Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » Suggestions Appreciated!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestions Appreciated!
peace
Member # 2215

- posted      Profile for peace   Email peace         Edit/Delete Post 
The local BP is coming over for a visit, and I would sure appreciate some suggestions for refreshments and snacks. [Smile]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure anything you do is great. To me it is nice to have a combo of healthy and not so healthy treats. I am sure he will like whatever you do.
Posts: 8835 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cocobeem
Member # 2302

- posted      Profile for cocobeem   Email cocobeem         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends...is he talking about a calling, and do you want it? (Have two options waiting in the kitchen.) [Big Grin]
Posts: 2847 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euphrasie
Member # 1067

- posted      Profile for Euphrasie   Email Euphrasie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big laugh]
Posts: 5737 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peace
Member # 2215

I can't boil water! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to boil water. No hot drinks, remember? [Big laugh] <chuckle>

If it's just a short social call (not dinner or a special occasion), have what you'd have at any small afternoon gathering. Veggies & dips, crackers, cheese, sliced fruit, maybe some Martinelli's & sparkling mineral water

Posts: 13981 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BG27
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for BG27   Email BG27         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Depends...is he talking about a calling, and do you want it? (Have two options waiting in the kitchen.)
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

[Big laugh]

That made me [Big laugh]

Posts: 4584 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peace
Member # 2215

Well, since we're just investigators, this poor man has volunteered to come to our home and speak to us about religion. It's going to be after supper, so I was just going to have a few cookies, fudge, etc., but I'm stumped on what beverages to serve.
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
We serve juice. Herbal tea. Lemonade.
Posts: 5961 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryozion
Member # 2035

- posted      Profile for maryozion   Email maryozion         Edit/Delete Post 
I like milk with cookies and fudge.
Can't go wrong having cold water on hand.
I like to keep Sprite or 7-up on hand also.

Posts: 598 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redd
Member # 1828

- posted      Profile for Redd   Email Redd         Edit/Delete Post 
warning, if you feed them they may comeback, over and over and over and over.....

Actually, I doubt that they are that interested in being entertained. So unless social graces are your forte and you enjoy things like that, I would not sweat it much.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peace
Member # 2215

[Big laugh]

Aww, he's such a nice guy!

I'm not much of an entertainer. That's why I'm asking you guys! [Wink]

j.a.a.
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for j.a.a.   Email j.a.a.         Edit/Delete Post 
Just be yourself and relax. You can serve almost any kind of veggies, fruit, cake... and water, juice... You probably got the picture by now.

The important thing is not what to serve, the important thing is that you feel comfortable, and being that you make him feel comfortable, and give him a chance to know you.

Good luck with the visit. [Wave]

Posts: 118 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

I forgot you were still investigating! In that case, you are under lesser obligation than a member ("Of those unto whom muchi s given, much is required" [Big laugh] <chuckle> )

I'd say that a dessert or cookies & milk, Sprite, or water (with ice offered) would be fine.

Posts: 13981 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby76
Member # 1288

- posted      Profile for abby76   Email abby76         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people have covered everything. I always think it is good to have a variety so you have more of a chance to get the right one for the guest. For my Birthday, we had a fruit drink that I thought was like nectar and imported. Everyone but me opted for filtered water.
Posts: 3434 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone that comes to my house gets fed a full meal... usually involving pasta... it's something of a handicap of mine, having served a fulltime mission for the church in Italy.

--Ray

Posts: 13550 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby76
Member # 1288

- posted      Profile for abby76   Email abby76         Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, I have been craving pasta of late. I could eat spaghetti and meatballs quite happily every day!

By the way, I asked someone what the juice was that I spoke of earlier and it is mango juice imported from India. Very potent and a real delicacy!

Posts: 3434 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euphrasie
Member # 1067

- posted      Profile for Euphrasie   Email Euphrasie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...I think I've had that juice. It takes a little getting used to, and a little goes a long way!
Posts: 5737 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peace
Member # 2215

mmm...I love mangoes. Pasta too...

I'm getting hungry...

Spotted Horse
Member # 1969

- posted      Profile for Spotted Horse   Email Spotted Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... if he seems at a loss for what to say, offer him some coffee or tea. He'll adore you for providing him the opening to speak to you about the Word of Wisdom. [Big laugh]
Posts: 1389 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peace
Member # 2215

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I've got it covered! [Smile]
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so what did you actually offer him, and how was the visit? Inquiring minds want to know!
Posts: 2795 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You feed the branch president? Wow, you're nice! I never offer more than water when the bishopric comes to see me. [Wink]
Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peace
Member # 2215

I'm so disappointed. The BP had to stay late at the hospital, so our plans were canceled. And we literally had every food and drink item that you guys suggested, and then some. Now we have to eat these snacks all by ourselves. And they taste great! [Razz]

Seriously though, I am EXTREMELY disappointed.

mini.michaela
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for mini.michaela   Email mini.michaela         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, for your disappointment. I will sit here and eat snacks with you! [Smile] It looks like you have some very lovely things prepared!! How thoughtful!! My husband is actually stuck at the hospital tonight too!! I definetely know the feeling..... we have had a real busy couple of days around here, and I have not been feeling real well, so I decided tonight to make us a nice dinner (alfredo..... one of his favorites) He called and said he was on his way home.... then called back and said he got called over to the hospital... said he will be home by 10:00 pm hopefully. Such is life, I guess. Now I have this wonderful dinner, and no one to share it with. Would you like some???? [Smile]
Posts: 1088 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Mango juice! Lovely stuff!

We can buy it by the bottle here, cordial which is then added to water. I love that stuff! But people here also make their own from scratch, usually from the mangoes growing in the tree in their yard. [Smile] That stuff is even better than the bottled. Yum!

Posts: 4740 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

Sorry about how you made all your plans and that it had to be cancelled. Could you make him a plate of goodies and deliver it to him? Also during this time, the bishops/branch presidents spend lots of time performing tithing settlement. (in case you don't know what this is, this is when people go before them in a private interview and account or make a declaration as to their status in paying tithing).

Anyway, hopefully it will go better next time- by the way, have you met again w/the missionaries??? [Smile]

Posts: 8835 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Awww, I'm sorry your little visit didn't happen. He would have been pleased with any hospitality you would have offered. Nita mentioned putting together a plate of goodies for him, which is a nice idea.

If you still have any of the things that store well like cookies, pastries, etc., maybe he'd appreciate having some in his office during tithing settlement meetings. If you have a ton of stuff, give him lots & tell him to offer them to the people coming in. My bishop keeps long hours during December, so I'm sure your branch president will be very grateful.

[ December 07, 2006, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

pnr
Member # 1270

- posted      Profile for pnr   Email pnr         Edit/Delete Post 
Peace, I'm not sure we are steering you accurately. There is absolutely no obligation to provide anything when a BP or other church member comes to visit.

And when people do offer something(anything)those who visit will be grateful for whatever you serve.

So make, or don't make, whatever you like. (And if you are inclined to provide something, make it a plate with the number of cookies on it that equal his wife and children since it will delight him to take something home to the loved ones who sacrifice so that he can fulfill his church obligations.)

[ December 08, 2006, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: pnr ]

Posts: 2439 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

Curelom wrote:
quote:
you still have any of the things that store well like cookies, pastries, etc., maybe he'd appreciate having some in his office during tithing settlement meetings
Thanks Curelom, that is what I meant to include in my post and forgot once I explained what tithing settlement is.
bokbadok
Member # 420

- posted      Profile for bokbadok   Email bokbadok         Edit/Delete Post 
pnr is right about treats being totally optional, and not at all expected. I have never offered goodies when being visited. But then, I am lacking in social graces, so... what do I know? [Wink]
Posts: 3181 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Default Display Name
Member # 2189

- posted      Profile for Default Display Name           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking from my own personal experience. Due to various allergies/syndromes/diseases with which I am afflicted, I am forced to abide by a very strict diet. Because of this, I am often offered food that I can't or shouldn't eat. I always appreciate it when a simple, "No Thank You," suffices instead of any lengthy explanation.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peace
Member # 2215

Due to the late hour, I never did get to take anything up to the hospital. But it's a great idea, and something I definitely will remember for the future.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page