Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » Unimportant survey (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Unimportant survey
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
So, the word "been" -- do you pronounce it like
a) Ben
b) bin
c) bean?

(I got this wrong on a second-grade quiz and it's bothered me ever since, because I think the teacher was wrong. But growing up in the US south, you never can tell with pronunciations.)

Posts: 5905 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tendril14
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for Tendril14   Email Tendril14         Edit/Delete Post 
(b)
Posts: 2117 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmon
Member # 600

- posted      Profile for palmon   Email palmon         Edit/Delete Post 
A. Husband says b.
Posts: 5537 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
b
Posts: 8871 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 762

- posted      Profile for Randy   Email Randy         Edit/Delete Post 
A. (originally from Utah if that sheds any light on it).
Posts: 3712 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tendril14
Member # 709

Mrs. Weasley's Howler to Ron was definitely (c).
Posts: 2117 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tendril14
Member # 709

I also suppose the follow up question is how one pronounces (a).

There are some folks in the US, y'know, who absolutely insist that "pen" and "pin" rhyme. I am not one who does.

CookieJar
Member # 11694

- posted      Profile for CookieJar           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely b.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pnr
Member # 1270

- posted      Profile for pnr   Email pnr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've pronounced it each way depending on where I'm pretending to be from. Most common Ben.
Posts: 2488 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamba Tuhan
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for Hamba Tuhan   Email Hamba Tuhan         Edit/Delete Post 
C. It rhymes with words spelt similarly: seen, keen, teen, green, queen, sheen, preen, etc.

[ April 27, 2012, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Hamba Tuhan ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
A) I started in Connecticut (first five years) but have nearly 20 years in Michigan following that.

BTW, when NBC (the other networks decided to follow suit) decided on what region to use for their pronunciation guide, they picked Nebraska because it was in the middle. So, the TV age has grown up speaking like Nebraskans.

Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

just one side derail, related to various pronuciations around the nation. When I lived in Mississippi for a few months during grad school, I worked at a Burger King for awhile. One day a man came in and ordered a whopper with

"double mat"
..I didn't understand what he wanted and felt badly but I had to ask him three times to repeat what he wanted..ie excuse me, please repeat..finally he said "you're not from around here, are you?"

In retrospect, I was somewhat of an idiot and should have figured out what he was asking for sooner. But I didn't.

Posts: 8871 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly a but sometimes c.
Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 1988

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Letter A
Posts: 525 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1412

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Always C - but what do I know? I'm only English.

How y'all decide to destroy our language is up to y'all.

Andrew R.

Posts: 954 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOne
Member # 431

- posted      Profile for TheOne   Email TheOne         Edit/Delete Post 
A for sure.
Posts: 5947 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

I knew all the "beans" would be outside the US. I pronounce it "Ben" but I live around people who say "bin", and my 2nd grade teacher told me that was how it was supposed to be. <grumble>

Of course, I live in a state where, when someone asks you for a pin, you have to ask "The kind you write with or the kind you stick someone with?" They can't pronounce my name either. Literally they can't hear the difference between Jinna and Jenna.

Posts: 5905 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Try living with Jana for over a half century- neither side of the water wants to pronounce it as it looks...and my second first name is Lynn so there are persons at church who call me a cringworth Ya-na -leen. Sigh.
I say ben as in Benjamin and since I live here where the vowel sound in the Dutch word ben is similar I am happily right in step.

"Bin always sounds undereducated to me as in "Where you bin, gal?" and bean sounds snooty to me like "we have Bean to see the Queen." Sometimes I laugh out loud at BritGirl because she sounds like every little corn fed girl's idea of la-di-da. And she isn't. So it is hilarious. You have to be there.

Posts: 6015 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kazbert
Member # 10961

- posted      Profile for kazbert   Email kazbert         Edit/Delete Post 
B

Grew up in NYC, but have relocated so many times since then I no longer distinctly sound like I'm from anywhere in particular.

Posts: 480 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cook
Member # 6041

- posted      Profile for cook           Edit/Delete Post 
one more out of US c here
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neatgramma
Member # 1141

- posted      Profile for Neatgramma   Email Neatgramma         Edit/Delete Post 
A
Posts: 393 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jean Valjean
Member # 11606

- posted      Profile for Jean Valjean   Email Jean Valjean         Edit/Delete Post 
Nasally and with a silent "n".

[Straight answer: Somewhere between A and B.]

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparky
Member # 176

- posted      Profile for Sparky   Email Sparky         Edit/Delete Post 
B. Totally B. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2829 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tendril14
Member # 709

I cannot imagine how on earth one would pronounce that word to rhyme with the first syllable of Benjamin. That would sound just, just, just .... wrong and uneducated, I guess, to me. Ain't it funny how we judge by how we were raised to speak?

But that is just my midwest accent showing. (mind you, the midwest accent, which differentiates between stock and stalk, is considered the lack of accent... which is why so many TV personalities are from Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska-- think Jane Pauley, Johnny Carson, Ronald Reagan).

jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear- I rarely make a judgment on character or quality solely based on one's speech pattern.
Now, my Illinois mother made a huge deal out of it. Probably why I do not.
Except with my children. I get to correct their speech. It's a mom thing.

Posts: 6015 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pnr
Member # 1270

- posted      Profile for pnr   Email pnr         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but I don't know what "double mat" wanted either. Enlighten?
Posts: 2488 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T2
Member # 3078

- posted      Profile for T2           Edit/Delete Post 
a
Posts: 537 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOne
Member # 431

- posted      Profile for TheOne   Email TheOne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hard to place. It is about time to do a local survey to see if they can place my origin. I was born in Idaho to a parent from Belgium and a parent from Texas (however, my dad was raised in Southern California) but who spent about 25 years in Texas from the age of 9 and up (with brief stays in Utah for a mission and Idaho for school). My speaking changes a little according to those I'm around (not a conscious effort) so I may be more Utahan now.

[ April 28, 2012, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: TheOne ]

Posts: 5947 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I knew all the "beans" would be outside the US
Uh... except me? [Razz]
Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scruffydog
Member # 10650

- posted      Profile for scruffydog   Email scruffydog         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about how I pronounce it and would have to go for option D - pronouncing it b'n. We're a bit clipped in this area, whereas Weegies are nasal and drawn out on vowels; they'd be Cs for sure.
Posts: 1656 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

PNR:
quote:

Sorry, but I don't know what "double mat" wanted either. Enlighten?

No need to be sorry!!! Doubla mat= Double meat!!!
Dravin
Member # 11298

- posted      Profile for Dravin   Email Dravin         Edit/Delete Post 
A. My favorite pronunciation difference is greasy (grea-see versus grea-zee).
Posts: 108 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How about the pronounciation of "our"? Do you pronounce it the same as you do "are"? That's been my big one lately.

As to OT, b. Unless I'm thinking about it, and then to be "contrary", c. That one seems to be happening more lately.

Posts: 4461 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamba Tuhan
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for Hamba Tuhan   Email Hamba Tuhan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about the pronounciation of "our"? Do you pronounce it the same as you do "are"?
Completely differently.
Posts: 697 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mhooner
Member # 2200

- posted      Profile for mhooner   Email mhooner         Edit/Delete Post 
'C' definitely.
But, then I'm from Canader eh.

Posts: 1050 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, the elimination of local accents by zealous English teachers is a cultural loss.
Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Roper,

You are terrific. Move out here; CrowDaughter would love you for a 5th grade teacher next year. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4461 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scruffydog
Member # 10650

- posted      Profile for scruffydog   Email scruffydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Oor. How else is it pronounced?
Posts: 1656 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

I pronounce "our" like "are" when it's a non-stressed word, like in "We have to pick up our car from the shop." OTOH, I pronounce it like "hour" when it is an emphasized word, like "That car is ours."

I probably do the same thing with "been," too. I probably do pronounce it like "bin" or more likely "b'n" when it's a non-stressed word -- "I've b'n sick." But when it is an emphasized word, I tend to say "ben". "Hey, sweetie, how've you ben?" And it's funny you should feel that "ben" sounds uneducated, Tendril -- that's exactly how I feel about "bin" because it sounds southern, and I have a bias against southern accents in that I feel they just sound unedumacated. Despite the fact that I live in the south and know a lot of very educated people with that accent. It's a condition of growing up with television, I suppose -- on television a person with a southern accent is rarely shown as intelligent, with Julia Sugarbaker as the exception.

kazbert
Member # 10961

- posted      Profile for kazbert   Email kazbert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except with my children. I get to correct their speech. It's a mom thing.
My wife's from DC and I'm from NYC, but we ended up rasing our kids for 12 years in Indiana. We consider it as one of our greatest achievements that our children still speak English correctly. A lot of Hoosiers conjugate their verbs in an odd way. ("Buyed" instead of "bought," "drived"/"drove.")
Posts: 480 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page