Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » OSC Love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OSC Love
TheOne
Member # 431

- posted      Profile for TheOne   Email TheOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I visit Hatrack, there seems to be too much negativity and complaining aimed at our host. Since Valentine's Day is next week I thought it would be good if we aimed some "love" at our host, Orson Scott Card (and family). Nauvoo is a great spot for OSC to visit and know he won't get a tomato to the face.

I have not read anything of OSC's that I have not enjoyed on some level. It is great to see him get into all sorts of mediums - from comic books, video games, graphic novels, manga and etc. Now Ender's Game the movie is coming but regardless of its outcome I know how great the book is that introduced me to OSC. The whole Enderverse has been enjoyable including Shadows in Flight and Ender in Exile and I look forward to what is to come.

Thanks for Nauvoo and all that you have done for many to enjoy!

Posts: 5941 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much to the Card family:

To his children for getting Dad interested in manga, for giving us classic short films like "Remind Me Again" (would like to see that again, please) and "Jane Austen's Fight Club" (which I cannot view now [Frown] ), for inspiring poetry (found in "Doorways") to ease a hurting heart, and touching family novels ("Lost Boys").

For providing and occasionally contributing to Nauvoo; a haven I discovered in 1999, but felt unworthy or not intelligent enough to contribute to (and besides, who really cared what I thought, anyway?) and so lurked for two years until I developed the courage to do more. I've taken breaks, but always return. It's an extended family, where I can be amongst Saints, which are often in short supply in my real world.

For the writings--novels, poems, short stories and essays--that have been part of my life since I read "Gert Fram" as a child in 1977 (and he wrote it under a pseudonym, even). I devour anything of his that I get my hands on, and he makes me think about human nature in a way no other writer does. My life has been enriched through his writings. He really is my favorite fiction author. And I don't think for one second that he could be who he is as a writer without Kristine. So thank you both for this one.

[ October 18, 2012, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: CrowGirl ]

Posts: 4457 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for Jen   Email Jen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Clap] [Clap] [Clap] [Clap] [Clap] [Clap] [Clap] [Clap]
Posts: 4594 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the Card's for hosting this forum- in a real sense, it is like another ward.
I haven't yet read one of his books, but I will. I have the Ender's Game and will start w/that one.

Posts: 8871 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, we don't thank OSC & the Card family enough for providing this virtual home for us.
[Hat]
Thank you!!!! [Kiss]

Posts: 14179 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for Sweet William   Email Sweet William         Edit/Delete Post 
I could not agree more. Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Card for this place.

And thanks to Gracie for moderating, and thanks to Kathy before her.

[Kiss] Smoochies all around.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 762

- posted      Profile for Randy   Email Randy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you to the Cards.
Posts: 3710 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What everyone else said. [Smile]

I really appreciate having this place to come to. It is another ward for me. I don't get to go to church frequently because I'm chronically ill, but because of this forum, it's easier for me to stay close to the gospel. I love this place.

Thank you, Cards. [Smile]

Posts: 4797 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for V.   Email V.         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] Thank you! V.
Posts: 4235 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. This is my ward away from home.
Posts: 5472 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mombob
Member # 349

- posted      Profile for mombob           Edit/Delete Post 
Right now (for more reasons than I have the time or inclination to talk about)this forum is my link to the church. The members here give me are 85% inspirational to me! Could it be OSC and all of you are the cream of the Mormon crop? Thanks [Wave]
Posts: 332 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparky
Member # 176

- posted      Profile for Sparky   Email Sparky         Edit/Delete Post 
Nauvoo has been an important part of my life for a long time. I lurked for a long time before joining a long time ago! And OSC's writings were very important to me for a much longer time than that. Glad Nauvoo is here. THANKS!
Posts: 2829 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
I love OSC's writing. I enjoy how he always tries to put a clever twist in all he does. I don't always agree with his LDS cultural opinion pieces, but his advice on writing is probably some of the best in the business.

Thanks for Nauvoo, it's been a great place to share life...

--Ray

Posts: 13681 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 305

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. This is very much appreciated. Love to you all.
Posts: 273 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaimilyn
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for jaimilyn   Email jaimilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to everyone, I've made some virtual friends here that while I haven't met them in real life, they know more about me than most of the people I know in real life.

Without the Cards, I wouldn't have had the chance.

So, in addition to the great books that I love reading and look forward to (Enchantment 2 maybe?), the Cards have given me an online family which I am very grateful for.

Posts: 2959 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Valentine's Day, Cards! Thank you for allowing us all to hold our virtual ward meetings in your virtual living room. Thank you for the deeper discussions of doctrine than can occur in Sunday School class, for the place to come whenever there's a question that I need an LDS viewpoint on, and for opening my eyes to the wide range of diversity that makes up the seemingly homogeneous LDS community. I love this place. I wish I could know my ward members this well. (Most of them. [Wink] )

p.s. I love the idea of Enchantment 2 ... always wondered which side those kids would end up on.

Posts: 5905 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmon
Member # 600

- posted      Profile for palmon   Email palmon         Edit/Delete Post 
To add my voice to the chorus of gratitude: thank you! Nauvoo has been a blessing for me.
Posts: 5532 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neatgramma
Member # 1141

- posted      Profile for Neatgramma   Email Neatgramma         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this place by accident when I was preparing to visit Nauvoo and was searching the internet. I love this place, for all the reasons already mentioned. I don't post every day, but visit here almost daily.
Thanks for those who visit here, and the Cards for making it possible, EDG for keeping us civil. [The Wave] [Group Hug]

Posts: 393 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC is the bee's knee's. His lovely wife is the cat's pajama's.
Posts: 8864 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page