Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » General Discussions » LDS Scriptures and the Kindle Paperwhite

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LDS Scriptures and the Kindle Paperwhite
Shane
Member # 2160

- posted      Profile for Shane   Email Shane         Edit/Delete Post 
So my wife bought a Kindle Paperwhite after various recommendations, chiefly by my daughter. Anyway, Ann (my wife) is not really interested in anything other than the scriptures and various other church-related publications for her Kindle. In fact, the main reason she got one is because her disease makes it tough to carry the weight of her Bible and Triple at church, and she wanted access to the scriptures in a lighter weight format. So all this is coming from the aspect of having never used such a device before (and neither have I). Anyway, our daughter helped her download the scriptures onto the Kindle, and then the next morning, Ann tried to access them, but there was no table of contents or any way that we could tell to jump from say, 2 Nephi 3:15 to John 3:14. These are the same scripture download from Amazon that my daughter has on her older Kindle, so supposedly, they should work. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Posts: 3366 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 10838

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Kindle version of scriptures are generally far better for straight through reading than jumping to references. the LDS Tools Apps for smartphones and tablets (such as the Kindle Fire) are generally programmed more for that.

I know there are some unofficial downloadable versions of the scriptures I've seen around which are designed to have a reference in front of each verse, so you can do a search for the direct reference and go to it. However, it really breaks up and gets in the way of the reading experience.

I love my Kindle Touch, but would never think of using it for quick scripture lookup!

Posts: 1263 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the paperwhite so can't tell you anything about it. I have this set of scriptures. I had another set to start with, but had a lot of problems with it. This one still doesn't navigate like I would like it to, but it is much better. It does have a table of contents, but it is a bit of a pain to work your way through it.

LDS docs is a great blog for LDS sources. When you get on his email list he will send you the church magazines and other things as he changes them into Kindle format.

Posts: 5564 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane
Member # 2160

Thanks, Taalcon. Actually she doesn't really need the quick reference part, but does need to be able to navigate back to a table of contents for the Book of Mormon from a chapter in 1st Kings (just as an example of something we might be asked to do in Sunday School etc.). So far, we haven't even figured out how to do that.

Thanks, yungmom. I'll bookmark that blog.

Posts: 3366 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

OK, since I don't have the paperwhite it may not work, but how I do that is push the "menu" button. Then "go to". Then "table of contents" (I think that's the right term). Have you already tried that? Or maybe she just gets frustrated (like I do) with all the steps?
Posts: 5564 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane
Member # 2160

Yes, and there's no "Table of Contents" listed there, unless it's possible to scroll down. I'll have to check that when I get home.
Shane
Member # 2160

No. There's no table of contents on that list.
palmon
Member # 600

- posted      Profile for palmon   Email palmon         Edit/Delete Post 
LDS Scriptures - Complete LDS Standard Works with Footnotes - over 300,000 Links [Kindle Edition]

quote:
Book Description
Brought to you by the LDS Book Club (a Packard Technologies company), this essential collection includes the complete LDS Standard Works. Fully footnoted and indexed with over 300,000 links this collection is perfect for the Kindle reader.

Includes:
• LDS Standard Works:
- Old & New Testaments
- Book of Mormon
- Doctrine and Covenants
- Pearl of Great Price

• Scripture Study Aids:
- Guide to the Scriptures
- Bible Dictionary
- Topical Guide
- Joseph Smith Translation (exerpts)
- Triple Combination Index
- The Family: A Proclamation to the World
- The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles

• Key Features:
- Over 300,000 Links (Fully Footnoted)
- Best Kindle Navigation

IMPORTANT NOTE: What sets our library apart from any other is we have pains-takingly spent hundreds of hours specifically on the feature base to make your experience the most rewarding. Our philosophy is that if it’s going to be in electronic format, it ought to include and utilize all the features that an electronic format should provide. One such feature is cross-reference linking. Many other scripture collections don't have links where there ought to be. When studying in a hardcopy version of the scriptures and coming to footnote references, you must take the time to flip through pages to go to the footnote reference. Sometimes this even requires opening a separate book. One of the best features of this collection is the extensive cross-reference linking throughout. This collection is fully equipped with the complete Scripture footnotes, Topical Guide, Bible Dictionary, Index, Guide to the Scriptures, and more. Unlike many other collections, as you study in this edition, you will see hundreds of thousands of links through out the Scriptures and the other study aids. Simply select the links to follow to their respective locations whether it be a footnote to the Topical Guide or to another Scripture references. ‘See also’ topics in the Topical Guide, Bible Dictionary, Index, and Guide to the Scriptures are linked to there respective locations.

Posts: 5632 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

Rats. I'm sorry. I was hoping it would just be you were missing it.
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not seeing at the Amazon web site the same set of scripture I have on my Kindle HD. Also, the version I have on my Kindle looks and behaves the same as the version on my Android phone. Both, copies were downloaded from the device App Store, both are completely free, and both are from the Church.

When mine starts the first menu I see what looks like a table of contents and lists (just as it does on my phone) Study Notebook, Scriptures, General Conference, Magazines, Manuals, Music, Other.

And so on as I drill down there are what I consider electronic versions of Table of Contents.

When I down load from the app store the icon image is a black book with a Moroni statue on the front.

I am completely satisfied with the footnote navigation, but I'm not a scholar.

[ February 01, 2013, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: FlyByNight ]

Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 10838

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
FlybyNight:

You're refencing the Gospel Library app for Android/Apple/etc devices (the Kindle Fire HD is an android device). This is a full interactive program different from the simple ebook version able to be read on standard Kindle/Touch/Paperwhite readers.

Posts: 1263 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
My son has a standard kindle and the Gospel Library is installed on it.
Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane
Member # 2160

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I solved it for now by bookmarking the Table of Contents page.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page