Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » Any Knitters Out There? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Any Knitters Out There?
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to ask a sister or friend to go scope out a Michael's for me. I'm certainly not finding this yarn online. Thank you for the heads-up.

Raro, if I sent you a photograph of the stitch in question, would you be able to compare it to what you have in your dictionary? Or is that just asking too much? (It's okay if it is; I imagine you have a lot going on.)

ETA: Wow, a page turn. Two more than I ever expected for this topic. But I am not complaining. [Big Grin]

[ November 01, 2011, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: CrowGirl ]

Posts: 4658 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
S._Charles_Yarn-Stella_Yarn is silk and 13 something a skein- faint not! it is half the price of the cashmere I found-- send me a shot of that stitch as well- I have all kinds of knit design books...and I will keep looking for yarns with lurex
Posts: 6126 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.iceyarns.com has got a whole line of glitter and metallic yarn styles and their prices aren't scary
Posts: 6126 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
And I see they have Tuesday-only package sales. This could be dangerous.
Posts: 1334 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear.
Posts: 9148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind. I wanted 40$ worth of yarn and they wanted $50 to ship it.
Posts: 9148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Gracie, I just saw where this store is located. [Big Grin] If you decide this yarn is really what you want, you can get it shipped to me, and I'll forward it on to you. Just a thought. And I just might throw in something extra, too. [Big Grin]

Actually, this will go for any of you.

ETA: Raro and Jana, I will PM you a photograph. Thank you.

[ November 02, 2011, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: CrowGirl ]

Posts: 4658 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

Shipping has become a tragic drama around here. While I understand it "costs" to send something overseas, I cannot for one minute understand how postage is calculated. If it came by horse and buggy, you have to feed the horse, but a two pound package should not cost your first born child and a right arm.... [Grumble]
Raro
Member # 1304

- posted      Profile for Raro   Email Raro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please send me a copy of the stitch and maybe I can come up with something similar.
My Smiley's yarns charges 12.95 for shipping no matter the cost, but it's still a lot. Then again, yarn can be surprisingly heavy, depending on its makeup.

Posts: 1801 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Bumping up to let Jana and Raro know that I finally figured out how to get my camera and computer to talk, and I PMd pictures of the sweater in question. Thank you very much!
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Bumping up to also say that the email addresses I have for the two of you don't work! Please advise.
jana at jade house
Member # 559

I replied sweetie
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a plastic box, similar to a fishing tackle box, for my knit & crochet needles & notions. It has trays with dividers, but no closable compartments for small items. "Pill boxes" are handy for tiny objects but take too much space for the amount of storage they provide.

Use zip-top plastic snack bags instead. Get rid of the air & several bags of beads, buttons, or stitch markers can fit where one plastic box would go.

Craft or office supply stores carry adhesive-backed magnetic tape or cards. Find or cut one to fit a flat spot on the inside of the lid or in one section of a tray. This is to park steel needles & pins that tend to get mixed in with other stuff & then stab you.

Posts: 14525 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

quote:
zip-top plastic snack bags
ziptop anything, especially bags with real "zip"heads to grab, are a scarce animal here. and the tiny snack bags, not at all. One of the items on the "to-get in USA" list permanently is those little bags- I use them for sorting meds, for necklaces so they don't tangle, for earrings while traveling. Oh, for lots of stuff- and I have yet to use them for their original intent [Smile]
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Jana, I have a stack of things I need to send you. Would you like me to throw in a box or two of these bags? Just sandwich size, or other sizes?
Curelom
Member # 1439

We take so much for granted in North America. It's easy to forget that much of the world, including highly developed countries on other continents, don't have many of these things.

OTOH, Americans are probably the world's greatest experts at using disposable items & sending them to a landfill after one use.

Posts: 14525 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We only occasionally got zip loc bags - the type, not the brand - in Sri Lanka, and then, only the larger sizes. When we were in New Zealand, I bought a few large boxes of all sizes and brought them back with me to Sri Lanka when we left. Yup, it's the little things in life... [Big Grin]
Posts: 4954 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

Crow Girl: You do??? Now I am all curious. [Smile] Wow.
SANDWICH size I finally have sourced at a decent price WITH zipper heads, just recently. But the tiny snack size ( about half the sandwich size with a press together seal) would be very welcome.

I just had a daydream today that you came to visit and brought me a room size oriental carpet in perfect colors. I was really tired.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

Curelom, you should have seen the happy dance in the frozen foods section the other day. ONE regular grocery store chain now has frozen fruit!!! Blueberries even! and on sale! I actually bought 2 boxes ( about 3 cups worth) for on top of my cheesecake.

Yep the Dutch live much more simply. But they seem to have the corner on hard to open wasteful packaging. [Wall Bash]

CrowGirl
Member # 401

I have a question regarding that nasty "G"-word; gauge. What if you achieve that mystical 4"/10cm with your stitch, but not your row? Almost, but not quite. Any advice?
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you compensate for it by blocking the finished piece?
Posts: 1334 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Ouch, I hate gauge! [Mad] And even if you make swatches, invariably you find out well into the project (never in the first few inches) that the gauge is inconsistent. [Grumble]

I have to agree with Goody. I guess that might not work for all synthetic fibers as well as it would for quality wool, & how well it works may depend on what the finished item is.

CrowGirl
Member # 401

The project is to be a ballet sweater for the CrowBallerinas' teacher. The yarn I bought to use is acrylic. The gauge is 19 stitch, 21 row. If it were 19 stitch, 22 or 23 row, it would be perfect. With it being acrylic, will blocking not work?

And I absolutely concur with the swatch situation, Curelom. The gauge worked on a project I attempted to start last weekend on a long bus tour, but when I knitted, it became 4-5 times bigger. [Wall Bash]

Curelom
Member # 1439

CrowGirl, acrylic may not always block well, but it might vary with the brand & quality. A blend with a natural fiber may work better.

With 100% acrylic, it might take a shape temporarily & then go back to the original shape/size. My reasoning on this is the same as why you can felt with wool knits but not acrylic. But I'm not enough of an expert to know exactly what each fiber might do. I wonder if Goody or Dyany might.

Clearly, this is a bigger problem when you make a sweater or other article where you have to join pieces, because if the gauge hasn't been consistent, the parts won't match up. [Grumble] I like to make simple items like shawls, hats, or scarves where there isn't much piecing together, & one reason is not having to mess with gauge.

Dyany
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for Dyany   Email Dyany         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I'm with Curelom -- I just do shawls, hats, and scarves too. Specifically to avoid piecing but with the bonus of having flexibility on gauge. When I HAVE measured gauge, I have the same problem you do -- it works one way but not the other. I also highly recommend natural fibers...if you can't find anything good on Raro's site (I think it was Raro's site...somewhere earlier in this thread), I highly recommend Knit Picks for yarn...they have EXCELLENT prices on good yarn.
Posts: 1826 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

I thought I'd bump this up and ask, What's the smallest size needle you've used?
jana at jade house
Member # 559

a one. but it was a very small project and fast to do ( a christmas ball LOOOOOng ago.) I do not think I will ever do a large project with a one...my gramma used to do lace....I think I would stab myself in the forehead before I was done....

but I will sit and pearl a wedding dress all day long... so go figure.

Curelom
Member # 1439

IIRC, the smallest size I've used were the tiny ones we used when we were knitting the leprosy bandages. Were those #2 or #4? Anyway, they were microscopic.

I like to work with bigger needles because I get impatient. I like to see results. If I knit or crochet for a couple of hours, it's too discouraging to see a quarter inch of work. [Roll Eyes]

This is probably the main reason I haven't tried to learn tatting. I have a shuttle & a book of basic instructions, but I look at that fine thread & the tiny stitches & figure it will take me 5 months to make 5 square inches. And so out come my size 8 knitting needles or H or I crochet hook.

[ December 29, 2012, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

jlm
Member # 1843

- posted      Profile for jlm   Email jlm         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife has used a size zero knitting needle to do fair isle on fingerless mittens.
Posts: 1549 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

I am bumping for a learn-from-my-experience moment.

Small knitting needles scared me. Now they don't. But I'll tell you that if you need size 0 or 1 needles, Do. Not. Get. Bamboo. I'm almost finished knitting baby booties that I started back in October. One reason for delay was my DP needles bending, splintering and breaking. I had to order aluminum 40" circulars because I couldn't get them locally. So much better.

Roiwynn
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for Roiwynn   Email Roiwynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I didn't know this was here! I was just thinking about starting a thread asking if anyone in Nauvoo did tatting. I've just started learning it (combination of reading, youtube videos and a very nice lady in our knitter's group who has given me some tips) and am working on a few projects.

I do some knitting and crochet also though not enough to really make anything. I just now am trying to get the hang of double and triple stitch in crochet. My main interest is vintage patterns and I've got some pretty vintage crochet patterns if anyone is interested [Smile]

Posts: 474 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

Tatting: I do it, I do it well actually; I am one of the few tatting teachers around. I have a former student who charges by the inch and people pay her...I should have asked for commission.
But do I tat for myself? ah no. I might tat some lace for Else's wedding gown...but it will be because I have nothing better to do [Smile]
I am working on those one skein specialty yarn scarves now to take back to China. I have about 6 made- to take- and I have made about a dozen- they take two evenings of TV for me- about 5 hours. That is about as long as I can stand to work on a yarn project without feeling crazy. Maybe because I have lists of projects I need to complete...

Curelom
Member # 1439

Maybe I'll dig out that tatting shuttle & give it a try. It looks like something that requires a lot of patience, the way counted cross-stitch does (& I don't do a lot of that either). Patience because of the small scale of the work - & patience because it takes a long time to see major results. [Big laugh]

I haven't done much knit or crochet lately because I got preoccupied with other things, but when I finish doing my taxes in the next day or two, I'll try to pick it up again.

Fortunately I have a stash of yarn & I'm not coveting after any new tools or toys at the moment. The money that's going to Washington & Sacramento to vanish forever & ever into the great bureaucratic bottomless pit is money I might otherwise have used for some hobby materials. [Grumble]

The last toy I got wasn't expensive, maybe US$10 or so, but it looked novel & fun. It's called the Knook, & you knit with a thing that looks like a crochet hook with a point. I put it with other toys in my tackle box that I use for knitting notions, with the intention of picking it up later, & that was 3-4 months ago. Hee hee. I'll get around to it one day, just as I get around to everything eventually. [Wink]

Has anyone used a knitting machine? I'm not thinking of getting one, but wondered what people thought.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

I've seen those Knooks and was curious, but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

My sister has a knitting machine and wasn't pleased with it. I think part of it is that she wanted something fully automatic, but she bought (or was given) a manual. So she still had to go through and set pegs for each row as well as guide the shuttle across. For her, it was faster to go back to two needles.

Curelom
Member # 1439

It wouldn't be a big plunge, Goody, because it isn't expensive. It costs maybe $10 or $12. The whole package is small enough to slip in a coat pocket. I don't know how big or complicated a product you could make, although the kit comes with cords which I assume store the stitches like cables on circular needles.

One of these days I'll get around to trying it out, then I can report back to you (unless you get one & try it out first, which is quite possible [Big laugh] )

I looked at a knitting machine out of curiosity, & it seemed so complicated that I decided it wasn't worth thinking about for someone who just does basically recreational knitting. And it seems a machine would defeat the purpose of recreational knitting!

[ April 11, 2013, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Curelom ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

I actually gave in today, because I found the kit for $7 at Walmart. It looks a little convoluted compared to crochet, and I expect I'll make some muscle-memory boo-boos when I start playing with it. But I'm looking forward to this, especially if I can use regular knitting patterns. I have a file folder full of patterns I printed from the web that I can't currently use because they're knit.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

So I jumped right in with the Knook.... and got frustrated quickly. But I know my frustrations are learning curve issues.

My biggest problem - and I see similar complaints on the Amazon reviews - is that my stitches are tightening up around the lifeline as I work. Which means I'm even slower because I have to open the loop up again enough to get the tool through. I'm only about 4 rows in on a 10 stitch wide swatch, and it took me about an hour so far.

That said, I never was comfortable with two needles, so the fact that I've gotten this far is actually a form of progress. And the reason I was on Amazon looking at reviews was that I was actually looking to see if there were more sizes available than the three in the kit. There's an "expanded" kit that included my three plus one larger and one smaller, and a kids' kit that has two even larger plastic hooks for bulky yarns. I was hoping for smaller hooks for baby/sock yarns.

Curelom
Member # 1439

Well, you're ahead of me, Goody, & I've had mine for months [Laugh] [Big laugh]

Is there a specific reason you aren't comfortable with two needles? Another alternative to try for socks or other tubular shapes is the round knitting looms, & there are straight looms to do flat pieces. You cast onto pegs on the loom & use a sort of pick to work the stitches. ProvoCraft is the pioneer in these looms, but others have appeared in recent years. Where I live, you can get a set of 3 round looms in different sizes for $20 or so.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

It just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe because I spend most of my craft time with either crochet or cross stitch.

And I do actually have some of those straight looms. Somewhere.

CrowGirl
Member # 401

My girl Seminary student is a huuuuuge Dr. Who fan, and I found a pattern for a narrow, "Posh" Dr. Who scarf, knitted with baby alpaca yarn. The original pattern (both for the original scarf, and this adaptation)is knitted in garter stitch. I don't like the look of garter stitch for this project, but the color changes seem to be making it almost a necessity. I've tried linen stitch and seed stitch, and like the look, but when I change the colors, it looks awful to me. I've gone through Ravelry (hence the linen and seed stitch attempts), and I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions. Right now, I'm seeing two--knit as directed, or hope that slipping the last stitch while knitting in stockinette will keep it from curling. It's only about 3" wide, so staying flat is a must.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page