Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » The Porch (Page 165)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 239 pages: 1  2  3  ...  162  163  164  165  166  167  168  ...  237  238  239 

Author Topic: The Porch
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Quid. [Wave]

Catfish is not related to cats but is called that because it has whiskers. I think that's what interested Punkin. Some people who aren't crazy about fish like catfish because it has a milder flavor. You can cook it like any other fish. It's popular in the southeastern U.S. I suspect that the oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico may affect catfsih as well as shrimp & oyster fisheries for a long time. [Frown] Catfish are also farmed, like many other ocean edibles.

For fried okra, make a batter like you would for most other deep-fried foods. I use egg & cornmeal. I don't measure anything but just mix up whatever amounts I need for the consistency I want. I like it medium-thick so it will stay on the food being battered. The batter can be seasoned however you like. For packaged frozen okra, I let it partly thaw out. Preheat cooking oil until a drop of water sizzles on it. Roll the okra pieces in the batter to coat them, then ease them into the hot oil & fry until the batter is as crisp & golden as you want it.

Posts: 14449 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Here is more about okra.

As the article mentions, there are pods on the inside that tend to have a sort of slimy texture that some people don't care for. Moist cooking methods or breaking the pods tend to increase this. OTOH, when used in Southern U.S. dishes like gumbo, it acts as a thickener.

Deep frying is a more dry cooking method that doesn't break the pods & tends to leave the okra more crisp. My fried Okra is similar in texture to a crisp green bean & I find there is no "objectionable" slimy texture.

Posts: 14449 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for V.   Email V.         Edit/Delete Post 
Yummmm! The okra sounds good. We had steak, baked potato and salad tonight. Hubby grilled zuchini as well. This was my "it's awesome to be alive" dinner.
V.

Posts: 4303 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

I like my okra deep fried. I no like it in ze file gumbo.

Well, I am gonna mosey along. V.

Posts: 4303 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Good news! V is eating steak, baked potato, grilled zucchini, & salad. [Razz] That means she is all mended & we can stop feeling sorry for her & worrying about her.
[The Wave]

Yes, Annabelle, you may go & flop down in the middle of her bed. You too, Ivie. Yes, Punkin, it's fine for you to join them & bring your little pal with you. I'll bring the toy shark after I wash it, because you had it outside in the dirt. We don't want to mess up her bed. [Big laugh]

quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
V., glad to hear you're having a "great to be alive" dinner. [Big Grin]

We have okra every couple of weeks or so here, but locally, they're called ladies fingers and generally are 5 to 8 inches or so long. We test for suitability by snapping off the ends. If it snaps clean off, it's fine. If the end hangs by its tough fibres, then it's too tough. We usually have it in a curry, but I'm thinking deep fried is something we ought to give a try. [Smile] Thanks, Curelom, for your descriptive of how you cook it. [Smile]

Posts: 4895 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meadowbee
Member # 1483

- posted      Profile for meadowbee   Email meadowbee         Edit/Delete Post 
More okra, and grilled zucchini. My semi- (no 3/4)-vegetarian heart rejoiceth. I've been pondering plagues a lot today, preparing for tomorrow's Primary lesson. We have so many out-of-towners this weekend that we're combining three classes. Unlike the actual plagues, I think it's going to be fun!
Posts: 4058 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

I've been out strolling around Nauvoo, visiting & chatting with different nabors. Dreyfuss & Ivie came along for the walk.

Now I'm ready for a bite of the grilled zucchini & a piece of Jana's b'day cake, a shower, a few minutes of reading, & then [Sleep] <zzzz>. Punkin may stay out for awhile. There is still a lot of moonlight & she'll want to watch the bats.

V.
Member # 1727

Ah, Curelom, I so wish the struggle was over. I still have staples from breastbone to navel. Yuck. I am glad to be able to eat, though. V.
Curelom
Member # 1439

V, I'll clear all the critters off your bed, if there's a chance they'll make you uncomfortable or be in your way.

Not to worry, you'll still be in our prayers for a quick full recovery.

quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
V., those staples sound so painful! Ugh! You have my sympathy. [Frown]
Posts: 4895 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
<straggles in bearing cake>

hey, howdy, and here I am!

This week's been a winner. We were in Edinburgh mostly --my first visit and it was fine- the weather cooperated, the ash cloud co-operated and my feet hurt but what a nice place to play for a few days. We booked at The Glasshouse. Google it. It deserves every one of its five stars and boy did we get a deal on our room! PLUS it was on the third floor and walk right out onto a rooftop garden that could fooled my it was the roof of a building-with view to match. I now can say I have seen the Firth of Forth-- and been entertained by five high school(bag)pipe and drum corps playing at the Queen's residence at Holyrood for dignitaries soiree. Great stuff.

Saturday we hosted my 60th birthday and Sunday was ward conference so I am just now bearing the cake to the cabin. There's flourless chocolate, there's carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and there is angel food with strawberries and cream. Did I ever tell you my little family all thought it was called Angel Fruit cake??? I always serves fresh fruit with it and that is what they heard. I thought it was just the kids-but last year found out Hubby thought it was FRUIT and not FOOD as well. I never laughed so hard in my life.

Well, I have to go catch up with a week's worth of laundry--oh the dryer got fixed so my arm can finally heal. I am delighted.

Pop is off to Germany, home a few days and then off to Italy and Chicago back to back. He gets home just in time for David's diploma if the ash cloud stays dormant.--and then the summer renovation project begins.. GAAAAH!

Keep my corner open!

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, V. shades of Frankenstien. I hope they don't itch like stiches do--does cocoa butter help?

((((gentle hugs))))

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meadowbee
Member # 1483

I hear tinkling chimes. Angel fruit cake delivered by a living, breathing birthday angel. Heavenly! That is the way to start off a magical week.
Posts: 4058 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

Jana, the staples aren't itching but they are drying out and getting tighter. I'm calling the doc's office to see if I can get in to see an associate because I am not going to make it to next week with these staples. V.
V.
Member # 1727

Cake should help things feel better. Jana, how come so many kinds? V
Curelom
Member # 1439

[Razz] <Yummm>. I will have some of the Angel Fruit cake, please. Thank you, Jana. It sounds like you had a fine "birthday season." [Cool] <cool>

Ouch, V! [Eek!] [Grumble] <grump>

What are these staples made of, metal, plastic, something organic? This sounds awful. I hope you can get into the doc's office to get some relief.

Let me know if you need the Critter Express re-organized to get stuff for you from shelves or the fridge. Dreyfuss & Punkin are ready to mobilize the other four-footers & the wagon.

Yes, Annabelle, it's fine to sit by her side on the couch, but don't get on her lap or put any pressure on her front, OK? I know she misses your snuggling & all the critter TLC, so she'll just pet you for now & then let you know what works for her.

[ May 31, 2010, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

V.
Member # 1727

Metal. Lots of metal. Haven't counted them.

Yes, Annabelle, I can still snuggle. Just can't have anyone on my lap yet. I think dd is going to go to bed soon. So I probably won't be back on tonight. V.

quidscribis
Member # 701

V., I'm glad you have people there to take care of you. Would aloe vera help the tightness and dryness of the skin around the staples?
Curelom
Member # 1439

* Punkin wants a bite of Angel Foot cake.*

No, sweetie, it's Angel FOOD. Or is it Angel FRUIT? [Smile] Anyway...I'll cut a little bite for you. Not too much, because it has sugar. I know you like fruit, so let's add a berry or two.

V is sound asleep in her corner. I hope she gets to see the doctor or his assistant soon & gets some relief from those mean old staples. [Grumble]

Annabelle is being good & sleeping on the shelf by the bed. Let's give her one of these pet blankies in case it cools off. We had a pleasant day but now the fog has settled in. The other critters are piled up back by the kitchen, & they seem warm enough. You're the only one still awake, so let's go outside & have a last breath of fresh air before we turn in.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

Why so many kinds of cake? It's a Dutch thing. Usually, cake for Dutch birthdays are not homemade. In fact, there are homes that have no ovens here. Home baking is not as popular here as it is in neighboring countries. You go to the bakery and select from a variety of single serving pastries. The bases range from puff pastry to fine cake, fillings include anything from sweet whipped cream to mocha to leamon pudding. Marzipan and chocolate top many offerings, fruit and nuts too.
Sometimes people go to the Dutch version of Sam's which caters to the restaurant trade, and buy whole frozen cakes-at least three varieties. They are high quality so they are just as yummy as fresh bakery.

So when I bake for clan gatherings, I make a cupcakes, individual tarts and angel cake slices with fruit. The angel cake goes first. The family had never seen or heard of angel cake before I arrived.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

Why so many kinds of cake? It's a Dutch thing. Usually, cake for Dutch birthdays are not homemade. In fact, there are homes that have no ovens here. Home baking is not as popular here as it is in neighboring countries. You go to the bakery and select from a variety of single serving pastries. The bases range from puff pastry to fine cake, fillings include anything from sweet whipped cream to mocha to leamon pudding. Marzipan and chocolate top many offerings, fruit and nuts too.
Sometimes people go to the Dutch version of Sam's which caters to the restaurant trade, and buy whole frozen cakes-at least three varieties. They are high quality so they are just as yummy as fresh bakery.

So when I bake for clan gatherings, I make a cupcakes, individual tarts and angel cake slices with fruit. The angel cake goes first. The family had never seen or heard of angel cake before I arrived.

quidscribis
Member # 701

Good to hear from you, Jana. [Smile]

The thing about no ovens is similar to here, except that even when people have ovens, they still don't use them. Except me. And there's no compensation with multiple types of cake.

Fahim and his family had never had a whole lot of things I love before I moved here - brownies, Nanaimo bars, brigadeiros (although that was new to me, too...)... But they're usually up for trying new things. Usually. [Smile]

V.
Member # 1727

Good morning. I just got ahold of the computer this morning. I am bored to tears and need something to do beside reading!!

Dd got on yesterday and didn't get off til after I'd gone to bed. I am glad she shares with me though. V.

meadowbee
Member # 1483

Something to do other than reading? How about some quality pampering? I just returned from having a manicure and a pedicure. Just getting ready for the cruise, you know. That's my recommendation for you, V. Id love to whisk you off to just such a location.
Curelom
Member # 1439

I'm planning a Porchupine getaway at a mineral springs spa resort, Dr.Wilkinson's. It's a historic place, one of the oldest places in Calistoga to get "the treatments."

There's a variety of lodging. Depending on how many Porchupines want to go, we can rent a couple of bungalows or maybe the Victorian house with five bedrooms. Then we can have mud baths, mineral whirlpool baths, massages, facials, & swimming in the mineral pools.

We'll wait until V is far enough along so she can enjoy any of the treatments. She can let us know when she's ready. And let's wait until Meadowbee is back, so all the "regular" Porchupines can do this together.

Maybe we'll have one "lady porchupine" & one "co-ed" getaway, so no one will feel left out. [Smile]

Calistoga is a Napa Valley town famous for hot mineral springs (it even has a natural geyser called "Old Faithful"). It was founded in the 1850s by Sam Brannan. Yes, that Sam Brannan. He was a successful merchant in San Francisco & Sacramento, learned of the Calistoga hot springs, & began developing resorts. They continued to make him rich, but he lost far more. His story is interesting & instructive. Anyway, there are quaint shops & restaurants & a local museum with aa major exhibit about Sam Brannan. If we end up staying over the weekend, we can go to church about 10 miles away in St. Helena.

I'll check on that, Punkin. I don't know if animals are allowed. If not, some of the Porchupines may not go & will be here, or all of you can go to the Clowers' ranch.

[ June 03, 2010, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

meadowbee
Member # 1483

Mud baths would provide some great pictures for sure. Yes, do wait till I'm back. V. probably needs a little more time to recover too.
I had the pleasure of going with a group of folks to a waist-deep or deeper mud hole somewhere in the Provo area years ago. Squishy and fun!

[ June 03, 2010, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: meadowbee ]

V.
Member # 1727

Warm and squishy! Sounds like fun to me. By the time Meadowbee gets back I should be up to something fun. V.
V.
Member # 1727

I have a lot on my mind today. Please pray my brother can find some work so he doesn't have to go to his mom. V.
quidscribis
Member # 701

Oddly enough, I've wanted to do a warm and squishy mud bath for a long time. [Smile]

V., prayers are on their way. [Smile]

There's fried chicken, slightly spicy, and broccoli and other green veggies in a cream sauce over pasta for everyone. [Smile]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Good, the concensus is that we wait until V & Meadowbee can join us for the spa getaway. I'll get more info on the place, look up some restaurants & other activities we can do, & keep you posted.

Thanks for eats, Quid. [Razz] Yummm! I didn't have time to do major cooking, so this is perfect. However, I did go to the store & buy a lemon creme pie. It's in the fridge.

Curelom
Member # 1439

V, your brother will be in my prayers. You too. [Group Hug]
V.
Member # 1727

Thanks, everyone! I only have a few more days with the staples.

I went out for a short while today. A friend drove my van so I could go get dinner for my family as dh had need of sleeping late.

I am thinking it's time for sleep! Sleep sweet, everyone! V.

Curelom
Member # 1439

Sleep comfy, V. [Sleep] <zzzz>

Here's Annabelle. I'll get her settled on the shelf by your bed, & it's a warm night so she doesn't want a blankie. Ivie is under the nightstand, so be careful not to step on her if you get up in the dark. [Eek!] The other critters decided to sleep closer to the edge of the Porch in the fresh air because it's such a pleasant night.

Curelom
Member # 1439

* The page turns, a breeze stirs the trees, an owl hoots, & Punkin meows back. *

[Yawn] <yawn>, Go back to sleep, Punkin. You'll never catch an owl. They have very light, fine feathers so they don't make a sound when they fly. You'd better hope that if one pounces on you, you wake up soon enough to escape its clutches before you end up as feline mignon for a family of gourmet baby owls. [Eek!]

V.
Member # 1727

Well. a new day dawns. I am so ready to see my doc on Tuesday.

It's a pretty day here. The sun is shinning and the birds are happy that I got the feeders filled.
What good friends I have.

I'll be back later. V.

meadowbee
Member # 1483

Have fun, y'all. I'll be back to the Porch on the 13th or 14th. V., by then those staples will be history. Yay! [Wave]
Curelom
Member # 1439

[Wave] <waves "bon voyage" to Meadowbee.> Have a great trip, & we'll be waiting to hear about your adventures. I hope you checked your luggage to make sure none of the critters stowed away. [Roll Eyes] <eye rolling>

The weather has been strange today. It started with heavy fog or drizzle, then dried out but remained humid. It's still pretty muggy. The fog has come back but it isn't cold. So Punkin & I are going to grill hotdogs on her fire pit. No, Pepper, we don't mean you. These hotdogs are sausages. We have all the fixings, & anyone is welcome to come join us.

I know Annabelle didn't stow away, because filled the pet wading pool for her & she's out there cavorting. Obviously this is not our dog Pepper; I can't get these folks to put the right label on this picture.

quidscribis
Member # 701

Have a great time, Meadowbee!

V., I can hardly wait until your staples are out. Although I imagine you're more impatient than I. Can't imagine why. [Wink]

I got a new weather app on my iPhone that shows not just the usual temperature, humidity, dewpoint, et cetera and et cetera, but it also shows a "feels like" temperature, no doubt calculated with temperature, humidity, wind speeds, and who knows what else in mind. Rightnow it's a measly 28C (82F), which doesn't seem so bad, right? But the "feels like" temperature is 41C (106F). No wonder I've been hot since I came to this country.

And? By the way? It's only 8:20am. 28C is about as cool as it ever gets here. Okay, sometimes it dips down to 27C, and I've seen it go to 26C on very rare occasions. I'm talking overnight, not daytime. Daytime averages are 30-35C.

It's not my imagination. It's not. I really am dying from the heat here.

V.
Member # 1727

Quid, I don't envy you! Humidity here always make it feel worse.

Goody, I forgot to thank you for your sweet note. I received it the first of the week.

I went out for a ride last night just to get something at Taco Bell and then dh came the long way home for me. It helped. V.

This topic comprises 239 pages: 1  2  3  ...  162  163  164  165  166  167  168  ...  237  238  239 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page