Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » The Cabin (Page 179)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 207 pages: 1  2  3  ...  176  177  178  179  180  181  182  ...  205  206  207 

Author Topic: The Cabin
V.
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for V.   Email V.         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope and pray that the next year is better. I am in a funk and really need to look forward.

Today wasn't bad but I need activity! It was also colder today so I covered the plants for two nights.

Going to snuggle up now! Night all! V.

Posts: 4311 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... pizza! Yum!

V., I hope you have a better year, too. [Smile]

Posts: 5013 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
* Ivie tries to "hug" V awake. *

Ivie, maybe she just wants to take it easy. I know you're concerned about her being in this funk, but she might want a little space. why don't you just curl up with her so she'll see you there when she wakes up?

I'm not feeling too well either. It might be the flu, or a cold, with sniffles, coughing, & sore throat. So I'll enjoy all of you fur-balls at arm's length, OK? That still means I can feed you. [Razz] There's a little pizza left, so I'll ut some up & zap it & add it to your breakfast.

Posts: 14659 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

Ahhhhh, time for bed. I will be shopping with a friend tomorrow torward having some new garb for 12th Night and for C & C in Feb.

Come, furry ones, time for sleep! Night all! V.

Posts: 4311 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

I'm glad V is taking the critters for the next few nights. I'm not feeling well, a URI of some kind that has me hoarse & coughing. As cozy as Punkin is when she falls asleep on my bed, she would make me even wheezier. I'll still give them TLC during the day, but I'm glad to let them all go & keep V snug for a few nights.

And with Quid on the other side of the globe, there will be 24-hour attention for all of them if they feel like going out the west side. I'll probably go out there tomorrow & just sit in the sun. It's a foggy night in the Bay Area & my window looks like a solid gray wall.

I had chicken noodle soup for dinner. [Razz] There is some left if anyone wants any.

[ December 30, 2011, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

Posts: 14659 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the coolest month of the year, so it's theoretically not blazing hot at only about 30-32C (86 or so F) during the day, so a good time to visit for some warmth. Plus the birds have been more active lately. And if the critters are lucky, they might see the local lizard (3' long) as s/he explores our yard. [Smile] The lizard came today but left fairly quickly, which I was disappointed at since I ran upstairs to grab my zoom lens & camera. No worries - the lizards don't like cats or dogs. They eat much smaller stuff. [Smile]
Posts: 5013 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

* Comes over to the west side to relax in the sun. *

I brought a thermos of beef stew, a big bottle of water to try & keep my throat lubricated, a pile of reading material, & some knitting. I'm planning to stay a couple hours & just soak up some sunshine & enjoy the colorful birds. Maybe the lizard will join me. It's still very foggy in the Bay Area at 11:30 a.m., & visibility is maybe half a mile.

I'm not very prone to seasonal affective disorder (folks in some places call it cabin fever, but that would be an inappropriate term for us! [Big laugh] ), but who wants to be sick & feel cruddy & have nothing but damp & gray in the air?

The critters may wander over here later. but they know they can't get on my lap or shoulder. They'll get plenty of TLC from V.

quidscribis
Member # 701

SAD doesn't affect people here - we always get sun. Sunrise and sunset only change by about a half hour from winter to summer solstice. [Smile] And we get lots and lots of sun. [Smile]
Curelom
Member # 1439

OTOH, maybe people who have sun all the time get SAD because they yearn for some snow, rain, or fog. [Big laugh] Do you ever miss cool weather?

Punkin & I are going to spend the night on the west side. She enjoys watching the colorful birds, & she never bothers them because she associates all birds with Parrot. She misses Parrot & always hopes she'll see him when we come over here. Yes, Punkin, that's your spot on the wicker chair by the window.

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve, so I will make my black-eyed peas with ham hocks for midnight. I'll make a dish of red beans & rice with celery, onions, & Cajun seasoning for non-ham eaters. I'll put out some snack foods in the afternoon for drop-in visitors, simple stuff like sliced fruit & veggies, sandwich fixings, a couple of soups for cold-weather Incabitants, & maybe cake.

V.
Member # 1727

Yep, the critters will be more than welcome to come keep me warm at night. We are having nice days and very cool nights.

Didn't spend much money today as I couldn't find what I wanted for a cloak. The ad said corduroy was on sale but I didn't have it with me and didn't feel like having the fabric cut without knowing for sure. We did match trim to fabric so I will have pretty stuff.

Time to snuggle up! Night all! V.

quidscribis
Member # 701

Do I ever miss the cool weather? Are you kidding me? There are times I'd love to make snow angels nekkid!

Oooh! Smorgasbord! I'll add the sweets we picked up at Monis - coconut cakes, chocolate chip muffins, white cake, ginger biscuits, wine biscuits, and... There's one more thing I can't quite remember... Ah well. At any rate, there's more than enough sweets here for just about anyone. [Big Grin]

It's already New Years Eve here, of course, although still fairly early afternoon. The firecrackers will, no doubt, start going off in about four hours or so and will get really really loud at midnight here, so if you're visiting, make sure you use the earplugs I'll set out on the porch.

Curelom
Member # 1439

It's already 2012 in some parts of the Cabin, so Happy New Year to all.

The snack spread is out for anyone who feels like dropping by: salad & sandwich fixings, taco fixings, chicken noodle soup, fruit, & spiced apple-raisin cake.

The black-eyed peas & ham hocks & the Cajun red beans & rice are under way. They'll be served at midnight, whenever that is for you. For me, it's midnight PST, & by then it will almost be Jan. 2 in some corners of the Cabin.

Ivie, I'm sorry I can't hug you right now. I'll pet you & give you something to eat, but I'm still a little wheezy so I can't let you too near my face. V or Quid might be here later. And look, Tellulah & Teazer are watching you from under the couch. Why don't you see if they want to play? The other critters are on the west side where it's warm, & I heard that Parrot might be over there.

V.
Member # 1727

I am finally settled in for the night so any of the furry ones who want tlc are welcome to come my way! Bless you one and all for being in my life this last year! [Group Hug] V.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've brought cream cheese rangoons and chicken fried rice to add to the party table, along with a big pitcher of chilled mugi cha.

Buggie just left for a party at a friend's house. Mini decided she wasn't going to be able to stay awake. I'm working on a very large cross stitch project that has been hiding out in my WIP bin for at least 2 years. there's a good chance I won't make it to midnight either, but I'll at least give it a try.

Posts: 1351 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Thanks for the additional goodies, Goody. [Razz] Not sure who has been here, but some of the food has been eaten, which means the party is a success. [Clap]

I don't know how late I can stay up either. Let's serve the black-eyed peas & ham hocks & the Cajun red beans & rice now, for anyone who shows up. None of us may be conscious when the ball drops. [Roll Eyes]

The critters were out on the west side earlier, watching the fireworks in Quid's time zone. All except Ivie, who is spooked by things that remind her of the abuser who bullied small creatures by burning them with cigarets or breaking legs or tails. She stayed here, sitting by our fireplace, ironically. She's OK with that because she associates it & the firepit with us. Everyone is now back here, trying to crowd V out of her bed [ROFL] .

Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
By invoking my own particular brand of convoluted logic that involves cross stitching, self-imposed and therefore largely irrelevant deadlines, and some wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff, I hereby declare that page 2 of Starry Night is a 2011 finish LOL. Pictures will be posted later if anyone is interested.
Posts: 1351 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

Interested, Goody! Pics are a must! [Big Grin]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

Starry Night status pictures: http://www.needleful-things.com/gallery/starry

Today was a complete mess at church. We changed to a 9:00 am start time (we were at 11:00 last year), and a lot of people either forgot or never got the news. The Primary President was home with her newest baby and one of our counselors is in Idaho with family. The pianist also went home early, leaving us to scramble for an emergency substitute for 3rd hour. The child assigned to give a talk in Senior sharing time was absent, so 2nd Counselor used the time to introduce the year's theme - and used about half of my sharing time lesson in the process. We had 5 Primary teachers not show up at all and one arrived at almost 11:30. She said that nobody told her. Um.... the bishopric has been announcing this from the pulpit for the last month, I really didn't think I needed to bash the Primary teachers over the head by adding it to our announcements as well. Although when I consider the fact that this sister was arriving late for our old time, maybe I shouldn't be completely surprised. Ah well.

I am consoling myself with the belief that it can only go up from here this year. [Smile] And I am somewhat amused that I had a nightmare earlier this week that I would be missing *all* of my Presidency, plus chorister and pianist, and multiple teachers today, and that I didn't have a sharing time lesson prepared or any children assigned to ray, read scriptures or give talks. So the reality came out better than the nightmare.

The girls are with their father this afternoon. I came home and took a nap (and boy do I hope this is normal fatigue from being up so late last night and not coming down sick myself), and I'm getting ready to work on my cross-stitch some more while listening to the Book of Mormon on audiobook.

JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow, Goody, that sounds like an eventful Primary. We switched to 9:00 am church today, too, and I thought YW would probably be only me and my daughter, what with it being 9:00 on New Year's Day. But we had a fair number of girls, I was pleased.

What calling do you have, that you're not the Primary president or one of the couselors, but you are doing Sharing Time? Sounds like it was the Goody Show.

Can I just tell you how much I love you for your Doctor Who reference? He's starting to annoy me with his "timey wimey" and "humany wumany" business (it was funny the first time, but now it's wearing thin); yet somehow it's one of those things we still say around the house. All the timey wimey. [Smile]

Happy New Year, everyone. I love the Cabin and I love Nauvoo; I get such inspiration and comfort and good advice and insight into people who are different from me. Love my online ward.

Posts: 5906 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

Jenna, I'm secretary. Normally I do sharing time on the 4th Sunday, I was covering for the president's normal week since she's home with a newborn.

I cringed when the Doctor threw out "humany wumany" in the Christmas episode. And I had chills (good ones, but still) when the little boy asked for his Mummy. It sounded like the same voice as in the S1 two-parter with Captain Jack (trying to be intentionally vague here)

JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you my mummy?"
Posts: 5906 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

Just lost my first post! [Roll Eyes]

Primary was a little crazy for me today as well. They didn't move teachers, just the kids. Fortunately we had the right lesson from on line so I gave my copy to another teacher. I do opening prayer and intro with the kids then dh teaches the main points. We have mostly boys. Had a girl added to the mix who just got baptized. I need to make sure I sit her with someone who can help her with scriptures. It's going to be an interesting year. V.

Curelom
Member # 1439

[Yawn] I'd better get up. It isn't decent, patriotic, or charitable to sleep the whole afternoon away after church. [Big laugh] I wnt only for Sacrament, sat in the foyer so I wouldn't be near many people, then came home, had some soup, read for awhile, & went to sleep. I'm glad to see that no furries snuck in to snuggle up & make me sneeze & cough even more.

* Comes out of the bedroom in fleece hoodie bathrobe & woolly slippers *

Look at all the people in the Cabin! If I'd known company was coming, I'd have put on some respectable clothes. [Roll Eyes] Is everyone here because this is New Year's Day, or because it's cold & dark & there isn't anything going on elsewhere? It's great to see everyone. I'll give virtual hugs because I still have the bug that's apparently been active in my social circle. [Group Hug]

Sorry about the chaos that apparently reigned on some people's Sabbath. Yes, it will just brighten up from now on. "Starry Night" is beautiful, Goody. If I do one square foot of counted cross stitch, it's a huge achievement (& then I am cross-eyed & half-blind for the next 3 months [Eek!] ).

Who brought the beef barley soup? I think it's just what I need. [Razz] I can wait to have pie later.

[ January 02, 2012, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

Curelom
Member # 1439

* tap tap *

[Yawn] What is that tapping on my ankles? Yes, Punkin? Can I help you?

You want to show me your Christmas gift to the Incabitants? I know a mysterious box arrived yesterday, & I figured it was a very delayed Christmas shipment, but I didn't feel well & decided not to open it until more people were here.

Oh, here's a note on it. I see what happened, it was mistakenly delivered to the Porch, & no one was there so UPS left it. After a couple days you started worrying & went to look for it, then you got the manager at the police horse farm to bring it here. Awww, what a sweet kitty. You deserve a hug [Kiss] even if I'm gonna pay for it later.

Can we wait until tomorrow to open it when more of us are awake? OK, we'll do that. I'm glad our Christmas trees are still up. I'm sorry this happened, Punkin, but we appreciate it & love you just the same. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 701

Goody, looks great! It's probably no surprise that that's one of my favourite paintings. [Smile]

Happy new year, everyone! I'm looking forward to seeing what Punkin brought for us. [Smile]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Yes, Punkin, I know you want to unveil it, & you've been patient since it got sidetracked. Let's unwrap it by the Christmas tree.

Since it's evening & more Incabitants are around, Punkin wants to present her belated Christmas gift to her humans.

Well, lookie here! This is wonderful, Punkin! We've been using that little old model for so long & it's about to give up the ghost. This has more capacity & we'll be able to use it in all seasons here & at the Porch.

And here's something to go with it, for newbees or those who can use some new ideas.

Thank you, Punkin! [Kiss] Yes, I'm feeling a little better, I think you can sit on my lap.

quidscribis
Member # 701

That dehydrator looks very cool! I'd love to have one here so I could dry papaya and mangos when we have a surplus. [Smile]

Speaking of mangoes, Fahim's mother gave us a half dozen yesterday from their tree - this is the best mango in the world! They're not ripe yet, so they're sitting on the table in a plastic bag. One or two ought to be ripe by tomorrow.

In other news, the nail on one of my fingers is growing back finally. Long story short involving an infected hangnail and the remaining nail that's only half-attached and a month or so waiting to see what would happen...

CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, ow?!

I have some Thai recipes that call for green mango, but I've been too chicken to try them. Have you ever used green mango?

I'm learning from the Turks that eating unripe fruit is something I should be willing to try. I've done it with persimmons, and that was a success story. The oranges, not so much. Turkish oranges are more acidic on my tongue than the Florida/California ones I've grown up with all my life. When they're still not-quite-ripe, it's just a bit much.

Posts: 4701 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

The nail/finger doesn't actually hurt. It only hurt slightly the first few days the nail bed was exposed, but bandaids kept it protected well enough. It sounds grosser than it looks. Does that help? [Smile]

Unripe mango - yes, we curry it. [Big Grin] Do you want a recipe? It's fantastic, just so you know. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 701

Ooh, I should add - I wouldn't mind the Thai recipes using green mango. Nope, wouldn't mind at all. [Big Grin]
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me see what I can do.

ETA: Hey, what ever happened to the Nauvoo cookbook? And is it time to start another one?

[ January 03, 2012, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: CrowGirl ]

Posts: 4701 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

Good question!

Hmm. Now you have me wondering. Maybe we should do an online one where people can add recipes anytime they like?

Curelom
Member # 1439

Punkin, shall we try & figure out how to use your new dehydrator? We have lots of fruits & veggies in the kitchen, so why don't we start with one of Quid's mangoes, & a couple of the zucchinis that some kind neighbor brought us, & these apples? We have to slice them thin, & we'll dip them in lemon juice to preserve the color.

I wonder if we can do meat for jerky with produce in the same batch, or if they will need different settings.

Maybe we should read the instructions. [Big laugh] You can hold the page open & I'll read. I can see we're going to have fun with this. And of course, when there's something to eat involved, everyone has a good time. [Razz]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Here's an interesting story. It says that just before Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Mother's Day are busy times for bail bondsmen. It's when folks want to bail their family members out of jail.

And it probably isn't just coincidence that holidays are when some of the nastiest domestic disputes happen. Maybe some of these folks shouldn't be sprung.

Did anyone here at the Cabin bail out your loved ones for the holidays? Me neither, I decided to let 'em all sit there & stew.

Sure, Punkin, we can go visit them later this week.

Curelom
Member # 1439

V hasn't been here in a couple of days. I hope she's doing OK. I wonder how her brother is doing.

Punkin, you can sleep at the foot of my bed, or next to the bed. I'm sorry, I still have the wheezes & I can give you TLC for a few minutes but not have you sleep near my face. Ivie will keep you company.

Last night & much of today were very foggy here. Tonight it's almost clear. Who knows what morning might bring. Mother Nature is so fickle. I'd better cover up well. I don't want to delay my recovery a minute longer than necessary because I hate being even a little under the weather. [Grumble]

V.
Member # 1727

I've been here, just quiet! Have a lot on my mind at the moment. Db is working on quitting cigarettes. I pray this time he sticks to his decision.

I am in charge of a revel this Saturday and I know I've missed something, but what?

It's cold in my corner of the Cabin so I will be happy to snuggle with the furry ones to get warm. Night, everyone! V.

quidscribis
Member # 701

A huge flock of the green parrots were flying around our neighborhood yesterday. They seem to be here most, maybe all, Decembers. I didn't think they were migratory, but that's how it seems to go. Maybe Parrot was with them?
Curelom
Member # 1439

I hope Parrot was there. Punkin spent a lot of time on the west side today, so maybe she got to see him. Punkin is especially fond of Parrot & has missed him a lot. Every time an unusual bird comes along, she perks up & checks it out. It's a bit sad to watch, but I like knowing we have a cat with a soft spot for birds.

We made some seasoned zucchini slices & mangoes in the new dehydrator. This is our first effort with Punkin's Christmas gift, so I hope they turned out well. Even if they didn't, please show her how appreciative we are. [Smile] We'll get better as we use it more.

[ January 04, 2012, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

Curelom
Member # 1439

* The page turns, an owl hoots in the woods, & Ivie quickly slides under the bed. *

Don't worry, Ivie. That was a little owl. Little owls don't eat pets. They leave them for the bigger owls.

V.
Member # 1727

It seems the heater has finally caught up to the cold and quit running constantly. I hate to see what my electric bill is gonna be.

Activity Days went well. We played a hide and match game doing the 13 AoF. It seemed the girls enjoyed it.

So tonight I am up cooking pizza! Had a late lunch and no dinner. Nothing extra to put on it except cheese. That's okay though as I like pepperoni and extra cheese.

Snack and then bed! Night everyone! V.

This topic comprises 207 pages: 1  2  3  ...  176  177  178  179  180  181  182  ...  205  206  207 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page