Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » When science fiction become reality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When science fiction become reality
palmon
Member # 600

- posted      Profile for palmon   Email palmon         Edit/Delete Post 
Scientist find particle that travels faster than light

quote:
A pillar of physics — that nothing can go faster than the speed of light — appears to be smashed by an oddball subatomic particle that has apparently made a giant end run around Albert Einstein's theories.
Scientists at the world's largest physics lab said Thursday they have clocked neutrinos traveling faster than light. That's something that according to Einstein's 1905 special theory of relativity — the famous E (equals) mc2 equation — just doesn't happen.

Mind-Reading Experiment Reconstructs Movies in Our Mind

quote:
It sounds like science fiction: While volunteers watched movie clips, a scanner watched their brains. And from their brain activity, a computer made rough reconstructions of what they viewed.

[ September 22, 2011, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: palmon ]

Posts: 5467 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
fwiw, at this point the speeding neutrinos are a mystery, and they think they've got an error in their system that makes them THINK they're seeing them faster than they really are.

--Ray

Posts: 13563 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 762

- posted      Profile for Randy   Email Randy         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect Ray's right about the error. The difference is so small.

As the article asked, why don't neutrinos that come from distant galaxies seem to get here sooner than the light does?

Posts: 3653 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 762

That machine that reconstructs movie scenes based on brain activity, however, rather blows my mind.
Posts: 3653 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As the article asked, why don't neutrinos that come from distant galaxies seem to get here sooner than the light does?

I didn't find that particular question in the article, so I don't know the context. However, I am curious as to the reasoning behind the thought. What is the reason to believe that a particular neutrino from a solar source left at the same time as the light?
Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 762

It appears that the article has been edited. The paragraph I was referring to now just says "Why hasn't this been detected before?"

When supernova 1987A from one of the Magellanic clouds was detected, the neutrinos were detected three hours before the light was. This was attributed to the idea that the explosion took three hours to reach the surface of the star. The neutrinos would have arrived years ahead of the light with the discrepancy that the article discusses.

See this site.

Jean Valjean
Member # 11606

- posted      Profile for Jean Valjean   Email Jean Valjean         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Randy. The Supernova 1987A delay between photons and neutrinos is remarkably close to theoretical calculations of the shock breakout time. On that basis, I think the smart money is that the CERN result is some kind of systematic error rather than new fundamental physics.
Posts: 1362 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmon
Member # 600

- posted      Profile for palmon   Email palmon         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess the fat lady is not singing yet.

2nd test affirms faster-than- light particles

[ November 18, 2011, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: palmon ]

Posts: 5467 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mhooner
Member # 2200

- posted      Profile for mhooner   Email mhooner         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that it is quite possible that just as there are particles that cannot exceed the speed of light, there are also particles that cannot move slower than the speed of light.

And me may yet discover particles that can exist on both sides of the speed of light.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Valjean
Member # 11606

- posted      Profile for Jean Valjean   Email Jean Valjean         Edit/Delete Post 
A particle that moves faster than light is a particle that can violate causality. In other words, it can move backwards in time.
Posts: 1362 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mhooner
Member # 2200

- posted      Profile for mhooner   Email mhooner         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if ultimately that is what eternal life is, the ability to see the end from the beginning or the beginning from the end.

God says that all things are before Him and time is measured only unto man.

Posts: 1046 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane
Member # 2160

- posted      Profile for Shane   Email Shane         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess warp speed is practical after all. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3317 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeta-Flux
Member # 348

- posted      Profile for Zeta-Flux   Email Zeta-Flux         Edit/Delete Post 
If we assume that anything traveling faster than the speed of light is going back in time, and we compare that with the fact that God is in all things and through all things, simultaneously, that has some serious repercussions regarding causality/temporality from God's viewpoint.
Posts: 5124 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Valjean
Member # 11606

In the eternities, who knows that laws of physics prevail?

But in our fallen world, causality seems to be an important and binding principle.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page