Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » The Porch (Page 199)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 239 pages: 1  2  3  ...  196  197  198  199  200  201  202  ...  237  238  239 

Author Topic: The Porch
V.
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for V.   Email V.         Edit/Delete Post 
So much going on in the world. So much tragedy.

I am glad to see everyone in S.TX came through okay. I pray it isn't going to be a long tornado season down there.

We have been having short bursts of afternoon showers, typical of FL this time of year.

Yesterday kinda got crazy as I was getting ready to leave for my leg therapy session. However, the good news is that the rotting limb from the oak tree was removed yesterday. Otoh, the oak is now really heavy on one side and I pray if it goes, no one will be near it. It's leaning toward the road.

I've been falling asleep early in my chair so if you guys don't see me awake it's because I get up and wander to bed without checking in. V.

Posts: 4303 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, roper, nice to see you back at the Porch! [Wave] You weren't the only one who did a double take at reading about V's "rotting limb" [Eek!] !!!

V, that was a dirty, dirty trick to play on all of us! [Roll Eyes]

Jana, I see now from reading the articles more carefully that this was regular trip to Switzerland for those kids, part of the passage from what we in the U.S. would call grade school. A heartbreaking tragedy, all those vibrant young kids gone so suddenly on what should have been a happy trip home. I also see that the suspect in Toulouse is not going to be harassing or harming anyone else. I am going to put the people involved in these tragedies on the prayer roll. I don't know any names, but the Lord will know what I mean.

Yes, Punkin, I hear you. She had a long day & wants to turn in, but she wants some TLC first. It's such a beautiful starry night. Let's move the cot near the edge of the Porch so we can see the sky, & hear the coyotes & owls better.

Posts: 14451 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

I am sooo sorry folks! The "limb" attached to my body is just swollen, not rotting. The tree limb was definitely a real danger. The tree guy told my landlord he was surprised the limb hadn't come down on it's own.

Thursday was an easy going day. Today(Fri) will be anxious. I can and will do what is needed, just hate this feeling of not knowing what my body has decided. I'll let everyone know later what my oncologist says.

Roper, glad to see you visiting the Porch. You are always welcome, most especially since you provide awesome dinners. V.

Posts: 4303 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
Our car is in the shop for the third time in less than a month today. We had the clutch replaced and the transmission rebuilt - ouch! When we came home from Italy the clutch was slipping so we took it back in. Unfortunately it is still slipping so it is back in again today. I hope it finally gets figured out today.
Posts: 5586 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Ouch indeed, yungmom. [Grumble] What a PITB to come back to after such a great trip. BTW, we are waiting to hear about the trip. [Smile]

While you were away... V got rid of her rotting limb, CrowBaby had her birthday & we celebrated with apple cake, Redd was bombed by a giant flying bat thing, & there was an attack on the Porch that resulted in a gourmet dinner for all of us. Long story, you'll have to go back a few days.

The bats have gone out for the nightly hunt & it's mostly quiet here except for the owls & coyotes. Punkin, let's sit out here on one of your Adirondack chairs & enjoy the breeze & enjoy the wild critter music. Yes, V may join us soon. She had to go dump the rotten limb.

Posts: 14451 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Before I forget - Punkin wanted to be sure I didn't forget to share these critter stories.

Pup born with a foot missing will get a proshetic foot & work as a service dog.

Cat survives 150-200 foot fall from a window, with no cuts or fractures.

Kitty stows away under hood & rides 85 miles, across the Golden Gate Bridge & through San Francisco.

[ March 24, 2012, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

V.
Member # 1727

Yungmom, what a pain to have work done and then still have the problem. I feel for you.

Well, the news wasn't good yesterday. My tumor marker # is back up to 30(5 being normal). My oncologist wants to talk about radiation to the rectal area. I hate the thought for physical reasons. I will be starting back on Chemo sometime in the next few weeks. It will be back to the Xeloda pills.

I am going to ask to be released from my Activity Day girls at the end of the school year. I want to keep my Primary class. I am also going to turn over my officer position in my shire. I am setting plans in place for that in the next week.
Those are the two most stressful areas that I have some control over.

One day at a time. I am glad I have good people around me to keep me going! V.

yungmom
Member # 619

V - I'm sorry. Will definitely keep you in my prayers. I'm glad you are willing to let go of some things for now and fill your own cup. I wish I could help you more. [Group Hug]

We have the car back home, but can't find out what is wrong with it. The guys at the shop did several drives, but couldn't get it to do what Rex said it was doing. So we are supposed to drive it around some and see if it keeps up.

Posts: 5586 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

quote:
we are waiting to hear about the trip.
It was lovely. I kept thinking while gone that I would miss home, but I really didn't. I really enjoyed myself and being with Rex.

We did so much walking and I loved that. I lost 6 pounds those 2 weeks and didn't really watch what I was eating. Well, I did watch, but I approached it as I wasn't going to deprive myself, but I wasn't going to eat just because it was there. Unfortunately I've already gained some of it back.

My favorite night came from something that went wrong. Rex's shoes.

At lunch time in Florence we headed to a little restaurant that was recommended. Somehow Rex's shoe got caught in the cobblestone and the sole came almost completely off except for by the toes. Now this wouldn't be too bad except that we were trying to pack light. Rex is 6'5" and is not a small man. His shoes are not small either. So in packing I realized the only way we could pack another pair of shoes was to take a second suitcase. (We had one suitcase that we could carry on and then packed a duffle bag in it for bringing things home.) So he decided that he would only bring the shoes he was wearing even though I had not problems with doing a second suitcase.

We were right outside the restaurant so went in, ordered lunch and then asked for suggestions of where to find biiiig shoes. They looked at his shoe, found some goop and Rex put it in between the sole and and the shoe. Then he kept it flat while we were eating.

They directed us to a shoe store that was not far away. Unfortunately the store didn't have his size. He directed us to another store.

The goop is not holding and we know that if we don't find shoes soon he will no longer have a sole. After traveling in the direction of the shoe store we finally asked someone if they knew where it was. Oh, it was in a different direction than we were heading. So we traveled that way for a long time before asking and when asking someone again we find it is again in a different direction.

Meanwhile I need to go to the bathroom. There are not a lot of public toilets and I'm hoping that we can get the shoes first. Then sole comes off. The goop has been squirting out and getting all over Rex's pants. On the bottom of Rex's shoe is a metal bar - we always wondered what stopped him when we went through airport security. So I am dying of laughter, trying to hold everything as he is going across the cobblestone "step, click, step, click". People are trying to figure out what is going on, I am calling him "Pegleg" and he has this look on his face that is half embarrassed and half amused.

So I go into another store and I ask if they know where this shoe store is. The guy huffs and rolls his eyes. He stomps out of the store and then points...right next door. Now in our defense it was around a slight corner and we were coming in the other direction. This only makes me laugh harder.

To make a long story shorter - we found shoes for him! Not Italian leather like we hoped - we are after all in Italy and that would make sense. At least they fit. And I found a bathroom soon after that!

The next night we had a cooking class. We were divided up into 4 groups. A mother and daughter from New York were in our group. The mom was older. The daughter a few years older than us. We got the impression things hadn't been going so well. The mom was tired and needed to rest. She was so funny though - eating some of the veggies she was cutting up and making our teacher just laugh every time he caught her.

Rex was in rare form. He isn't very social, but this night he was. He told the story of the shoe and were were all laughing hard over it. He told jokes. He told how engineers (Rex) needed marketing people (the daughter).

After preparing things we went to a dining room where we were able to eat the food we prepared. They set a bottle of wine on each table. The daughter had a little bit, but the other 3 of us didn't. The other tables went through 2-3 bottles. They kept commenting on how much fun we were having because we were laughing so hard. The daughter even one time said, "And no one's drinking! to which all the tables laughed.

Up the stairs we went afterwards. Rex helped the mom up. The daughter kept thanking me for the evening. When we got up to the top the mom said, when they were dividing us up she was really hoping they wouldn't get put with us because Rex was too big and we were too serious! We all laughed at that.

It was one of those magical nights. I don't think it is why we went to Italy, but I do think the Lord had a part in it.

We really enjoyed ourselves. I really recommend going to anyone. Loved the sense of history. Even liked the art (thanks to some reading 2 weeks before we left and the Rick Steve's audio guides.) We will probably never go back - there are other places we want to go to as well, but loved being there and would chose to do it again knowing what we know now.

Curelom
Member # 1439

V, I'm sorry about this setback & the stress it must be causing you. I will keep you in my prayers, & you'll continue to be on the prayer roll. Giving up Activity Days will probably make you sad, but you'll get additional rest that should do you good.

"We have the car back home, but can't find out what is wrong with it. The guys at the shop did several drives, but couldn't get it to do what Rex said it was doing."

Doesn't that just drive you crazy? [Roll Eyes] When that happens, I picture the repair or customer service people rolling their eyes at each other & thinking, "You're just imagining things."

But what a great trip, sounds like you had a great time, shoe mishap or not. I think the sense of history would be awesome. In America, something is "ancient" if it predates the colonial periods (English in the East, Spanish in the West). For folks in Italy, or other Eastern Hemisphere countries, 1776 is just the other day. [Cool]

[ March 24, 2012, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

michaelaa
Member # 11300

- posted      Profile for michaelaa   Email michaelaa         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, V, I'm sorry I have not been here to be more of a support. I'm just getting ready to move back to Nauvoo. It'll take a few weeks, but I'm headed this direction. [Group Hug] and prayers for you.

Italy? Ohhhhhhh . . . If only I'd been here maybe I could have taken a back seat - - - in your suitcase! Think that would have got me through customs? [Big Grin] My brother gave me a lovely Italian cookbook several years ago. Unfortunately my kitchen was so small I never used it. Now I have a big kitchen, but no Italian cookbook.

Front Runner will be leaving soon, so got to go. Still have lots of loose ends to tie up before I can call this home again. Can't wait.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Trudge, trudge.... slosh, slosh.

It sure is ugly up here, Dreyfuss. I'm glad you came with me. Either of us could probably make it alone, but it's nice to have company on a wet & cold night like this.

It looks like all is well here at the Porch, although no one is here.

* Lights fireplace, hangs up wet rainwear, gets out a couple of towels. *

Let's rest & warm up, & I'll warm up some of the chicken potato chowder that I made the other day. While we're waiting, let's clean up & dry off. You're a sight, covered with mud. Why don't we both get in the shower? I think there's enough space. [Big laugh] In fact, let's not even go back to town tonight, we'll be warm & dry here. The other critters are in the 24h laundromat & better off than we are. [Razz]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Look, Dreyfuss, Michaela made it here! She must have slipped in the other side while I was hanging out my rainwear & you were shaking yourself off.

If we weren't soaking wet, we could give her a hug. But we don't want to give her pneumonia.

She says she expects to move back to Nauvoo soon. Isn't that great news?

* Adds more chicken potato chowder to the pot now that there are 3 of us here. *

quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow. I hadn't realized I haven't said anything in four days. I've been here, I've been keeping up on everything, but I've had such a bad headache that that's as far as it went. [Frown]

Happy birthday, Crowbaby! Crowgirl, that cake sounds fabulous! What makes it a raw apple cake?

V., so sorry to hear about the tumour markers. I was so hoping that wouldn't be the case. [Frown]

yungmom, your trip sounds so fantastic, shoe incident and all. [Smile]

michaela, so glad to see you.

It isn't even noon and I've already had one nap. I'll probably have another this afternoon. The pain in my head and neck is really really bad today. It's set off my photosensitivity, too. I'm parking myself on the easy chair. Any furballs want to join me?

Posts: 4896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

Weird? [Dont Know] Saw "where's the Porch" but didn't see the Porch and then all of a sudden the Porch reappears.

Yungmom, you tell you of your adventures very well! I have laughter in my heart and am glad to know Rex has such a wonderful sense of humor! Glad you two had a good time.

Quid, sorry you were having issues! Just stay in the shade and stay cool. I see Annabelle joined you as I was away. I brought all the creatures up with me through the back door where it wasn't so muddy.

Michaela, it will be soooo great to have you back. You have been horribly missed!

I am doing okay. The knowledge is settling in and decisions already made so I am not freaking. I'm just worried at what is being missed. My new oncologist is really nice and likes to be there for his patients. That helps.

So, I need to curl up and get some sleep so I can be awake for church.

Goodnight all! V.

[ March 25, 2012, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: V. ]

quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
V., I'm glad you're doing okay with the news and that you have a good oncologist. You'll remain in my prayers.

Annabelle, thanks for joining me. I'm going to take a nap now... [Sleep]

Posts: 4896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

I talked to my bishopric counselor today and have asked to be released from my Activity Day girls at the end of the school year. It leaves me needing to make sure all is in order to turn over to someone else. He is going to consider calling someone to work with me and then have her step in when I am released. The agreement for my Primary class is that I will let them know if it is too much for me. That is the class I share with hubby so it should be okay.

Today was gorgeous on my corner of the Porch. I came home from church and pulled out my summer garb. It was so nice! It's also so nice to have my friend home from overseas.

This is gonna be a busy week. I will be around though. V.

quidscribis
Member # 701

I made curried deer today because deer meat is available here (SG$30 per kilo, or about US$11 per pound [Eek!] ). It turned out very well. Happiness abounds. And there's leftovers in the fridge, so help yourselves. It's not too hot at all, so even our furballs can have some. [Smile]

The goat we get here in Singapore doesn't have the goaty smell/taste that it does in Sri Lanka, so we're much happier with the quality of goat meat here as well. Fahim reacts to beef and lamb, so we're better off choosing other animal meat instead, so that's why the goat and deer is happiness inducing. [Smile] It's nice to have red meat again. [Smile]

And I still love the Sri Lankan cookbook that Fahim's cousin got me five or six years ago. The recipes are so reliably good, which I don't always find in every cookbook. So yay!

Off to get some stuff done. The nasty headache is gone gone gone. Yay!

V.
Member # 1727

Quid, glad you could find a peaceful place to get rid of the headache. That's sometimes really hard to do.

It's Monday here and I am off to my ot for my legs. I'll be back later. V.

quidscribis
Member # 701

I have tonsillitis. I'm making chicken soup today.
Curelom
Member # 1439

Ouch, Quid. [Grumble] I'm sorry to hear that & hope the chicken soup works. I also have a pot of menudo on the stove. I don't remember if you said you like it or don't like it, but if you don't, Tellulah & Oberon will help me eat it. It's a spicy Mexican soup made of beef tripe, hominy, & chili peppers, traditionally served with oregano, chopped onions, & maybe a wedge of lime or lemon. Some folks think it'll chase away a hangover, so it's probably good for anything imaginable.

OK, Punkin, I'll put some in a dish for all of you to try, but be forewarned, it's spicy. I should probably water it down for you American critters.

Maybe you fur-balls shouldn't get too close to Quid for now, in case her tonsillitis is aggravated by critter proximity. You can hang out with V & me. I heard chickens earlier today, so Raro must have brought her flock up here to settle in under the Porch. You can play with them tomorrow, Punkin. If you disturb them now, you'll be in big trouble. [Roll Eyes]

[ March 27, 2012, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

quidscribis
Member # 701

This happens to me when we go to a new country - I get every cold and other assorted bugs for the first few months to a year. When I first moved to Sri Lanka, both Fahim and I were sick with one cold after another for a year. He was catching all the bugs I carried but was immune to, and me catching all the bugs he carried but was immune to. It's also why kids get sick a lot in their first years of being in preschool or school. Anyway, it's not the furballs giving me anything. [Smile]

My chicken soup had lemongrass in it, along with cabbage and tomato, both with a lot of vitamin C. It would have been even better had the cabbage been sauerkrauted first, but ya can't have everything. [Smile]

Thanks for the menudo, Curelom. I think I'll pick out the bits of stomach from my bowl of soup and feed that to the furballs while I have my share... I haven't reached the point of appreciating stomach, yet...

Curelom
Member # 1439

The rain has come "storming" back to northern California again. March came in like a lion & it looks to be going out like a lion too. We do need it, so I'll just enjoy it while it lasts & hope it doesn't do anyone any serious harm.

Quid is relaxing in the beanbag chair, & she has convinced the critters that what ails her has nothing to do with them. Pepper is keeping her feet warm, & Ivie is perched on the back of the chair & kneading shoulders. [Smile]

I'm surprised you haven't developed a taste for menudo, Quid. You always bring such a great variety of regional goodies & seem to have pretty exotic tastes. [Cool] The beef tripe has a nice chewy texture & it's actually fairly bland, so it goes well with the chili peppers. The critters all liked it, so I rationed their share so I could put a container of it in the freezer in case you feel like trying it later.

But if you'd rather have honey-cornmeal cookies, there's a tray on the kitchen counter. Cornbread is often served with honey in the U.S., so I figured I'd try making cookies with cornmeal instead of flour & substituting honey for sugar. These taste like sweet, crispy cornbread. [Razz] I want to tweak the proportions a bit, but the Porchupines (or critters) will be my first recipe testers. (Be sure to wrap them back up so they can't help themselves).

quidscribis
Member # 701

Curelom, I've tried to like tripe. And brain. And liver. But I have a difficult time with most of it. Liver I can handle in very small quantities or chicken liver made into pate - that I really enjoy. But I also love liverwurst, oddly enough. And I very much enjoy chicken gizzards cooked my mother in law's way. But the rest? Not really. Fahim loves it all. Everyone in his family loves it all.

Pepper and Ivie, thanks for joining me. I love relaxing with cats. So soft, so cute... I'm still taking it real easy, eating soup and drinking lots of warm herbal tea. We can get pomegranate herbal tea here, and it is so fantastic! I need to buy a bunch more...

Honey and cornmeal cookies - that sounds really good! My sister makes an awesome cornmeal bread that we always had with butter and honey and nothing else. It was fantastic. These cookies are, too. Yum!

Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I caved in to temptation last night and bought a Roku box. The straw that broke the camel's back was discovering that Roku has a Mormon Channel which will carry General Conference. And I knew I was going to need a couple nights to make sure it was set up and working correctly before Saturday gets here.

I got the XS model, which has USB support, so I can possibly use it to replace my original plan to build a home theatre PC. Unfortunately, it also means that I have to re-rip all of my movies into a different format because it doesn't support the format I've been writing to. Good thing I planned to put the discs into storage (just in case) once I was done burning. But oh, so much time lost.

If this works out, I will actually save about $100 in computer upgrades that no longer need to be effected. My sister gave me a desktop that she no longer wanted, and I would have had to spend about $300 on a video card with HDMI output, larger hard drive (secondary, so no need to buy a new OS), NIC card, and possibly a new power supply, but the Roku cost me $90, plus an HDMI cable that I would have needed anyway, and I'll need to get an external HD.

On the flip side, though, getting this thing set up has been driving me crazy, and I'm extremely grateful that I've given myself so much lead time. I don't know how much of it is the Roku box and how much is my internet service provider being difficult, because I have been having connection issues for a while anyway. And whenever I call for support, the problem mysteriously vanishes. For a while, at least.

And now Buggie wants to set up tents in the living room for the weekend. One of the kids she babysits told her that they're doing so, and she thinks it's a cool idea. Except I don't have any tents, so I'm trying to think of a way to make that work. Maybe a bunch of chairs for tent stakes with ropes tied across to hold up blankets.

[ March 28, 2012, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 1329 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redd
Member # 1828

- posted      Profile for Redd   Email Redd         Edit/Delete Post 
The weather on this side of the porch is wonderful. It is salad garden weather! I've put in lettuce, early peas and beans and will till up more ground for popcorn. This year I am planting yellow popcorn and strawberry popcorn! The strawberry popcorn has red kernals and looks like elongated strawberries. They pop nearly hull-less too. Too cool to plant them now, but soon soon SOON!
Posts: 2267 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
So the Roku gave Buggie more trouble while I was working than I had realized. But we seem to have it all fixed now. We found more channels of interest - BYU-TV and TedTalks, for example - and are currently listening to Pandora streaming radio through it.

I also stopped on the way home to get a haircut. Turns out my hair got a lot longer than I had realized - my instruction to cut to the top of my shoulder ended up being just an inch shy of being full Locks of Love donation length, so I told the stylist to go ahead and take the extra. It's going to take some time to adjust to it, and it'll be fun to see how many people don't recognize me without my hair halfway down my back. [Smile]

Posts: 1329 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

I had to look up roku boxes. I don't think that sort of thing exists out here. I listen to/watch a lot of TED talks as well - love them! I also listen to/watch a lot of podcasts as well. Mainly, I listen to/watch them while I'm cooking or in the evening when I need down time away from the computer. [Smile]

Redd, that strawberry popcorn sounds delightful! You'll have to take pictures of the kernals and the popped corn so we can see what it looks like. [Smile]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Ah, there’s Quid, relaxing again with Ivie on her lap. [Smile] Pepper is there too. She doesn’t mind being mistaken for a cat, even though she’s a pooch. She does sometimes act like a cat, but she's too big for laps.

I made some more honey-lemon-ginger tea & it's staying warm on the stove.

Quid, I’m surprised you haven’t developed a taste for menudo, since you’re always trying exotic recipes & bringing goodies to the Porch. Tripe is actually rather bland, so it’s good in spicy dishes. It has a nice chewy texture if you don’t overcook it. I’ll keep that portion in the freezer in case you decide to give it another try, but if not, the critters & I will probably finish it next week. [Razz]

Goody, is that you? No, I know it’s you, I could tell by your hair. It’s cute. [Cool] No, Punkin, please don’t play with Goody’s hair. She is not a cat. [Roll Eyes] Go pick on someone your own size.

Is Buggie going to put up a tent for General Conference? If so, you can make it an object lesson. Discuss the story of King Benjamin calling his people to gather at the temple for his sermon, how every family set up a tent & faced the temple, & how “pitching our tent” might symbolize what we prioritize (compare Genesis 13:12 & Mosiah 2:6). Then talk about how our word “stake” for a grouping of wards came about (this is from the Bible).

* Samples some of Redd’s red popcorn. *

Mmmmm.

Curelom
Member # 1439

* A page turns, & the lights go off or are dimmed down the hill in downtown Nauvoo except for the temple. *

Punkin, that's our signal that it's time to turn in. I'll finish this one cornmeal cookie & go brush my teeth. I moved my cot nearer to the edge of the Porch because it's a pleasant night. It's probably in the 60s, & it hasn't rained since last night's deluge ended this morning, Let's listen to the night forest sounds for awhile before we nod off.

quidscribis
Member # 701

Mmm, honey lemon ginger tea... That's one of my favourite flavours. I've been downing it by the gallon. We went grocery shopping, so we have a whole bunch of flavours of herb tea now, mostly fruity. And another kilo of deer meat - that's going to turn into a regular thing for us, it looks like. I'll have to experiment with more ways of cooking red meat. [Smile]

We also picked up some orange flavoured soan papadi and pineapple flavoured soan papadi. You can see some Indian sweets on Haldiran's page. If you see soan papadi by Haldiran, get it. Their soan papadi is excellent. [Smile] Soan papadi is a lot like halva. [Smile]

yungmom
Member # 619

quote:
But if you'd rather have honey-cornmeal cookies, there's a tray on the kitchen counter. Cornbread is often served with honey in the U.S., so I figured I'd try making cookies with cornmeal instead of flour & substituting honey for sugar. These taste like sweet, crispy cornbread. I want to tweak the proportions a bit, but the Porchupines (or critters) will be my first recipe testers. (Be sure to wrap them back up so they can't help themselves).
I'd really like the recipe when you get it perfected please.

Roku boxes - for anyone else who didn't know what they were. They sound tempting!

Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

We're definitely liking the Roku so far. The box itself is a one-time fee. There are lots of completely free channels, several where the download itself is free but access requires a subscription elsewhere (like Netflix or Hulu Plus), and some where you pay to download the channel itself. I'm sticking with free for now, just in case I end up deciding to return it, although that's less and less of a possibility.

And now for some pictures (well, okay, links to pictures LOL)
Before (about a month ago)
After
Big braid

Buggie's my 18 year old. I think she's having more fun right now making wordplay (boy, Mom, this conference is going to be in-TENTS hahaha). Mini (my 15 year old) doesn't seem interested, but if I do it, she'll probably hang out with us in them.

[ March 29, 2012, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, nice haircut and nice you could donate:)

I AM SO JEALOUS. Andries is in Kyoto this week, and at the dinner last night one of the university fellows who has contacts arranged for GEISHA"S to come entertain. What an honor. Western folks do NOT generally get to see this. Most of the Japanese attending were just in 7th heaven because THEY don't get to see this extraordinary entertainment either. Once in a lifetime. Boy, those photos better be good.

I, on the other hand, am sorting through ALL my family history stuff because on the 7th of April, Sweetpea will be in the temple and I would like her to work for blood relatives...I am so thrilled about this. I sent a couple names in 30 years ago and have not done family work in the temple since. It was a times and seasons thing. I think internet access and some events in the last weeks have combined to put the Spirit of Elijah in motion for our family. I also now have a friend who is a professional genealogist who is willing to work with me through some of the disagreement in records which stopped the work for all these years. I am stricken that David can't do the males but I am glad they can be done and I can be there to see. I am amazed at the bits of personal history I have collected and stuffed into the box over the years...rereading the story of my grandfather's suicide last night was wracking....

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redd
Member # 1828

- posted      Profile for Redd   Email Redd         Edit/Delete Post 
The porch has 200 pages! [The Wave]

Sounds like everyone is busy in the kitchen like me. I've been re-processing bbq sauce. Just got the idea in my head to get the stuff out of the thin plastic bottles and re-do it in glass.

I'm hungry. I just noticed that it is nearly 10 here and I haven't had breakfast [Grumble] .

***Ohhh...corn bread cookies??? YUM! (now looking for milk) Great mid morning snack****

Posts: 2267 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

Redd, thank you for the reminder. I'm down to one more jar of my homemade BBQ sauce in storage. I wonder if I can manage to get to Sam's Club before the first session of General Conference. This would be a great weekend for canning.
Curelom
Member # 1439

"The porch has 200 pages! [The Wave] "

We'll be 8,000 posts old soon, which means an 8-egg celebration! We'll have to throw a big party & invite all the Nauvoodles, the townsfolk down the hill, the Clowers family, the folks at the police horse retirement ranch, & other neighbors.

Yes, Punkin, of course we'll invite all the critters. I'll put you in charge of the menu for the animal guests.

The first batch of cornmeal cookies was passable, but I want to tweak it more. I went on line last night & saw some cornmeal cookie recipes, which I didn't know existed. Here I thought I was so original [Roll Eyes] (TBH, I got the idea when I over-baked some cornbread & part of it got crispy but wasn't half bad [Big laugh] ). Maybe I'll pick one of the recipes & experiment with it. I'm using butter in mine, & honey for the sweetener.

OK, it's time for a quick shower & then bedtime. I want to get a good night's sleep & be ready for General Conference tomorrow.

quidscribis
Member # 701

Conference is at midnight in my time zone. I don't stay up that late, so I'll do my usual and catch it as a podcast on my iPhone later. It's so fantastic that the church has embraced technology so well. Makes life in Outer Darkness so much easier. [Smile]

Redd, I'm the exception this week to the "everyone's in the kitchen busy like me" thing. [Smile] I've been taking it really really easy this week, taking naps pretty much every day.

And my tastebuds are shot. Yesterday and the day before, I couldn't taste anything. I made chicken soup, and despite the chicken, vegetables, seasonings, salt, it tasted like water. Nothing. I had Fahim taste it, and he said it tasted good, and I was absolutely not allowed to add more salt. So I ate water-flavoured soup for two days. Today, I could taste some flavour, but it's still really weak, but at least my tastebuds are returning. Weird.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
The Internet is a wonder and a miracle- I can watch the Prophet in real time and in minor discomfort!!! I do miss being at the Stake center though. The chairs, the driving, the cost of gas---I guess I will sacrifice the community of Saints....
Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

I spent the time watching this morning. Praying that my sister would be able to deal with things said to families and married couples. And praying that that my BIL would listen and try to make another go at their marriage. And praying that the kids would and all of them would gain strength from what was being said.

This topic comprises 239 pages: 1  2  3  ...  196  197  198  199  200  201  202  ...  237  238  239 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page