Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » NauvooTimes Forum » In the Village - Orson Scott Card » Songs affirm our heritage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Songs affirm our heritage
Nauvoo
Administrator
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Nauvoo           Edit/Delete Post 
Songs affirm our heritage
Posts: 231 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemann
Member # 974

- posted      Profile for hansemann   Email hansemann         Edit/Delete Post 
The official title of Jessie Evans Smith's signature song is "The King of Glory", NOT "He That Hath Clean Hands". BTW, the song appeared on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's 1966 LP album titled "Bless This House", and, it is an incomplete recording of the song. (they cut about a third of the song).

As a sidenote; a male friend of mine at BYU in the late 60s/early 70s did a dead-on impression of Jessie Evans Smith, in drag no less, with the exagerrated vibrato (more of a warble) and all, singing "The King of Glory". It had us rolling on the floor with laughter.

Posts: 3376 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that song. It is on the very short list of songs I can sing, stay on tune, and sound halfway decent.
Posts: 8864 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brankin
Member # 10832

- posted      Profile for brankin   Email brankin         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a test . . .
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brankin
Member # 10832

- posted      Profile for brankin   Email brankin         Edit/Delete Post 
O-kay!

As I read your column I did a silent scream realizing how many of the "old songs" we have lost, both in and out of the Church. Technology left them behind!

I have a treasured box of 78 rpm records and another of LP's (33 rpm) that I long to hear again. Then there are hundreds of cassettes that need to be saved for posterity.

Recently I scoured the web for a rendition of the Air Force Hymn sung by an all male chorus. The closest I got was one verse performed by The Vocal Majority. (Who BTW are fabulous!)

Thanks for your columns. Especial thanks for teaching seminary!

Amen to preserving our musical heritage using the most current God given technology!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason
Member # 1256

- posted      Profile for Jason           Edit/Delete Post 
Providing a website to archive and make available all sorts of Mormon musical numbers sounds like something that could be done on an established LDS gathering place website by someone who has an interest in it. (Hint to Brother Card, though he has likely already considered it) Registered users could upload their recordings, and a moderator could evaluate the submissions, including a quick check for copyright infringements, and then make them available for general download.

[ January 30, 2009, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Jason ]

Posts: 3643 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl
Member # 10833

- posted      Profile for Carl   Email Carl         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse Evans Smith as a soloist singing The Earth is the Lord's is available as an mp3 at:

http://www.josephsons.org/slmtc/The%20King%20Of%20Glory.mp3

HTH,

Carl

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemann
Member # 974

Again, the title is "The King of Glory", aka "The Earth is the Lord's", aka "He That Hath Clean Hands". [Smile]

The mp3 file is the 1966 recording of Jessie Evans Smith and the MoTabs. I would have been happier to have heard JES singing this in the 1920s or 30s. Unfortunately she was well past her prime when this was recorded.

My 93 year old mother cries when she hears this track; I cry too, but for different reasons! [Wink]

[ January 30, 2009, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: hansemann ]

Posts: 3376 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy
Member # 10835

- posted      Profile for Joy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the columns. They are mental multi-vitamins, causing me to contemplate and reconsider.
As for "My Father's House Has Many Mansions", Lex de Azevedo wrote a song using that scripture as lyrics for the musical production Hosana, the Life of Christ. It was performed by George Dyer.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herr Jones
Member # 1626

- posted      Profile for Herr Jones   Email Herr Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
What's an LP?
Posts: 686 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tendril14
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for Tendril14   Email Tendril14         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, LP referred to Long-Playing; the 78rpm discs took a very very short time to play because they were spinning so very fast; when the 33rpms came out, they turned much more slowly, and so they played for a longer time. LPs are those big vinyl records you have seen, when you think of an "album" and an album cover.

Of course, the singles that introduced the most popular music were played at 45rpm (that's why they are sometimes called 45's).

So this is how you could have fun with the record player as a kid... play the 78s at 33 (for a really really slow sound) and the 33s at 78 (for a very very fast chipmunk like sound, almost indecipherably fast), and do the 45s at either one. It was very funny, inevitably led to mom or dad coming into the room and saying "Stop that!"

Posts: 2117 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PollyAnna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for PollyAnna   Email PollyAnna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's an LP?
This made me feel REALLY old, until I remembered that my kids all know the term and grew up with "vinyl LPs", some of which have never been released on CD... my youngest is only 18... so I don't feel quite so old again...
Posts: 6447 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattai
Member # 1238

- posted      Profile for Mattai   Email Mattai         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine in ten years, kids will be asking what's an iPod?
Posts: 2308 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemann
Member # 974

quote:
This made me feel REALLY old, until I remembered that my kids all know the term and grew up with "vinyl LPs", some of which have never been released on CD... my youngest is only 18... so I don't feel quite so old again...
Me too! Although in addition to vinyl LPs, my kids had cassette tapes. My youngest turns 28 in May. [Smile]
boardmadd
Member # 1706

- posted      Profile for boardmadd   Email boardmadd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So this is how you could have fun with the record player as a kid... play the 78s at 33 (for a really really slow sound) and the 33s at 78 (for a very very fast chipmunk like sound, almost indecipherably fast), and do the 45s at either one. It was very funny, inevitably led to mom or dad coming into the room and saying "Stop that!"
Ah yes, a pastime I spent many a day doing in my youth [Smile] .
Posts: 1886 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valjean
Member # 10773

- posted      Profile for Valjean   Email Valjean         Edit/Delete Post 
Iwasalsoveryfondofplahing33rpmrecordsat85rpmandgotprettymuchthesamereactionfrommydearolddad.
Posts: 2017 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Petunia B
Member # 10841

- posted      Profile for Petunia B           Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the songs you mentioned are on the Bill Gaither Homecoming CDs. I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked is on the one called Jerusalem. The Holy City is on the one called Israel Homecoming. They are both beautiful renditions. These should be available at your local Christan Bookstore. Some Target store carry them also.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caroljean
Member # 10871

- posted      Profile for caroljean   Email caroljean         Edit/Delete Post 
I sang with a group of girls in high school too many years ago to count. In My Father's House are Many Mansions was one of the songs we often performed in church meetings. I misplaced the music long ago and was so pleased to read your column and learn how I could find the music. I'd looked for it on line many times. I plan to purchase it for our choir. Thanks!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabarcrooks
Member # 10876

- posted      Profile for dabarcrooks   Email dabarcrooks         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has some old 78 records of Jesse Evans Smith. As a child I listened to them over and over. How do we preserve them and share them.
Is there on online place? Maybe we should contact the Church History Department. Any suggestions?

quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the artist, so my first comment is that you'd have to check copyright law first to see what the time frame is for music. Is it a certain number of years after the artist's death that it goes into public domain? With books, for example, it's 75 years after the author's death, and up until then, it would be illegal to store an electronic copy of the book that you didn't buy on a website where anyone could download it.

If it's not in public domain yet, then depending on the laws where you're located, you could probably record those LPs to digital form for personal use only, and that would be about it. If not in the public domain, you likely couldn't legally share them. Unless the artist has made them available for anyone to use in any form they like.

Posts: 4797 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemann
Member # 974

Jessie Evans Smith (1902–1971) passed away 38 years ago. She was the third wife of President Joseph Fielding Smith. More information may be found on her at http://www.lds.org/eng/ensign/1971/09/jessie-evans-smith-1902-1971?hideNav=1
Kent P.
Member # 10887

- posted      Profile for Kent P.   Email Kent P.         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to let you know, my Father in-law has a copy of the LP, with Jessie Evans Smith singing the full song of "He that Hath Clean Hands". It is on the LP "Jessie Evans Smith sings Sacred Songs". My Father in-Law is trying to contact Bro. Card to see, given that there are no issues with copyright, to see if he would like to have a copy of the LP on CD. Don't know if Bro. Card reads this forum, but would like to hear from him. Sis. Smith has 10 songs on the record.
palangi
Member # 10889

- posted      Profile for palangi   Email palangi         Edit/Delete Post 
there is a great recording of "In My Father's House Are Many Mansions" by George Dyer on the Shadow Mountain label, 2000 CD called "Wondrous Love"
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page