by more people than Janey realizes.

Posts: 6447 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

You people make me smile. I'm glad you like the book as much as I do. It's been quite an adventure to write it. I went back over the backstory and notes that I wrote before I started writing actual chapters, and it was funny to see how much had changed. For example, Danna didn't exist in any of the pre-writing I did. The oldest Simmons child was a boy who didn't come into the story much. After I started writing, Danna just appeared and took over the Simmons storyline.

I hope the 3rd baby is easy! I do all my writing after 7:30 p.m., when the kids go to bed. So as soon as baby starts going to sleep at 7:30, I can start writing again. Or sooner. I've enjoyed writing so much that I think I will find a way to keep writing, even with 3 kids age 3 and under. What keeps momma happy keeps the family happy, right?

Dyany - I appreciate the offer of your friend's advice. I've been in touch with some people in the publishing world too. If you don't think she'd mind a few emailed questions, could you link us up?

Polly - I advertised the book at Mormon Mommy Blogs for a couple months, and picked up about 2/3 of my readers there. I track the site usage on google analytics, which tells me how many people visit, and what webpage they linked through. I have about 90 readers. Most of them came from MMB, and most of the rest of you came from Nauvoo. Then there are a sprinkling of people from word of mouth, or just surfing.

Dianoia - read fast, because it's got to come down before I start sending it to publishers . . .

Dyany
Member # 922

Janey, I e-mailed her and I should hear back soon. In the meantime, if you want to check out some info about her, you can check out her website at her web page. It has an e-mail contact for her, but I think that's pretty old. I'm always surprised at how much she knows about LDS publishing even though she's only published one book. [Smile]
Posts: 1815 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

Janey, I would like to comment on this morning's chapter:

Bravo! [Clap] Simply Bravo! [Hat] Amazing; totally amazing. [Hail] I am at a loss for words.

I wish every YW/YM could be taught that lesson, whether it applied to them personally or not. You are amazing!

palmon
Member # 600

That was an amazing object lesson! How did you come up with that?
JennaDean
Member # 1722

Do I need to pay some sort of copyright fee or something if I want to use that?
Dyany
Member # 922

Janey, did you get the PM I sent you with my friend's email? BTW, she went to check out your work and ended up reading the whole thing -- she really likes it!
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Janey, I agree - that was an absolutely brilliant object lesson. I would have loved to hear it when I was much, much, much younger.
Posts: 4890 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

Dyany - I did get your message with your friend's email, but I didn't contact her until just recently. I didn't know what to say besides, "um, how do you publish a book?" so I had to think of something chattier than that. I liked the first chapter of her book on her website.

I'm glad so many people liked the object lesson. Object lessons are so touchy because they stick in your mind so well. That was the problem Maria had when she was planning on teaching a regular lesson - there's no way it would be vivid enough to override an object lesson. Good thing she came up with an object lesson! I believe it could be adapted to cover ordinary violations of the law of chastity as well. We're always a temple, even if the sin is intentional.

And anyone can use it if you want. Funny Jenna, no licensing fees.

quote:
That was an amazing object lesson! How did you come up with that?
I came up with it the same time Maria did. I started writing the scene without any idea of what she was going to teach, and when I got the idea, I wrote the line "the object lesson she needed dropped into her mind" and off she went to the library. I'd originally thought that Danna would give her an idea, but Danna is getting harder and harder to reach.
JennaDean
Member # 1722

This book has been on my mind lately as I've been teaching the Beehives. On the one hand, I'm aware that they are young women now and that we can talk about things in there a little more openly than we did in Primary, and I'm relating with them more openly than I ever did with my Primary kids. OTOH, I'm also acutely aware that my daughter is going to be a Beehive in a little over a year, and I'm wondering if she'll even be ready for those kinds of conversations! It's a fine line to walk, between those who are nearly fourteen and have maybe been exposed to things, and those who are just twelve and some of them are really still very innocent.

Anyway, the lesson a couple weeks ago was on being a peacemaker, and the topic of forgiveness came up; and this came to mind as I was encouraging them to be forgiving. I had to strongly emphasize that forgiving someone doesn't mean saying that what they did was okay. It means you're not going to stay angry about it anymore, you're not going to wish bad things on that person or try to get revenge or rejoice when their life gets hard. You pray for them and hope the Lord can help them and just stop holding hard feelings against them. But it also doesn't mean that if they've lost your trust, you have to go back to the same level of trust or friendship with them. Depending on what they've done.

Anyway, Janey, thanks for putting in the back of my mind that some of these girls may have experienced something horrific. I look at them and have a hard time imagining that, but you never know who's hiding something. Like Jacob, I don't want to hurt or scare or offend the ones who have no experience with these things, but I want to say what needs to be said - it's a fine line to walk.

quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My sexual abuse stopped at age twelve. It would have been entirely appropriate for me to hear that message years earlier. It would have been incredibly helpful and healing to hear that message years earlier.
Posts: 4890 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

I am in shock and mourning.
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
It said "the end". How is that possible?
Posts: 9085 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

I'm having a baby in three weeks. That's why it says "the end."

I feel like I wrote the first two-thirds of a trilogy. The last third is set about eight or ten years in the future, to give the current situations time to mature and change. But Danna's story is obviously not finished. Hannah deserves a chance to heal. Brian is still related to his family, and that's going to create some issues. Brian and Maria have to work on their marriage. Brandon has actually felt a couple whisperings of the spirit and ignored them, but little Sophie Grayson is going to grow up and want to go to Church with her best friend Chloe Benton. Amanda's only in the Church for social reasons right now.

Sigh. It takes a lot of writing to get to a happy ending.

Dyany
Member # 922

quote:
Sigh. It takes a lot of writing to get to a happy ending.
Tell me about it. Heavenly Father's been at it for quite a while and he STILL hasn't reached the happy ending yet!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page