Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » The Porch (Page 204)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 241 pages: 1  2  3  ...  201  202  203  204  205  206  207  ...  239  240  241 

Author Topic: The Porch
Janey
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Janey   Email Janey         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean there's food here I don't have to cook? I just piled an entire plate with peach cobbler. Thanks!

It's so nice to see the Porch still going strong. Can you believe it's been a year and a half since I signed off? Me neither. I've missed being able to kick ideas around Nauvoo. I've got almost ten minutes left before my session on the library computer times out. I tell you what, living without a home Internet connection has been like a return to the 1990s. Did you know that nothing all that important comes into my email box anyway? I log in every month or so and delete the junk mail.

V. - I do hope things go well at your oncology appt.

We're doing fine. My baby turned 2 last month. And my older boys start kindergarten and preschool this fall. I've had 2.5 years with three tiny kids at home, and wow, that's been an adventure. I'm not sure how I'll handle the free time once they're in school! I might get as much as an hour a day!

I'm still unemployed, which is great, since I get to do the SAHM thing. Eventually I'll need a job, but we are doing well. Every time I pray about finances, the Lord reminds me that he's promised I will always have food, clothing and shelter for me and my little ones. I wish everyone knew about tithing. It sure takes the stress out of finances, IMHO.

I feel like I'm adjusted to the single mom thing. We do fun things together, have FHE every week (all 12 minutes of it), survive trips to the grocery store, and give generous incentives to the children to stay in bed at night. It all works.

I miss you guys (did I mention that?). But I'm still going to be offline for the foreseeable future. Hope you all are doing well. When I do get a few minutes to come lurk, I always check the Member News section first.

Love you! Signing out before my computer shuts down! See you again in six months or whenever!

Posts: 4802 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Janey, you are missed. It is so good to see you here and hear how well you're doing. Please check in whenever you can.
Posts: 4937 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for V.   Email V.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm more than a little frustrated. Instead of going down, my CEA jumped from 30 to 45. I will be doing a PETscan in the next couple of weeks and more blood work. Then back to my doc. I start back on chemo today and the next round will be an increased dose.

I am feeling better and plan to have a good time Memorial weekend at TMT. We get a prince and princess as that is Crown Lyst.

I need to eat but I had promised to check in. Just moving forward the best I can. V.

Posts: 4305 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So numbers moving up is bad, I take it. [Frown] So sorry to hear that. I'll continue to pray for you.
Posts: 4937 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
V, you'll be in my prayers, too. And you too, quid.

It's been kind of quiet here, but that's okay, because it means there is still food from Jana and quid. I haven't had goat before, and it's not too spicy for my wimpy mouth. I love the beans, Jana.

CrowMan begged me to make enchiladas, so I did. Two trays. This one is ground beef and Monterey jack cheese, made of corn tortillas, and this one with flour. I made some with no cheese, but CrowBaby made short work of those--it's always nice when you make something they like.

Either we've been really vigilant with her diet, and always remember to give her her medicine when something might have gotten through, or she is finally outgrowing her food allergies. The big test comes over the next 24 hours or so. We went out to eat two nights ago, and the waitstaff gave the girls the Turkish version of Kinder eggs. CrowBaby begged for some of it, so last night she got a tiny piece, after I gave her medicine. I'll give her medicine again tonight, and watch her carefully. She doesn't always like to tell us when something has slipped through, even though we tell her that she will get sick if she continues to have the problem.

I might have shared this before. I got so frustrated last year; the allergist said she'd outgrow her allergies by age five, and she hadn't. Here we were, preparing to move to the Land of yogurt and börek. Then I met the bishop who replaced CrowMan, and his family. Their Nursey-age daughter had Type I diabetes. I haven't complained, even in prayer, since.

I'm going to sit in this rocker with my knitting--a comfort shawl for my friend I've been asking prayers for. I hope she can wrap herself in it and remember that she is loved by many, and it can give her some peace. Ah, the kitties want to play with the yarn. As long as you all play nice, I'll leave the ball down where you can get to it.

Posts: 4643 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
It sure is quiet here. Is everybody asleep? V's bed looks occupied. [Sleep]

Awww, Punkin, you're the only one awake & waiting for me. Let's sit here for awhile & stargaze & listen to the owls, & I'll scratch your head the way you like, then we'll turn in.

Posts: 14498 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

Crowgirl, thanks for the prayers - you are much appreciated. [Smile]

Allergies aren't always so simple as they're outgrown by a certain age. I still have allergies from when I was a kid. Some of them come and go, but others stick around. I hope Crowbaby does, but life isn't always that neat. And that child with diabetes? I have much sympathy for that. That's gotta be tough.

Hey Punkin, if you want, you can go out the west door and visit me in Singapore - we have birds living outside our bedroom window and they're fun to watch. [Smile]

We had Thai deer red curry today - seasoning out of a packet because, well, because. [Smile] I love that I can get deer and goat so easily here, that's it's such good quality meat, and that it has such a mild flavour that we can eat it so frequently in the form of curries or stews or whatever. We can also get Halal turkey ham that tastes like the real thing, and Halal pepperoni and salami which aren't spicy enough for us, alas, but at least we can get it. [Smile] Oh, and there's plenty more of the curry in the fridge, along with a long bean curry and a salad.

We can also get some truly delectable jams, important from... I'd have to check the label. But anyway, the raspberry jam is more of a conserve than a jam, and it's so incredibly good. I haven't had raspberries since Canada, but this is hitting the spot quite nicely. Now, if we had vanilla ice cream, this would go on top quite nicely... [Smile]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Quid, we do have vanilla 'scream. It may have gotten hidden in the freezer behind something else. I got it to go with the peach cobbler, & there was still some left earlier today when I made a root beer float.

I'll have some of the red deer curry tomorrow, since I'm about 5 minutes away from going to bed now.

Punkin has gone to sleep, so she'll take advantage of your open door policy some other time.

Posts: 14498 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I would trot over from my end of the porch to say that I am nearing 1000 names in the Dutch tree and haven't even started two branches. It is very absorbing. I can't figure out how all these people come from two tiny towns and I only found one crossover so far...but then everyone had at least 6 children.Only one divorce so far- and more than one where the dad had to marry three times because I think he had so many kids. Lots of farmers, laborers...one famously rich guy who still owns the featherbed factory who married in.

My eyes and spine and hips are moaning away, but I just can't stop, you know? It distracts me from the stress of the children's exams ( on top of which Biddy has a bladder infection), and seriously troubled friends. And Hubby is overworked.

And today at unit conference, someone made my Bishop CRY. Big old galoot in tears. Our young whippersnapper stake president did go out and find him and they stood in the rain on the porch for a while. Bishop looked better when he came back and went on to give a splendid anointing for Biddy.

My voice behaved well enough to sing in sacmeet with Biddy...but just barely. Maybe it is time to stop singing- even though folks are complimentary, it is a wise singer who knows when the day is over. sad.

So what a week...I have been forgetting things right and left, having too many senior moments for comfort. But until exams are over, this is what it is.

Now I have to rush off and make a nice dessert for my hard studying pair and their tutor (Pops.)

Have a good Sabbath!

(edited to correct the results of dyslexia of the fingers, and a sticky keyboard.)

[ May 20, 2012, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: jana at jade house ]

Posts: 6121 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Jana, what lovely news! You have been so fortunate in your family history. I understand how absorbing it can be, and how exciting it is when you get on a roll. I had a smile on my face for a couple of days when I found the census my gggrandfather was on. May the spirit of Elijah sustain you and your groaning parts.

So sorry about poor Biddy, but glad she was able to get a nice blessing. How are exams going for her and her brother? And What In The World would happen to make a bishop cry? (Rhetorical question!) I'm so glad your SP was able to make it better.

Our BP is moving in just a couple of weeks, and his counselors follow very shortly after. Right now, we only know of one LDS family coming to Incirlik this summer, which will give us 8 MP holders. Good news, though; my Seminary class will double in size next year. This new family has two high-school age children.

It's late, but I'd like to sit and rock. Let me grab a quilt and just enjoy the lovely air and night noises.

Posts: 4643 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

Jana, I love how well you take care of your family. I wish I'd had a mama like you.

Crowgirl, I remember well, the days of life in a small branch. Back in around 1979 or 1980, we lived in a town with so few members that we had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the nearest branch for church. The powers that be saw fit to install a pilot program, and a Small Branch (official designation at that time) was formed. Four families. From what I recall, there were three of us in primary, perhaps two were 12-18, and I believe a total of 8, perhaps 9 adults. It was a nice little branch, though.

Our birds here are LOUD at about 5:15am. LOUD. And there are a tonne of them, most likely hanging out in the tree outside our bedroom window. So, furballs, if you want to watch the birds, that is probably the best time. It's not very light out, but since you're nocturnal creatures, you'll do just fine. [Smile]

V.
Member # 1727

It's been a nice weekend. I got to do a day trip event Saturday. Today all four boys were in class. I also did some time at fighter practice where one of our youth is now old enough to armor up and fight with adults. It will be fun to watch him grow into his own style and confidence.

Going to shut down for the night. Have to take some meds and eat. Night all! V.

Posts: 4305 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

I think this coming week will be party time. Quid & V are approaching milestone posts.
[The Wave]

We had a great view of the eclipse, no clouds or fog. I used the pinhole in the card viewing method.

Punkin enjoyed the eclipse & then went to Quid's to watch the birds. She'll be there overnight. So Ivie has climbed up on my bed & is looking out the window at the town lights that we can see from downtown Nauvoo. They were dimmed an hour ago & in another hour they will mostly be dark, except the temple which is lit all night. Then she'll be ready to curl up & make zzzz's.

Good night, all. See you tomorrow. [Sleep]

quidscribis
Member # 701

Sleep well, V. [Smile]

Curelom, if you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have a clue about these milestone posts and such. I can be so oblivious. [Big Grin]

Oberon tagged along with Punkin. Oberon's always loved watching birds and pretending he can chase and catch them. In truth, he's too big and fat to really accomplish that. [Big Grin]

Bread dough is on its first rise. There will be fresh bread tonight. Wild yeast, of course, since that's all I make, and it's a nice soft bread that's perfect for breakfast with butter and jam.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Quid, fresh bread!!! I could smell it way over here. I am so glad I can have my fill her on the Porch. I am addicted to fresh bread. Especially with salted butter. I eat like I haven't seen bread in decades. Then I get gas, and cramps and feel badly about myself until the next fresh bread comes along. My grave weakness. White food.
Posts: 6121 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

Oh, I hear you - I have problems with bread, too. Which is why it's mostly for the husband to eat for breakfast, not me. Although we did have bread with dinner tonight... With salted butter and four berry jam... Couldn't help it, it was still warm... *sigh*
jana at jade house
Member # 559

quote:
With salted butter and four berry jam
*swoons*
jana at jade house
Member # 559

anybody here want to barter mending for ironing? Oh boy I am not wanting to iron today.
V.
Member # 1727

Jana, I don't mind ironing because I can do it sitting on a stool. I have mending needed. Somehow I ended up with a 1/2 square tear in my favorite capris.

I am gonna just take it easy today and then work on a simple supper tonight. V.

FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
I have for a long time wanted a steam press. I imagine that it would be faster, easier, and funner than ironing. But, I've never used one so I don't know for sure.

Oh and if I lived close enough, I would gladly contract for some months of ironing in exchange for a medieval costume. (We just went to a local festival on Saturday (Scarborough Renaissance Festival).

As for mending, I'm the hand sewer in the family. In fact I need to sew a button on a pair of pants fairly soon.

Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

I add that we went from freezing our butts to 24 degrees Celsius today- we were not amused.
Curelom
Member # 1439

OK, Quid is up to 3999, and V is only a hair behind. So let's haul out the special Egg Awards now.

Egg No. 1

Egg No. 2

Egg No. 3

Egg No. 4

Let's have an outdoor weinie roast this evening as a celebration. The weather should be nice enough to use Punkin's fire pit to grill the franks (I got some special turkey franks too, Quid) & marshmallows. Punkin & Oberon can come back with Quid.

Speaking of Punkin, I used the deluxe dehydrator, her gift to us last Christmas, to make fruit leather. We had more strawberries & apples than we could use up before they got over-ripe, so I pureed them, spread them out on trays, & processed them on very low temp. I cut up the leather into snack-size pieces, & they are in a container on the kitchen counter.

[ May 21, 2012, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back, but just for a minute. Brady is kicking me off the computer to do something. I've missed you all and will read what has been going on after he is done.
Posts: 5605 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! That was much quicker than I thought.

Brady made it through. Most of his friends did not. I think texting was actually the hardest part for those kids. That is one advantage of not having texting at all! Ironically we have been discussing the last week about getting texting for Brady. It's starting to cause problems with YM, school and marching band that he doesn't have it. I've actually not liked the idea of unlimited texting because I think teens need limits of some kind. To be honest I'm not concerned about Brady having texting. It is his friends that can't get away from texting that I worry about not going unlimited.

gi - can't wait to see you when you got done with your media fast.

quote:
I can do away with a lot of the web surfing & just plain fooling around on the internet that doesn't really serve a useful purpose.
That was nice. It actually got me to be more productive.

Ahh Janey. I'm sorry I missed you!

V - [Group Hug]

Posts: 5605 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Has it been 2 weeks already? Welcome back, Yungmom! [Wave] We're proud of Brady for completing the media fast. It would be tough for many of us, let along kids who are almost literally addicted to texting. [Big laugh]

Can you get texting for him with a limit, maybe so many messages a month?

The franks are on the grill on the firepit & the buns are wrapped in foil to warm up. (Punkin wanted us to stop calling them hot dogs because that bothers Hound). We have pickles, onions, mustard. KQ brand ketchup, & all the other fixings under that food screen next to the grill. We're celebrating V & Quid getting close to the Big Four.

[ May 21, 2012, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

V.
Member # 1727

Goodness, I had no idea I was hitting a new number to celebrate! I spend a lot of time here!

I am doing okay. I had a suggestion that I find out if my insurance would allow blood samples to be sent to two different labs for comparison. I am going to give this a shot.

I am continuing to move forward. I am sleeping a little more and working on getting ready for the weekend each day so that I don't have to rush on Thursday to get done.

FBN, That looked like a fun festival. Believe it or not, garb is easy if you don't want to be fancy. For girls a full skirt and a peasant blouse or a chemise, skirt and laced bodice. Head cover for a woman is as simple as a veil or a square piece of fabric triangled and tied in the back. For the men, a simple pair of pants made with a jogging pants pattern and a tunic shirt. SCA.org has places you can go for patterns. Plug in garb and time period on google and you can find directions easily.

I get others to do my sewing and I either pay them or barter for something. I do a lot of small projects by hand. Someone is finishing a hat for me and I made her a set of fibula for her Romanesque garb. She picked beads and I made the fibula. Bartering is a very wonderful thing!!!!

I've learned many things and love the time I spend with friends with the same interests. V.

V.
Member # 1727

PS Ren Faires a less precise than SCA events. Ren Faires include fantasy and magic so you can do many more things with garb. V.
quidscribis
Member # 701

V., you have a wonderful hobby and pastime there. [Smile]

We had rain overnight, but this is not surprising since the forecast always says 60% chance of rain. [Smile]

Goat stroganoff on the stove with LOTS of roasted mushrooms added to it. Yum! That's my contribution for the day. [Smile]

And with that, it's lunch time...

jana at jade house
Member # 559

how does one roast a mushroom without it turning into grey leather?

V has a pastime pastime . LOL

Else had her bike stolen while she was taking her Physics comprehensive. The girl never gets a fair break.

It was hotter here yesterday than in some southern places. Climate? Moderate? Unpredictable...

V.
Member # 1727

Oh, Jana! How do you manage to maintain your sense of humor when everything keeps wanting to turn the wrong direction? [Group Hug] V.

Roper, you are right, 'shrooms aren't meant to be roasted unless stuffed.

quidscribis
Member # 701

Funny, I had no problem roasting them. [Smile]

I salted & peppered 'em, drizzled on a bit of olive oil, tossed to coat, then roasted for half an hour at 150C. Worked great. [Smile]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Awww, the poor kid. [Frown] I hope as a "consolation prize" for the bike theft, she does well on the exam.

Prayers going forth for Nauvoo friends & neighbors who are having challenges.

It has been really windy here for a couple days. It isn't cold, but it's uncomfortable having to be out & about in it. No, Punkin, you aren't making me sneeze. You aren't making yourself sneeze either. It's all the extra pollen flying around. [Grumble]

Ah, there's still some of the goat stroganoff with mushrooms. I didn't get to try it last night, so I'll zap some now & Punkin can also try it. I had roast goat once, so long ago that I don't remember it very well.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

[Cry] toothache [Cry] I am sure that I will lose yet another molar. Peridontitis: the gift that keeps on giving. I have lost so much bone density in the jaw that just a little inflammation means another tooth has given up hope.

The moral: flossing is important. I repeat: flossing is important. I am losing perfect teeth because the infection in the bone ate away the socket. Because I was not diligent.

So I am bringing a bunch of different interdental cleaning product and floss. I use these tiny brushes. Two different sizes every day and some folks might like these: a flat toothpick for in between the teeth.

Seriously, do everything your dentist says to prevent gum disease. It even affects your heart.

Curelom
Member # 1439

Ouch, Jana. [Frown] I'm sorry about your toothache & the prospect of losing the tooth. Yes, interdental cleaning is important, not just for cleanliness but for stimulating the gum tissue & keeping it from atrophying. I use those brush-pick things too.

It's been a warmish, muggy day here. We had a forecast of possible thunder showers, but so far they haven't materialized. However, it's still warm enough for 'scream (it usually is [Razz] ). So I stocked up on lime sherbet, chocolate-covered strawberry, peach, & pistachio flavors. We still have some vanilla in the fridge.

Yes, Punkin, one spoonful of vanilla & one of peach lightly mixed together coming right up. [Razz] I'll let yours sit out for a minute, because I know you like it melted a little & not freezing cold.

quidscribis
Member # 701

Jana, I feel for you. [Frown]

My father had four teeth left by the time he was 40, and they were, ah, not pretty, let's say. The rest had fallen out, although I don't know the details. I do know, now, that it's a part of our genetic collagen defect. Me, I've had teeth start to fall apart - they develop holes or bits fall off - no decay, though. Just falling apart teeth. Thankfully it's just been relatively small areas thus far, and we're going to focus on that and hope for the best.

Curelom, lime sherbet! How'd you know? That's one of my all time favourites. Yum!

JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Lime sherbet is perfect for summer. Doesn't feel as heavy as ice cream. Unfortunately once I have one serving, it's so delicious I have to have another helping -- so any calories I might have saved by its not being ice cream are canceled out.

Beryl is on her way, tapping at the back door as we speak. Hope we don't lose power (much) for this one. Our girls are at their grandparents' house, about an hour north, and we're supposed to drive up tomorrow and get them. Bu the idea of crossing the bridge in TS-force winds is not very appealing to me. I pray it quiets down enough for us to get up there. I miss my girls!

Posts: 5906 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

I just read on FB that one of our dear Nauvoodle sisters came home today loving Christ, wanting to serve, --it sounds like she was regenerated!

I envy her that. I came home distressed, demoralized and dreary in my heart- on the Holy Ghost's feast day even. I stood in the hall for five minutes while waiting for the car and not one person spoke to me. Not one. Usually I don't care, but today after what the Brother who plays for Sac meet did today, I am embarrassed enough to stay home a couple of months. Probably everyone else was too so no one spoke to me. Plus I am hot and worried about my family who are all working much too hard.

I think I will just sit here in the rocker and read scriptures until it is too dark to read. Maybe by then the Comforter will find me.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

JennaDean, my prayers for you safety. I grew up in Tornado Alley. That fear will never leave me.
Curelom
Member # 1439

Jenna, when it comes to 'scream & even sherbet, calories or carbs are irrelevant. We eat it cuz it's delicious & we like it. [Razz] We can repent tomorrow, & have a lettuce leaf & a tomato slice with oil & vinegar, half a chicken breast with no sauce, & a tablespoon of Jello. Isn't repentance wonderful? [Smile]

I hope everyone is having a fine Sabbath afternoon. We're having a somewhat overcast & muggy day, but it isn't uncomfortable. Drop in & have some 'scream if you feel like it.

Punkin & I are watching the video of "One Voice - On the Road With the Mormon Tabernacle Choir." It's based on one of their recent U.S, tours & shows the people & preparations involved. I didn't expect Punkin would be so interested, but she enjoys people & watching what they are doing, so maybe it isn't so surprising.

Curelom
Member # 1439

Jana, I'm sorry it was such a trying day for you. Here's a [Group Hug] for you.

This topic comprises 241 pages: 1  2  3  ...  201  202  203  204  205  206  207  ...  239  240  241 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page