Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » Frustrated with church attendance (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Frustrated with church attendance
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really struggling with attending church right now.

As many of you, I have an obnoxious lung disorder that causes no end of fun and excitement. It is seriously messing up my ability to attend church. The problem isn't just that I am frequently very ill and in bed (I have had pneumonia 2 times since July). The problem is that even when I am "well" going to SM is really hard for me because I am so noisy.

In a nutshell, I cough. A lot. It isn't a little delicate "ahem" sort of cough. It is a chunky sloppy painful very loud sort of cough. And there is nothing I can do about it. When it starts,that's it.

My disorder is controlled as well as it can be. But the nasty coughing will always be with me.

It isn't just embarrassing (although is really really is embarrassing). It is loud enough that people around me cannot hear. It is very distracting. People try to be helpful and they pass me cough drops, hard candies, and bottles of water. Of course none of those things help.

I do not like making a scene in SM and there is nothing I can do to stop it. So sometimes I go and just run out as soon as I start. that is trickier then it sounds since I am a little incapacitated by then. Sometimes, I sit in the foyer and just deal with the dirty looks and tossed cough drops.

But what do you do if you really cannot be quiet in church? I don't go to movies or concerts for this reason. I don't really mind the other things I miss. I just can't figure out how to work out church.

Posts: 9063 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
Throwing out a few questions here: Does your meetinghouse have a good PA system so that you can hear the talks, etc. from another room where you can cough without feeling you are disturbing others? If so, can you make sure that someone knows where to find you so that you can partake of the Sacrament?
Posts: 2854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dyany
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for Dyany   Email Dyany         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Gracie I know what you're talking about. Just this morning we had stake conference, and I was in the choir and sitting right behind the podium with the camera catching my every move. I have been trying to get over some crud and I thought I was okay but I had two bad coughing fits. People were handing me water & cough drops & patting my back and it's so embarrassing. Some things I have to remember:
1. People generally try to help because they love you, not because they are annoyed by you.
2. Christ specifically asked the sick and injured to come to him. Some needed help to get there, but they came nevertheless.
3. If it reaches the point where you need to stay home, that's okay. It's between you and the bishop.
I really like the suggestion to find someplace quiet in the church where you can sit and have the sacrament brought to you. That seems to me to bring the best of both worlds together.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparky
Member # 176

- posted      Profile for Sparky   Email Sparky         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like your coughing is an integral part of your ailment. It also sounds to me that the membership of your ward needs to be updated on the specifics of your ailment, and the fact that water, cough drops, and dirty looks, etc., do not help, and the fact that t can not be stopped once it has started. We have a child in our ward who is "stage 6" allergic to peanuts . . . even being in close proximity to them can cause problems. We were all reminded about it at relief society and at sacrament meeting today. Perhaps your relief society presidency (or you) needs to mention it so that all will understand and maybe the obnoxious behavior toward you will cease, or at least slow down. And check in to what the others said about the public address sytem being piped into another room.
Posts: 2841 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pnr
Member # 1270

- posted      Profile for pnr   Email pnr         Edit/Delete Post 
The church last year authorized all buildings to be wired up for internet (there was a graduated rollout and stakes didn't have to do it, but could). Ask your bishop to ask your stake president to let you attend church via skype either in a separate room in the building or from home. I've read about this option for Stake Conference, so it must be available for sacrament meetings too. (Maybe it would be a good idea to go to the lds tech blog and find out what the capacity is of the system before asking your leadership who may be as yet clueless.) tech.lds.org
Posts: 2553 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Churchmouse
Member # 11294

- posted      Profile for Churchmouse   Email Churchmouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think palmetto gal has the best idea.
We have a man in our ward that cannot sit in SM for medical reasons. He sits in the Relief Society Room and listens to the meeting. Sacrament is taken to hin there.
If people are giving you dirty looks because of your ailment, the Bishop needs to address the ward.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for trooperswife   Email trooperswife         Edit/Delete Post 
If it were me, I would go to the mother's lounge or another room where I could hear. I think our RS room has a speaker for the chapel. And I would ask for the Deacons to be made aware that when they go outside to administer the sacrament to those in the hall, they should check the mother's lounge and/or RS room also, so I could receive it.

We have made accommodations for young women who struggle. One YW couldn't climb stairs after back surgery, so we moved the YW class rooms to the main floor for a time. Another YW is highly allergic to peanuts, so we carefully choose only approved snacks and cake mixes for our Cupcake Sundays.

My personal feeling is that we are blessed when we have the opportunity to see that some people don't have it as easy as we do, and when we get the chance to consider how to help them to have their Sunday worship. It is a blessing to be able to worship...and cases like yours and these YW are reminders to the rest of us of that.

Posts: 4453 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a building that wasn't equipped with PA speakers in several places, including the foyer, RS, a classroom or two, the mothers' room, & another place or two.

Do you get enough warning from your plumbing when a coughing spell is about to start to give you a minute to exit? I'm thinking it would be nice to at least sit part of the time in the chapel with the other people, just to have the fellowship of being in the group. If you can tell a few seconds in advance that a spell is about to start, & you sit near the door, does that give you enough time to get to the foyer before you wake up all the HPs with your coughing?

Of course, as others said, be sure those who are passing the Sacrament are aware (not just for this week, but on a regular basis) that some people may be outside the chapel & shouldn't be forgotten.

If the bishop needs to address the ward about consideration for people with health concerns, I think it should be in general terms. Not "Gracie is having bad pulmonary problems & may start hacking during the Sacrament, so please refrain from staring or murmuring if she has to go out & sit in the foyer." It should be worded in terms of concern for all who are having challenges, some of which are less evident or maybe not even known to most people ("in the quiet heart is hidden..."), & the need for everyone to be patient & understanding.

Posts: 14393 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmon
Member # 600

- posted      Profile for palmon   Email palmon         Edit/Delete Post 
While all church building may have a pa system - not all of them have working systems. The idea of letting people in the ward know the issue is nice but of course, that means you give up a level of your privacy.

Concerning the 'disapproving looks': the natural expression of many people is a frown. It doesn't mean anything - even if they stare. Staring seems pretty straight forward until you realize that people often 'stare' when they are 'a million miles away'.

[ September 19, 2010, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: palmon ]

Posts: 5632 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
[DERAIL AND IT'S ROPER'S FAULT]
quote:
Good suggestion, Roach Girl
Oh roper, my friend, I'm giving you a pass on that one, albeit with a comment. The palmetto (as you know) refers to the Palmetto State (South Carolina). And why am I feeling so magnanimous? Because there have been a couple of times here at Nauvoo where you've had my back and I appreciate it. [Kiss] But don't try the "roach" stuff again. People might start checking my purse for doobies. [ROFL] [ROFL] [/DERAIL AND IT'S STILL ROPER'S FAULT]
Posts: 2854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
Palmetto Bug [Eek!]
Posts: 14393 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for V.   Email V.         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not up to finding the proper picture for a palmetto bug. However, I can tell you that the American cockroach isn't the same thing. V.
Posts: 4299 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for Sweet William   Email Sweet William         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't know what to say. I pray for you all the time.

I like the idea of sitting in the foyer, but I am sure that you want to be with your kids and husband at church.

From time to time, adjustments must be made, and sitting in the foyer or a room with a functioning PA system (with your family) are worthwhile ideas.

Perhaps sitting in the chapel really close to the door, so you can get outside more quickly if you need to?

I just keep coming back to one thought that you said one time: "No one can make me feel uncomfortable in My Father's house." And that is true. It is your Father's house, and no matter what, He is always always happy to see you. [Smile]

Posts: 8605 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormon_Yoda
Member # 11437

- posted      Profile for Mormon_Yoda   Email Mormon_Yoda         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a serious topic, but can't help myself...

See if you can get one of these installed in the chapel..

sound proof bubble chair

Or construct something like a phone booth but just big enough for you to sit in and it has sound proof glass.

Ok, not real constructive advice, but heh, I tried.

Just one of those things when physical limitations get the best of us and squash our personal desires.

Posts: 506 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for trooperswife   Email trooperswife         Edit/Delete Post 
And know I now what Trooper can get me for Christmas.
Posts: 4453 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 762

- posted      Profile for Randy   Email Randy         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were in our ward, or anyone else with the health problem that you have, I would still want to see you or them with us in church.

But I'd like to know that you don't have something catching, assuming that you were a ward member who isn't posting on Nauvoo. When my wife gets a bug, she gets it for a month. The person she got it from is healthy for 28 or 29 days while she suffers.

Posts: 3732 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
Palmetto's idea is the beginning of the best plan, given that a Get Smart cone of silence isn't really feasible. (But, I have so many applications where it would be great).

However, that plan is also contingent on if the ward building is shared and just what is happening elsewhere in the building. Most buildings have a few rooms where people can listen in on sacrament and not be disturbed by the noise of the foyer. But with shared access those rooms are often consumed for other uses by the other wards.

However, it's possible that one of them remains empty, or if asked can be made empty.

Also, if you want to stop the flow of dirty looks, cough drops and what not, then you will need to make a public explanation. Perhaps learn to pronounce the doctor speak name of your disease, and the doctor speak way of describing your symptoms (after all it garners much better sympathy if you say I'm suffering from Erythema multiforme instead of I've got a rash), then tell them all perhaps in a testimony meeting.

Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for Jen   Email Jen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately because I've been such a miserable whiner about morning sickness and tiredness and all of that, we're late to sacrament meeting more often than not. Usually by the time we get there, the seats are all taken and we'd have to set more up if we wanted a place (I don't know why they don't just set up enough chairs in the first place). Since I'm in Primary, my whole family is frequently in the Primary room listening to the feed from the chapel. It's probably not a good habit since I don't really have a good reason, and I don't know when I last got there in time to take the sacrament; but I think palgal is on the right track. The deacons just need to know where to take the sacrament to you.
Posts: 4614 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOne
Member # 431

- posted      Profile for TheOne   Email TheOne         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes, I sit in the foyer and just deal with the dirty looks...
I would ignore the dirty looks if you're in the foyer. If they don't like your coughing they can go into the chapel.

I second some of the other comments regarding listening in another room. There should be some wired for that. However, I know it would not be the ideal situation to have to isolate yourself that way.

Regarding your lung condition - if you're coughing a lot is it to break up fluid/mucus in the lungs? Have you heard of the lung flute? I have no idea if that has any application for your condition but there it is.

Posts: 6038 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PollyAnna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for PollyAnna   Email PollyAnna         Edit/Delete Post 
Gracie, I feel your frustration. My "cross" is pain... I have to fidget through said pain to sit in church at all. There are a few people that have asked me if they can get me some tylenol, or when I just have my cane ~ if need help to the restroom... [in Pink's honor I WON'T roll my eyes at that one.]

I wonder all the time if there is any way the pews and chairs in the RS room in our building could be made any more uncomfortable.? I mean really, they ARE "padded" but beyond hard ~ they are LUMPY! The front on our pews angle up, so my feet don't "really" touch causing me even more discomfort. BTW, I am not particularly short, I know many sisters whose feet barely touch if they sit back in the pews..

Taking my wheelchair is extra work, especially when hubby's working and not there to help me. Plus it's really inconvenient because of the age and dynamics of our building, but sometimes it's beyond necessary, just so that I can sit for more than 2 minutes without fidgeting, and in pain. One week I brought a more comfortable "lawn chair" to sit in, and that worked for me better and it was light weight so I could carry it myself... but a sister who was offended made a comment loud enough [in the chapel] that I heard, so I really doubt I will do that again ~ despite assurances from our Bishop and RS Pres that whatever works for me, is fine with them.

I wish I could offer some kind of solace, but I have found I have to just keep trying and do what I can to make it as often as I can, because I need church and I need to make the effort to be there for the spiritual strength it gives me during the following week, and if I go, I deserve to be in the chapel too.! But sometimes I prefer to sit in the foyer too... or at home and re-listen to Conference talks, because the effort IS so huge.

Posts: 6447 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan
Member # 2246

- posted      Profile for Susan   Email Susan         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of attending church but sitting in the foyer, RS room, etc and listening to the meeing over the PA. There are blessings for you and those around you by being obedient to going to your church meetings. I know I gain a lot of strength by just being at the church.

My husband had cancer. It started in his kidney but ended up with mets in various parts of his body. At one time a tumor came up behind one of his eyes. He had to have the tumor removed. In order to do that they had to take his skull apart and it caused a really large scar. Then mets came up on the outside of his head. He had numerous large bumps.

Once my husband suggested that he stop going to church because he was embarrassed about how he looked and what people probably thought. He was afraid that he was "grossing out" people because of the way he looked.

We decided that he needed to go to church and the members of the ward needed to see him there. They needed to know that he was committed enough to the Lord to be there even though it was hard and embarrassing. People noticed that he was always there and that has been a legacy that he left for many people since his death 9 years ago.

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

quote:
One week I brought a more comfortable "lawn chair" to sit in, and that worked for me better and it was light weight so I could carry it myself... but a sister who was offended made a comment loud enough [in the chapel] that I heard, so I really doubt I will do that again ~ despite assurances from our Bishop and RS Pres that whatever works for me, is fine with them.

No, no, no! Polly, I'm beyond being shocked and appalled that a fellow Latter-day Saint would would make an offensive comment about where you choose to place your posterior! We have a sister in our Branch who suffers a lot from osteoporosis, mainly in her hips. When she can make it to church, her husband goes into the RS room and brings in a big old honkin' pale blue wingback chair that was donated for this sister's use, because that's what helps her to sit more comfortably. Gospel Doctrine is held in our chapel, so the chair stays there for the second hour. Priesthood is held in the chapel during the third hour, so her husband picks up this big old honkin' wingback chair and lugs it back to the RS room for his wife. Nobody says anything about it. We'd all rather have her there in a "nonconventional" chair than to have her stay home because she's too uncomfortable.

Where is your HT and why can't he (or even the Aaronic Priesthood holders) help with the wheelchair? Would it be possible to put a spare "lawn chair" in an unobtrusive spot for your weekly use, like perhaps the clerk's office?

SusieQ
Member # 10797

- posted      Profile for SusieQ   Email SusieQ         Edit/Delete Post 
Polly ~ there will always be the ONE loud mouth, rude woman who lets her views known. Please realize that the rest of the ward knows her and recognizes her views as just that...HER views. Take your chair, put a big bow in your hair, a smile on your face and lug that beautiful lawn chair around wherever you need to! [Kiss]
Posts: 411 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PollyAnna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for PollyAnna   Email PollyAnna         Edit/Delete Post 
p-gal... All of the things you mention ARE possible, although the building IS really not as wheelchair friendly as some of the newer buildings, so I thought the lawn chair was a good alternative... I truly hate being made a fuss over, which is I suspect part of Gracie's issue too. Who like to be the subject of attention... year after year?

It's one thing to have hubby help me, it's another thing to "ask"... Our current HTers are both older and handicapped themselves. It's my pride I guess, and I knew even as I typed my previous post, that I just need to get over myself... As I have mentioned before, years and years of being "served" make you a bit over sensitive to the fact that others are always needing to make allowances for you.

So to you p-gal and darling SusieQ, I promise will gratefully remember your encouragements, as I follow my Bishop's previous council. I'll take my pretty little lawn chair (I even bought a brand new one [Wink] when I decided to try that) and feel grateful that I know that I DO have support from most of the people in my ward...

Posts: 6447 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

Polly [Kiss] Nancy (p_gal)
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I do hate the fuss.

The suggestions about a PA system are good. I can't do that right now, because there is a class meeting there (and in every other room). But when we switch to mornings, I will do that and ask for the sacrament in there. It is a great suggestion.

And for the record I do not mind the dirty looks. In fact if you came to my ward and coughed a bunch or brought a sick kid, all my friends would give you dirty looks except the one that would ask you to move. I totally get people not wanting to get sick.

Posts: 9063 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iggy
Member # 2337

- posted      Profile for Iggy   Email Iggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an empty room at all? Every meeting house is equipped with handicap hearing systems. You get the reciever from the librarian.

My dear, dear friend is house bound. The branch gave her the receiver, and she listens to SM and Gospel Doctrine class (held in the chapel) from her living room that is 1 mile away.I believe they can be used up to 5 miles away.

Her HT's bring her the sacrament every Sunday- it is on their way home from Church.

Posts: 424 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, EDG. Just noticed this thread. I haven't read all the suggestions, though the PA's good.

I wonder if you could record the meetings. I suppose there might be some policy against that, though, and it's certainly not as interactive as a lesson in church.

Or Maybe a friend or someone could hold a cellphone that's connected to you with a mute button on your end to the lesson or the services... Then you could listen to lessons when you weren't coughing from any place.

A cell could even provide a little interaction...

--Ray

Posts: 13775 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOne
Member # 431

- posted      Profile for TheOne   Email TheOne         Edit/Delete Post 
As I was reading the lastest posts I was thinking all you really need is a cough muffler. I did a google search and they do exist. I learnt something today.
Posts: 6038 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason
Member # 1256

- posted      Profile for Jason           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a scripture about your situation
quote:
And it came to pass that after much labor among them, they began to have success among the sick class of people; for behold, they were cast out of the synagogues because of the coarseness of their coughing—
3 Therefore they were not permitted to enter into their synagogues to worship God, being esteemed as filthiness; therefore they were poor; yea, they were esteemed by their brethren as dross; therefore they were poor as to things of the lung; and also they were poor in vital capacity.
4 Now, as Alma was teaching and speaking unto the people upon the hill Onidah, there came a great multitude unto him, who were those of whom we have been speaking, of whom were poor in lung, because of their coughing.
5 And they came unto Alma; and the one who was the Janitor among them said unto him: Behold, what shall these my brethren do, for they are despised of all men because of their hacking coughs, yea, and more especially by our priests; for they have cast us out of our synagogues which we have labored abundantly to build with our own hands; and they have cast us out because of our exceedingly gross sounding coughs; and we have no place to worship our God; and behold, what shall we do?
6 And now when Alma heard this, he turned him about, his face immediately towards him, and he beheld with great joy; for he beheld that their afflictions had truly humbled them, and that they were in a preparation to hear the word.
7 Therefore he did say no more to the other multitude; but he stretched forth his hand, and cried unto those whom he beheld, who were truly penitent, and said unto them:
8 I behold that ye are lowly in lung; and if so, blessed are ye.
9 Behold thy brother hath said, What shall we do?—for we are cast out of our synagogues, that we cannot worship our God.
10 Behold I say unto you, do ye suppose that ye cannot worship God save it be in your synagogues only?
11 And moreover, I would ask, do ye suppose that ye must not worship God only once in a week?
12 I say unto you, it is well that ye are cast out of your synagogues, that ye may be humble, and that ye may learn wisdom; for it is necessary that ye should learn wisdom; for it is because that ye are cast out, that ye are despised of your brethren because of your exceeding coughs, that ye are brought to a lowliness of lung; for ye are necessarily brought to be humble.
13 And now, because ye are compelled to be humble blessed are ye; for a man sometimes, if he is compelled to be humble, seeketh repentance; and now surely, whosoever repenteth shall find mercy; and he that findeth mercy and endureth to the end the same shall be saved.
14 And now, as I said unto you, that because ye were compelled to be humble ye were blessed, do ye not suppose that they are more blessed who truly humble themselves because of the word?
15 Yea, he that truly humbleth himself, and repenteth of his sins, and endureth to the end, the same shall be blessed—yea, much more blessed than they who are compelled to be humble because of their exceeding coughing.

[ September 21, 2010, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Jason ]

Posts: 3679 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a local friend who's family lives in Alaska- her family (and much of their branch) attend via "conference call", as I understand. They would otherwise need to go by a slow ferry,etc to get to church, then walk a long time once they arrived at the place where the church is. So they rarely attend in person, rather they call in and get connected to the service. Her dad even gave a talk via telephone.

But EDG isn't living hundreds of miles from church. HOpefully they PA system can work, hopefully those who have issues will get over them and have softened hearts.

And to Polly Anna- take that beach chair! Maybe a young man or even one of the young women can be given a special service opportunity to help move the chair. (Shame on your ward sister who complained. [Frown] )

I know it is tough to get help. When I sprained my ankle in July, one day it took me about 5 minutes to don my shoe as it was so painful. Someone even asked me if I needed help and I said no. I should have asked for help and accepted kindness.

about not reaching the floor: there are little platforms that fold that can be put on the floor so one's feet can be supported. Will try to find a picture. I used to be in a ward w/a sister that would use one of those as well as a special back cushion in all meetings, due to what I think was back pain.

portable folding footrest

[ September 21, 2010, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: nitasmile ]

Posts: 8913 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a lot of helpful ideas here, and I don't have any to add. But I really, really like that bubble chair.
Posts: 5906 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenna Dean is right, that would be something if they would install that chair! Clever idea!
Posts: 8913 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

Jason, I loved that. I printed it and put it in my scriptures. Sometimes I lose perspective.

And, ya'll can laugh if you want to, but I ordered a cough muffler. I had never heard of such a thing but I found some reviews after I saw that link. I'm trying it.

quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
EDG, no way am I laughing. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably order the cough muffler, too. I had no idea such things existed, but it makes sense that it does now that I read about it. [Smile]
Posts: 4881 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Janey   Email Janey         Edit/Delete Post 
EDG, I want to hear how the cough muffler works for you.

Jason, you made me laugh.

Posts: 4775 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One week I brought a more comfortable "lawn chair" to sit in, and that worked for me better and it was light weight so I could carry it myself... but a sister who was offended made a comment loud enough [in the chapel] that I heard, so I really doubt I will do that again ~ despite assurances from our Bishop and RS Pres that whatever works for me, is fine with them.
Personally, since I have my own high backed lawn chair that lives at church, if anyone said anything at at all about my chair, I would make a beeline to the Bishop and make some noise. I have so little patience anymore for crap like that. I figure I pay my tithe, I am raising the only youth that are truly active in my ward, i clean the building faithfully, I give rides for free, I donate footstools: I can sit in a chair that supports my shoulders and neck. Heck we don't even have pews, we have crummy stackable chairs the don't give any kind of support. We have a large stack of pillows in the chapel and several chairs with arms for those who need extra comfort aids... Just last week I found a high back support that I am trying out on the regular chairs- so I don't have to haul the lawn chair around. Our ward is mostly the aged and/or infirm - no eyebrows raised.
Why should you, Miss P. have to put up with pain just because another sister hasn't a whiff of charity in her body?

Posts: 6091 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink Floyd
Member # 275

- posted      Profile for Pink Floyd           Edit/Delete Post 
PollyAnna:

If I were bishop, and you showed up at church with your own lawn chair, I would be horrified.

Horrified that I didn't recognize your problem.

Horrified that you had been suffering for any period of time at church.

Horrified that you had to drag your own chair all the way from home.

I would try to make it up to you by having a shiny new lawn chair in the clerks office for you next week, and a handsome deacon to set it up for you wherever you wanted to sit.

Posts: 11802 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink Floyd
Member # 275

- posted      Profile for Pink Floyd           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do hate the fuss.

I understand that.

But you are also denying the Aaronic Priesthood an opportunity for service. I would suggest sitting down with the YM president and 1st Assistant to the bishop, explain your problem and let them help you come with a solution. The hearing impaired units are a possibility. We can hook ours up into a portable CD player and put the sound through those speakers. Or nice headphones plug into them as well. There is always one room vacant during Sacrament meeting: The bishops office. No reason you can't sit in there in a nice comfy chair and listen to the meeting.

Speak up and allow someone else a chance at blessings for helping you out. It is what you would want to do if the roles were reversed.

[ September 22, 2010, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Pink Floyd ]

Posts: 11802 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Wishing for the millioneth time that Nauvoo would be recognized as a real ward and that Pink was in leadership there. [The Wave]
Posts: 6091 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page