Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » Non-LDS fiction » Narnia Movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Narnia Movie
greybeard
Member # 1045

- posted      Profile for greybeard           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife, my four adult children and I have just seen the trailer for new Disney movie of The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe at the website. All of us got the tingles. The Narnia books are by far one of the great bonding elements for our family. We spent one whole summer reading them and continued to read them together and individually thoughout our children's growing up years. Even though only one of our children is active in the Church all of them still love the Chronicles of Narnia. We can't wait to see the movie as a family. We've worn out three sets of books over the years. We now have three different sets in our library (one hardback, one paperback and a one volume paperback with all the stories). We also have a set of children's illustated versions and color maps. We even made a little Narnia world in the wooods behind our house when the kids were little. Sadly, we moved and had to leave that behind. Oh, by the way did I tell you that we really liked the books.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I only read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I don't remember much but I know I enjoyed the books. Is the movie going to be a cartoon or will it be "real people" ? Hopefully, it is real people vs. just animation.
Posts: 8916 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greybeard
Member # 1045

- posted      Profile for greybeard           Edit/Delete Post 
The people are real and the special effects for the creatures of Narnia look great. The music seems quite stirring also.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lissa2061
Member # 990

- posted      Profile for lissa2061   Email lissa2061         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so excited for this movie too. That PBS miniseries or what ever it was truned out horrible and was bad to watch. I am very much looking forward to a quality movie.
Posts: 635 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michaela
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Michaela   Email Michaela         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Greybeard, what did you think of the books?

[Big laugh]

Posts: 3711 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
everdaygrace
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for everdaygrace   Email everdaygrace         Edit/Delete Post 
I discussed this thread with my 11 yo. She said "I hope Disney get's it right this time". She thought a minute and added "Nah, they won't get it right, they never do".

I hope she is wrong. But it is true that Disney has ruined some pretty great stories (Peter Pan anyone). Hopefully they will tread lightly here.

Posts: 1451 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMShaw
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for JohnMShaw   Email JohnMShaw         Edit/Delete Post 
The new Narnia movies are being funded by the same person the funded Holes and a few other family movies. The business man has a very interesting piece you can read entitled, "What ever happened to the Family Film" Very good reading.

http://www.hillsdale.edu/imprimis/2004/june/default.htm

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
everdaygrace
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for everdaygrace   Email everdaygrace         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel better now. Thanks for sharing that.
Posts: 1451 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Jinn
Member # 1100

- posted      Profile for Jane Jinn   Email Jane Jinn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see the film. I remember reading the books a long long time ago, and I thought they were good, so I tried to encourage my son to read them. He wasn't quite as captivated, however. Still, if the film is good and he likes it, maybe he'll give them another try.
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a preview shown before Star Wars, looks very impressive. I may just have to go and read the books.

ComingSoon has links to the previews here.

Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started reading the book for the first time last night. I started with the Magician's Nephew, which is apparently the first book by C.S. Lewis's desires. (I always thought Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe was first).

I could not help but picture Jim Carrey as Count Olaf playing Uncle Andrew.

Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommyH
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for MommyH   Email MommyH         Edit/Delete Post 
Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe was the first book C. S. Lewis wrote, but according to the internal chronology of Narnia, Magician's Nephew comes first. I think it was a really misguided decision of the publisher to change the order of the books. They flow really well in the order they were written, as far as concepts introduced, continunity of character development, and development of the reader. If you can, I really suggest you read them in the order they were published. (LW&W, Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Silver Chair, Horse and His Boy, Magician's Nephew, Last Battle. I think that's the right order, the 5th and 6th may be switched.)
Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalena
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Kalena   Email Kalena         Edit/Delete Post 
[Note: Lazy "Jettboy" writing from my wife's computer.]

I too am excited to see this movie. Me and my wife (see above) pick one movie a year to see during the Holidays. For three years in a row it has been Lord of the Rings. This year it is sure to be LW&W. I agree that the BBC version of The LW
&W really stank with poor acting and bad special effects. We'll see, however, if Disney can pull this off better. They have a habit of messing with stories.

Another thing I agree with is reading the original order of the series. You miss a lot of the meaning and flow of the series if you start with The Magicians Nephew. I wouldn't be surprised if you got confused at first. On the other hand, I don't think you can leave it out either. Surprisingly, or not, it helps make sense of the later books while illuminating the former ones.

Posts: 656 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euphrasie
Member # 1067

- posted      Profile for Euphrasie   Email Euphrasie         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on the order. I saw the trailer for the movie and am not sure what I think. Hard to tell from a trailer anyway. I also think I need to reread the books. It's been a couple years. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5737 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalena
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Kalena   Email Kalena         Edit/Delete Post 
[Really and truly Kalena this time [Big Grin] )

I just reread the series and I have to say that LW&W is my least favorite of the series. I liked Magician's Nephew, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and The Horse and His Boy. Rereading them as an adult, I didn't like the series as much as I did when I was younger. I guess life experience can change how one interprets and perceives what one reads. That aside, I am looking forward to seeing the film. With the absolute lack of anything watchable in the theaters right now, I hope this is as good as the previews.

Posts: 656 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candy198
Member # 1632

- posted      Profile for Candy198   Email Candy198         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I just hope that it isn't cut in half like Harry Potter.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoahsMom
Member # 1702

- posted      Profile for NoahsMom   Email NoahsMom         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to The Nauvoo Forum, but wanted to put in my 2 cent's worth - - I saw the musical "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" at the Royal Shakespeare theater in Stratford (England) and it was one of the great experiences of my life (my then 6 year old came with - - I'd read the book to him) and he was enthralled. But even as good as the play was, it could never take the place of the book - - I enjoyed the play because I had loved the book so much (and the script stuck very closely to the book). My point - - no matter how good or bad the movie (I hope it's good!) the books are the real treasure. I've read each in the series over and over, and am now sharing them with my kids. C.S. Lewis was a genius. I recently read the story of him marriage to Joy Davidson - - gave a lot of insights.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OmeGa
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for OmeGa   Email OmeGa         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Noahsmom, I am excited for the movie because I too, loved the books, I am reading the Magcians Nephew to my grandson now -- we both wish we had more time to read more --it is so fun to see him loving it too!!! Again WELCOME !!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 682 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoahsMom
Member # 1702

- posted      Profile for NoahsMom   Email NoahsMom         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, OmeGa, for the welcome. Some other great kids' books are The Prydain Cycle (a series of 5) by Lloyd Alexander, the Little House books, the Anne of Green Gables books, the Bronze Bow (Elizabeth George Speare) - - I could go on and on. My mom and I were talking about good books for kids/young adults recently because she had heard that several inappropriate books were being promoted by schools/libraries and she wanted a list of good books for her Achievement Day girls. There are so many great books out there!
Posts: 17 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OmeGa
Member # 1601

You are welcome, and Thank You, I had not heard of the Bronze Bow or Prydian Cycle, I will add those to my list, there is thread called "Reading to Young Children" under Mormon Life, that also recommends a lot of good books --take a peak at it when you get a chance. Have a good night !!
Posts: 682 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OmeGa
Member # 1601

Hey Noahsmom, you can go to Introductions and tell us a little about yourself !! [Razz]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page