Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » Movies you've seen recently (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22 

Author Topic: Movies you've seen recently
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Smells like cumin.
[Big Grin] Loooove it!

Did you notice the stalky picture of Penny? I don't think I noticed that until I had seen it about three times ... the only picture Horrible has of Penny looks like it was taken through the bushes. Perfect detail.

Edit: Oh - I just noticed you asked me about Castle. I'm really enjoying it. It has a sort of Moonlighting vibe about it, which was my favorite show years ago. I really like Castle's character, and the daughter and the mom. Jury's still out on the cop but I think she's growing on me. I love the dialogue. I just hope they don't cancel it - they do that so fast nowadays.

[ March 18, 2009, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: JennaDean ]

Posts: 5905 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink Floyd
Member # 275

- posted      Profile for Pink Floyd           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did notice it. There are so many things going on in the background. Like the soup kitchen guy that is missing the bowls with his soup.

quote:
I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this.

[ March 18, 2009, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Pink Floyd ]

Posts: 11802 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

"soup kitchen guy" [ROFL] Gee, I wonder why he's missing the bowls?

I heard that Sarah Michelle Gellar was in that scene, as a favor to Whedon. She's supposedly heavily made up. I can't tell which one she is.

I love the beginning. It could not be more perfect. "Mwah-ha-ha! So ... that's coming along."

Okay, random quote, one of my favorites:
quote:
It's curtains for you, Horrible. Lacy, gently wafting curtains.
Weird. [Big laugh]
Posts: 5905 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink Floyd
Member # 275

My favorite song lyrics:
quote:
Stand back everyone, nothing here to see.
Just imminent danger and in the middle of it me.
Yes, Captain Hammer's here, hair blowing in the breeze.
The day needs my saving expertise.
Man's got to do what a man's got to do.
Seems destiny ends with me saving you.
The only doom that's looming is in loving me to death.
I'll give you a second to catch your breath.

Buffy? Maybe Not:(deleted link. Too many spoilers.)
quote:
Whedon confirmed that the blond extra in act III of "Dr. Horrible" was not, in fact, Sarah Michelle Gellar. "It was Nicholas Brendon," Whedon joked. "The man is a chameleon."

[ March 18, 2009, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Pink Floyd ]

Posts: 11802 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dianoia
Member # 3756

- posted      Profile for dianoia   Email dianoia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Count me in as a Dr. Horrible fan. (Or just as a general Joss Whedon geek. I own Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Serenity and Dr. Horrible, and now I'm working on getting the soundtracks.)

I bought the Dr. Horrible episodes off of iTunes, but I may have to purchase the DVD just because I've heard of all the great extra features.

Quotage that's already entered our family consciousness:
"Evil league of evil"
"What a crazy random happenstance"
"Oh my goodness, look at my wrist! I gotta go!"

ETA: It's not just me. Not only does mammamammoth own a D&D shirt, she also sports a Captain Hammer T-shirt on occasion. [Smile]

[ March 18, 2009, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: dianoia ]

Posts: 1977 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

Welcome to the par-tay! I knew there must be more of us out there.

I'm still working my way through Firefly. I have to fit it in between the other programs we make time to watch and I have to wait on hubby to be available because he wants to watch it with me, so it's taking a while. I don't want to see Serenity until I've finished Firefly.

I use this one too:
quote:
"Oh my goodness, look at my wrist! I gotta go!"
And my favorite lyric:
quote:
She may cry, but her tears'll dry when I hand her the keys to a shiny new Australia.
Hmm ... I didn't think about it before, but seeing it in writing makes me wonder if that was a deliberate referential use of "shiny". I think I'll just choose to believe it was. [Smile]
maryozion
Member # 2035

- posted      Profile for maryozion   Email maryozion         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a cheesefest this week-end. Watched "Xanadu" and the end of "The Work and the Story" (I think that's the name of it). My kids offered to let me keep "The Work and the Story" to catch the beginning but I told them since I knew the ending it just wouldn't be the same.
Posts: 598 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

Ha! Xanadu. I was a child when it came out, and my parents got me the album, so I have all the songs memorized; but I never saw the movie. So this week when it came on we recorded it. So far I've only seen the first five minutes, but man, is it weird....
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So far I've only seen the first five minutes, but man, is it weird....
How can you say that about my favorite movie in the history of man? They take "kissed by a muse" and turn it into an art form! I think it is a clever engaging musical. Remember that a musical does not have to be brain food, just fun--and that it is!
Posts: 6072 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for trooperswife   Email trooperswife         Edit/Delete Post 
...and, it has Gene Kelly. 'nuff said.
Posts: 4453 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valjean
Member # 10773

- posted      Profile for Valjean   Email Valjean         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a pretty fluffy movie, but I did like the part where the modern heavy metal band merged with the 1930s swing band.
Posts: 2017 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister and I did a routine for the ward talent show from the soundtrack. We tried doing the swing/metal one, but ended up using the first song from the film. Good times.
Posts: 4541 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for trooperswife   Email trooperswife         Edit/Delete Post 
I just spent an afternoon at the movies and saw Taken.

Very good 'shoot 'em up, turn your mind off and see if the guy will save his daughter' kind of movie.

It was mildly distracting to watch Liam Neeson, knowing the tragedy he has suffered recently, but it was a well made movie for the genre.

Posts: 4453 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw Monsters Vs. Aliens... didn't get to see it in 3D, but I bet it would be really great. The story is pretty much fluffy and nonexistent, but in terms of entertainment it's a great show!

--Ray

Posts: 13745 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valjean
Member # 10773

Just finishing watching Forbidden Planet with Gavroche. A bit cheesy, a bit sexist, but still remarkably good science fiction for its time. Of course, it helps when you steal the plot for your movie from William Shakespeare. [Wink]
Posts: 2017 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dianoia
Member # 3756

- posted      Profile for dianoia   Email dianoia         Edit/Delete Post 
Watched Lars and the Real Girl last night, and really enjoyed it. Charming and tender, the kind of movie that makes you want to be a better person.

Highly recommended.

Posts: 1977 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

I'm watching Bedknobs & Broomsticks right now. The choreography in the "Portabello Road" scene is probably the best of any Disney film I've seen.

(Edited to fix a glaring misspelling.)

[ October 30, 2011, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: CrowGirl ]

Posts: 4541 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

Yay for Bedknobs! It's one of my all time favorites!
Jacaré
Member # 178

- posted      Profile for Jacaré   Email Jacaré         Edit/Delete Post 
Sister Jacaré and I saw Taken recently. Very good action flick, even if it was totally preposterous (there's a reason things like that don't happen in real life). Considering the subject matter, the producers showed rare restraint in creating a movie that could easily have earned an R rating with just a little bit of blood, sex, or nudity.

Liam Neeson's wife died shortly after we saw it, which in my mind made it all the more tragic, as if the wife of a dear friend had passed away.

We also saw Race to Witch Mountain. Like Taken, not great art, but an engaging and entertaining, family-friendly movie.

[ March 29, 2009, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Jacaré ]

Posts: 6145 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane
Member # 2160

- posted      Profile for Shane   Email Shane         Edit/Delete Post 
Rough Riders, which was about Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders. This movie had some nudity I had to zip through (which I didn't know about in advance), and portrayed TR (sorry, I can't remember the actor's name) as a caricature in the early part of the movie. Once past that though, the fighting/action scenes were very well done and I really liked the movie overall. I should've got me one of those Clear Play units. [Smile]
Posts: 3350 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahgirl
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for sarahgirl   Email sarahgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago we watched The Wind and the Lion with Sean Connery and Candace Bergen. The movie was considered (at the time it came out) to have very accurately portrayed what Teddy Roosevelt was like. If he really was like they showed, I could have seen myself liking him as a person quite a bit.

Recently we watched Victoria and Albert made by A&E. It was actually quite nice. They were portrayed as people who really were trying to do what was right in their rule and developing a very sweet, loving relationship. I was interested enough in their story to read a book about them afterwards.

Posts: 307 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

I watched that Victoria & Albert series, too, and enjoyed it.

ETA: I also watched Galaxy Quest over the weekend. The perfect satire film, and one that seems to be a crowd-pleaser of any age.

[ March 30, 2009, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: CrowGirl ]

Pink Floyd
Member # 275

Ahh... Sigourney Weaver...

A couple of years ago, our family made a quest to Goblin Valley in central Utah where the scene on the mining planet was made. Just to be able to walk on the same ground she walked on...

Valjean
Member # 10773

quote:
I also watched Galaxy Quest over the weekend. The perfect satire film, and one that seems to be a crowd-pleaser of any age.

"Oh ... darn ..."

Yup, and reasonably family-safe, in a way that actually enhances the comedy.

JennaDean
Member # 1722

(music swells )

"I walked today where Sigourney walked..."

Okay, I finally finished Xanadu. The whole thing was just as weird as I thought from the first five minutes. (Sorry, Jana.) Made no sense. The best bit was Gene Kelly's flashback scene with Olivia Newton-John - and then they just dropped that whole part of the story. Never explained it or did anything else with it. And there were so many other parts that did not makes sense - not the least of which being why this muse, who presumably has been inspiring men for centuries (and presumably most of them have fallen in love with her while she's never gotten emotionally involved with any one of them), would fall in love with this guy. Why him? He was not particularly special, or particularly charming. The best way I could describe him was, "he was not unattractive".

The whole thing just left me sort of shaking my head, going, "Wha-???" So, then I found out that this movie helped inspire the creation of the Razzie awards: "(dis)Honoring the worst in film since 1980!" Wow.

But anyway, who knew Gene Kelly could dance on roller-skates? That guy's awesome.

beefche
Member # 2301

- posted      Profile for beefche   Email beefche         Edit/Delete Post 
Gene Kelly is FANTASTIC! I absolutely love him in anything he's done.

Xandadu is a cheesy, dumb film. I watch it for Gene Kelly and the music--some great 70 songs on there.

Posts: 3245 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valjean
Member # 10773

quote:
"he was not unattractive"
Pretty much the best I could settle for in my dating days.
JennaDean
Member # 1722

[Big Grin] I can relate.

But if you were a muse, would you "settle" for "not unattractive" and no other charms?

[ March 30, 2009, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: JennaDean ]

trooperswife
Member # 670

STOP with all the Gene Kelly talk...I do not have time to watch Singin' In the Rain today!

I don't.

Really.

Well, if I did laundry WHILE I watched it...

I gotta go.

Valjean
Member # 10773

quote:
But if you were a muse, would you "settle" for "not unattractive" and no other charms?
Ordinary has an attraction of its own for some people.
scruffydog
Member # 10650

- posted      Profile for scruffydog   Email scruffydog         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Knowing at the weekend with my lovely wife, and there were some intriguing elements in what is an otherwise rather disappointing film. Without wishing to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the film, there are a few things that could be seen as having a basis in LDS imagery, not the least of which is a large white tree at the end of the film. Does anyone know if there is an LDS element to the film, or was my mind desperately seizing on anything to redeem the film? [Dont Know]
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boardmadd
Member # 1706

- posted      Profile for boardmadd   Email boardmadd         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww now Come On, Jenna, you saying you couldn't get into the 70's hunkdom that was Michael Beck?! A whole generation of pre-teen males *worshipped* that guy (of course, the fact that we were all obsessed with "The Warriors" and his role of "Swan" may have had something to do with it... I guess you had to be a 12 year old male in 1979 to appreciate it [Big laugh] ).
Posts: 1886 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about that movie just the other day. And I was 19 year old male. [Wink]
Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

I kinda doubt you were worshipping Michael Beck though....

I could be wrong. But I don't see what people see in him. OTOH, I'm not a 12-year-old boy.

rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
Got Bolt on Blu-Ray (yes, that's me painted blue)... it's soooo great. I love the moral about learning to accept who you are... and the Hamster is probably one of the best Disney characters in a long long time... He's so funny. [Smile]

--Ray

Posts: 13745 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

Ray-- I have watched Bolt so many times this week I have lost count. It has supplanted Cars in my 3 year olds preference for what to spend the day begging to watch.

I found I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would...and it has held up to repeated watchings for me, as well.

I love her manager. I am just walking around waiting for the chance to tell one of my kids that we can, "boop! put a pin in it!"

Jacaré
Member # 178

- posted      Profile for Jacaré   Email Jacaré         Edit/Delete Post 
Sister Jacaré and I saw Knowing last night. She didn't like it. I did, with reservations. Definitely not for the kidlens.

I checked the reviews today. Most of the critics were pretty brutal, although Roger Ebert liked it.

Posts: 6145 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane
Member # 2160

- posted      Profile for Shane   Email Shane         Edit/Delete Post 
Get Smart. But I wouldn't recommend it. I thought it had too much risque stuff and profanity in it. I've decided I will no longer watch a comedy that is PG-13. It wasn't all the funny either.
Posts: 3350 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valjean
Member # 10773

Cosette insisted on watching Knowing for her birthday. From all reports, I'd say the critics were right to give it a thumbs-down.
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Okay, how about one worth seeing?

I Am David.

A beautiful, quiet film. Not what I expected.

See it.

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page