Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » Mormon Life » Saving Seats

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saving Seats
mombob
Member # 349

- posted      Profile for mombob           Edit/Delete Post 
We had Stake Conference this weekend. The Stake was concerned about attendance at the previous conferences, and after going this time, I wonder if I'm ever going again! It's an hour drive away. We got there an hour early so we wouldn't have to sit in the gym with the floor that magnifies every step anyone makes. Guess where we sat? In the gym. When we got there, there were about 40 people sitting in the chapel and the rest of the pews were "saved". Entire middle pews saved by one person.

Does this happen everywhere or just in the last 3 states where I have lived? The people that save seats are largely people that live in town and come over and plop their coats down and then go back home to bring their families later.

Makes me want to scream! [Mad]

A new convert friend of mine did suggest that we just hang their coats up for them and then have a seat! [Wink]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
That happened in our last stake. After awhile that was discouraged.

It didn't matter. People still showed up an hour early (sometimes a couple of hours early), not to save seats this time, but to be in the seats.

It doesn't happen in this stake.

We've decided we don't care. It is just not worth it for us to come that early as long as we can hear and both stakes have been really good about making sure everyone hears.

Posts: 5575 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Our stake has early am priesthood meetings and a special new convert meeting, so they save seats. That is why last year I joined our stake conf choir- so I'd get a good seat. (there is a thread on that somewhere here)

My former stake required people 4 plus people carpool in order to park in the parking lot. (otherwise you had to go to nearby streets, etc)

So I arranged a carpool of 4 or 5 people. We get there- someone tells me that she has two soft seats saved that I can have. I "gave" those two soft seats to the two friends that carpooled w/me (they were closer friends and I would not feel right sitting there first).

And despite the fact that we were there ONE HOUR EARLY, I ended up in the very back of the gym!!! I was a little miffed at the time.

(this was a big stake conf, I think that might have been when Pres Packer came to our stake)

Posts: 8916 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemann
Member # 974

- posted      Profile for hansemann   Email hansemann         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm generally the organist for Stake Conference so seating has never been a problem for me! [Cool] Parking is another story, however!
Posts: 3376 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In our stake pews are reserved for the elderly, infirm, and investigators and new members. Everyone else sits in the gym.
Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink Floyd
Member # 275

- posted      Profile for Pink Floyd           Edit/Delete Post 
For Stake Conference we meet in the Woods Cross/Bountiful Regional Center, a theater the church purchased and converted to a mini conference center. It seats about 2500 in cushy, crushed velvet, movie theater type seats. (No, they are fixed, don't rock or recline.) There is a large parking lot that goes with it.

Since our average Stake Conference attendance is about 1700, you can show up 5 minutes before starting time and get a very nice seat because like most Mormon meetings, the back fills up first.

It is nice to live in Zion.

[ April 30, 2008, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Pink Floyd ]

Posts: 11802 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for trooperswife   Email trooperswife         Edit/Delete Post 
We had 1000+ attend both of the sessions we had of our last Stake Conference. (we have had split sessions for as long as I have been in this stake, 4 years)

We were getting a new stake presidency, and we had Elder Kikuchi and another authority. It think that's why it was so crowded. We got there 40 minutes early and we had to sit in the gym.

For stake meetings, I've kind of gotten over it.

What still drives me crazy is coming into our ward meetings every week and never being able to find a spot with enough seating for our whole family. For awhile they didn't open the overflow and we'd just have to sit in the foyer. Now they open the overflow, and we sit in the gym portion pretty much every Sunday.

We get there 15-20 minutes early, but that's not soon enough. Coming any earlier presents its own problems, as the little ones have their limits to how long they can behave while sitting reverently in the chapel. There have been days when I have considered turning around and going home when there are once again no seats in the main chapel area. It's hard enough to keep 7 kids happy and quiet in church--let alone do it on folding chairs set on hardwood floors.

Posts: 4453 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Bishop aware of your needs? I cannot imagine that if explained, something cannot be arranged for you whole family to be together on quiet floors.

By the third hour If I don't have something supporting my shoulders, I give up and go home because I hurt too much. So I have a tall backed chair that I bought to go in the chapel. We have special seating with arms for some of our elderly as well. Since it is so high, it has to be in the far section against the wall or no one can see around it. Originally that section was three chair rows. When the kids were little we fit, but now they are as big or bigger than I, so one day while I was hoovering the chapel, I made four chair rows.
And that is how we now have four chair rows...so the family of mine can sit to gether.

The chapel should be THE place we WANT to be on Sunday!

Posts: 6097 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for Sweet William   Email Sweet William         Edit/Delete Post 
..so one day while I was hoovering the chapel, I made four chair rows.
And that is how we now have four chair rows...

I kind of do things like that myself. When I set up the chairs (or am in a room where people are setting up chairs) I try to make sure there are at least two inches between chairs.

Otherwise, they put the folding chairs right next to eachother (yeah, even touching). Seriously, what American over the age of 11 can fit their entire body within the bounds of ONE folding chair?

Posts: 8615 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
our folding chairs can lock together. I always want to lock them.

of course I never sit in them... I go and sit in the Primary room where they pipe in audio/visual for Stake Conference because that's always everyone else's last resort, so we usually get the place to ourselves... The kids run around, and I don't much care as long as there isn't anyone else there.

--Ray

Posts: 13784 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for Sweet William   Email Sweet William         Edit/Delete Post 
...our folding chairs can lock together.

To which I say "a pox on the control freak who invented lock-together folding chairs." (Just kidding, in case it was your grandma, or something) [Smile]

I remember as a primary teacher, the first thing I did upon arrival was to unlock the chairs from eachother on my two rows.

[ April 30, 2008, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Sweet William ]

Posts: 8615 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TapeGuy
Member # 795

- posted      Profile for TapeGuy   Email TapeGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Our stake recently did The Music Man. In order to combat this phenomenon, which irritates me in the extreme, the director locked the church doors and clearly stated in the programs that the doors would open 30 minutes prior to curtain call.

Fat chance.

1 hour before the show even started the entire first half of the gym was 'saved' and my 80 year-old grandmother had to watch the show from the nosebleed section as well as every other geriatric in the stake.

I can't stand people that save seats like that. And you should have heard me go OFF at the entire cast backstage. GRRRRRRR.

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemann
Member # 974

- posted      Profile for hansemann   Email hansemann         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason this topic reminded me of an incident that occurred early on my mission to Norway in the late 1960s/early 1970s. During the Christmas holidays my missionary district got together to celebrate. One day we went to a movie theatre (if I remember right, it was the film of the musical "Oliver"). Anyway our senior companions went to get refreshments while a very green elder and myself "saved" their seats. The Norskis really don't have a word for "saving" seats other that "opptatt", meaning "occupied". Some people approached asking if the seats were occupied. Rather than saying "Ja", and just having learned the Norwegian words for spiritual saving and salvation, the greenie said the seats were "frelst" (saved). Boy did they give him some strange looks. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3376 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemontree
Member # 2372

- posted      Profile for lemontree   Email lemontree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the greenie said the seats were "frelst"
[Clap] [ROFL]

Having served in Denmark, I know watcha mean!

Posts: 701 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Janey   Email Janey         Edit/Delete Post 
For our last Stake Conf, they piped the meeting into an overflow building (not just a room). So instead of going to the stake center, I went to the overflow building. There were maybe 40 people, total. After parking close to a door, I sat in a mostly empty chapel that was very quiet. When Conference was over, I got out of the parking lot with no trouble at all and was home in a few minutes.

I hope they do that every time! It was worth it, just to avoid the parking lot that takes an hour to clear out after the meeting is over.

Posts: 4775 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
SW: I've never seen our chairs locked. In my stake, everyone freaks out about it. That's probably why I'm so draaaaawwwwnnn... to locking the chairs... can't reeesissssssst... [Smile]

--Ray

Posts: 13784 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
This brings to mind the story about the green missionary serving in Germany. He was describing end times and the great earthquakes. He used the term "erdbeeren" instead of "erdbeben". His investigators wondered why huge strawberries were a sign of end times.

Also, the son of one of my friends is serving his mission right now in Austria. He was describing Joseph Smith's first vision and told his investigators that Joseph had gone to a grove (bosquet) to pray. He used the correct word, but his investigators heard it incorrectly and wanted to know why Bro. Joseph would go to a mosque to ask Heavenly Father for guidance.

Posts: 2858 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
probably why I'm so draaaaawwwwnnn... to locking the chairs... can't reeesissssssst
Well Ray if you're ever in our stake, you'll find that like SW, I'm one who often goes and unlocks the chairs! I only unlock the ones "beside" me. The locked chairs makes me feel claustrophobic. (SW's point about people being too close together due to seat size)Plus the locked angle is not as comfortable.

Our RS recently got new UNLOCKING CHAIRS!!! [Smile]
[The Wave]

Posts: 8916 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bokbadok
Member # 420

- posted      Profile for bokbadok   Email bokbadok         Edit/Delete Post 
Our stake has two sessions of conference, so seating isn't too bad. I guess it comes down to expectations... if I go hoping to sit in the chapel, I'm disappointed and annoyed. If I go expecting to sit in the gym, I feel better about sitting there. Once in a great while, I'm pleasantly surprised and we get a softer seat.
Posts: 3181 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For our last Stake Conf, they piped the meeting into an overflow building (not just a room). So instead of going to the stake center, I went to the overflow building. There were maybe 40 people, total.
They divide our stake in two. have go to the stake center, half to another building with conference piped in. Both are pretty much filled, though in the limited experience I have had in this ward so far the overflow building is a little less filled. I've considered going to it next time even if we are assigned to the stake center.

The other advantage is that if they call your name to come up for a spur of the moment testimony in front of 1000 or whatever people, you won't be in that building. [Wink]

Posts: 5575 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking that there must be others in our stake that feel the same way as me, locked chairs are more trouble. They're harder to setup, harder to take down, and just plain annoying for those that sit in them.

(Trying to force us to be skinny-minnies, must be a perverted take on the WOW [Grumble] [Wink] )

And for saving seats, we never notice, we don't get there early enough to even think about those issues. But, I tell you what, if I did get there, and the stuff saving the seats was unattended, I'd be moving ALL of it to the folded seats. If anybody challenged me, I'd say that I had been instructed by the leaders to move any unattended "saves" to the folded chairs. (I'd repent later <evil laugh> [Razz] ).

Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page