Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » Mormon Life » Halloween (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Halloween
Susan
Member # 2246

- posted      Profile for Susan   Email Susan         Edit/Delete Post 
Is your unit doing anything for Halloween/Fall Harvest, etc?
Posts: 417 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got the trunk or treat thing on Saturday.
Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My ward's Trunk or Treat for the primary children is Friday night, and the YM/YW groups help with that by running games and activities for the littles. The Relief Society Harvest dinner was two weeks ago.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Chili cookoff, definitely. Trunk-or-Treat, maybe.

We are so out of it. No costumes. CrowDaughter is having a Read-In all day at school on Monday. I've volunteered to come in to read. I thought about coming dressed as Scheherezade, but CrowDaughter doesn't think anybody will get it.

Posts: 4603 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be very cool and appropriate, CrowGirl. Too bad CrowDaughter thinks it would be over everyone's heads.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trooperswife
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for trooperswife   Email trooperswife         Edit/Delete Post 
No, our ward isn't doing anything this year.

Commence happy dance.

[Party]

Posts: 4453 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [ROFL] [Laugh]
quote:
I thought about coming dressed as Scheherezade, but CrowDaughter doesn't think anybody will get it.
clever, you
Posts: 6098 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoudmouthMormon
Member # 6140

- posted      Profile for LoudmouthMormon   Email LoudmouthMormon         Edit/Delete Post 
Word got out that our new Bishop was going to put the keibosh on the traditional trunk or treat. Something about it not being tied in any meaningful way to the Gospel. It was hall-talk gossip, so I do not know one way or the other.

I don't know what happened, but the trunk-or-treat is going to happen this weekend, although with a chili cook-off starting things off.

It makes me happy. The first time anyone in that ward ever met us, was when I and my pregnant wife and our rottweiler showed up in their parking lot with our decorated trunk and goodies. We figured if they'd accept us crashing their trunk-or-treat, they'd accept us. So we moved in shortly after that.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonB
Member # 375

- posted      Profile for JonB   Email JonB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Word got out that our new Bishop was going to put the keibosh on the traditional trunk or treat. Something about it not being tied in any meaningful way to the Gospel.
Our Bishop felt the same way about stuff our ward did, but then our testimony meetings ended up being 10 minutes long, so he had to back off.

[Wink]

Posts: 1460 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindytee
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for Cindytee   Email Cindytee         Edit/Delete Post 
Our ward does a carnival-style party every year. Last year it included trunk-or-treat (I won first place for car decorating by turning my car into a pirate ship) and this year there will be trick or treating from door to door in the building. There's also a chili cook-off, cake decorating contest, hot dogs for everyone, and lots of games. It's always the biggest event of the year. The children bring their friends, and we often see famiies that we haven't seen in church in ages, as well as lots of nonmembers. It's a great missionary/activation tool.
Posts: 1330 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, our ward isn't doing anything this year.

Commence happy dance.

Me too.

[Party]

Posts: 5583 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Our chili cook off and trunk or treat activity is the biggest event of the year for our ward, and my favorite one. It requires the least amount of planning and effort by the various organizations, because the members all bring the food, and the only activities are the Costume parade, the Trunk or Treat, and a haunted house (or haunted primary room) that the YM have been doing for like 30 years. No activities to plan. No food to buy or menu to prepare. Just setting up tables and cleaning up after, and lots of visiting with active friends, inactive friends and non-member friends. LOVE it.
Posts: 5906 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Our ward is having a party and trunk or treat, combined with the Spanish-language ward that shares our building, like we always do. But it's a "Harvest festival" like it always is, because some people object to Halloween. I am not sure why changing the name makes it ok, when we still play Halloween music, dress up in costumes, etc.? [Confused]

In any case, we're not going. Our soy-allergic daughter is now also reacting to peanuts, and she'll be getting enough candy we have to take away from her. Sigh.

Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the most successful activities of my former ward was the annual trunk or treat, combined w/a chilli cook off and Halloween games!
I remember the Bishop being pleased w/how many came to that event that didn't come to other things all year. I think it is good to have non threatening events where people can attend.

When I moved to my current ward and was on the activitities committee, I tried to encourage the same activity here but to no avail. They combined w/another ward for trunk-or-treat but no games. (kind of sad to me, the few games were fun!) And they didn't want to do a chilli cookoff event since the EQ had one.(Several EQ presidents ago now! The EQ chilli cookoff is now for the whole ward but still on another fall night)

One year when I was on the activity committee we did have a "fall festival" but were not authorized to have it more Halloween themed but it was still a fun event.

[ October 28, 2011, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: nitasmile ]

Posts: 8924 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EDGJanitor
Administrator
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for EDGJanitor   Email EDGJanitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Our brand spanking new Bishop cancelled trunk or treat. It was uh, brave of him. People are pretty annoyed.

I don't think the church has to provide trunk or treat so I am not offended but we will miss it. Where we live a block is a mile. Some blocks have 4 houses on them. Trick or Treat is a real pain.

Posts: 9094 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dianoia
Member # 3756

- posted      Profile for dianoia   Email dianoia         Edit/Delete Post 
And once again I learn about regional differences here at Nauvoo. The only times we have a trunk-or-treat done is when Halloween is held on a Sunday, so we meet in the parking lot of the church Saturday night. There's never been a chili cook-off or anything like that, as all the activities happen outside and it's pretty dark by the time we get going.
Posts: 1982 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
(Not to mention getting a bit chilly by then, especially if you live further north...)

I've only ever heard of trunk or treat through Nauvoo, so there ya go. [Smile]

Posts: 4891 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormon_Yoda
Member # 11437

- posted      Profile for Mormon_Yoda   Email Mormon_Yoda         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, some of you need to forcefully point out to your Bishop that the First Presidency gives the ward an Activities budget. Last I checked, meeting together for activities strengthens the bond between members.

What party poopers.

When I was once upon a time ago called to be EQ Pres I instantly knew and confirmed by the spirit who my 2nd councelor was to be, he was the fun loving, hand shaking, party animal in the bunch. I knew he would be great in planning events and brining the quorom closer together. Unity is key to success.

[ October 28, 2011, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Mormon_Yoda ]

Posts: 506 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoudmouthMormon
Member # 6140

- posted      Profile for LoudmouthMormon   Email LoudmouthMormon         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember home teaching a guy in an apartment complex. Around the 2nd week of October, he had a big rambling proclimation taped to his front door, about how people were NOT to knock on his door on Halloween, because he was Mormon, and we Mormons don't interact with satanic people doing unholy things, and quotes from the book of Revelation, and blah, blah, blah.

I had a good missionary experience or two, explaining to his neighbors about how he was off in lala land.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herr Jones
Member # 1626

- posted      Profile for Herr Jones   Email Herr Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed recently how my wife and daughters are being invited to various church things, Relief Society functions, YW functions, Ward functions, and they all say the same thing "it will be fun".

I believe this is some sort of psychological trick they are employing. We will tell you before you arrive that it will be fun. When you get here, we'll remind you that you will have fun. In the middle of the activity, we'll tell you that you are having fun. At the end, we'll tell you that you had fun and to follow it up, we'll send emails or weekly RS letters to tell you how much fun you had at the event.

Last week we attended a fall harvest festival that our neighbor's church hosted. The festival was on a farm of one of the church members, they had a chili cook-off, dessert bake-off, hay rides, pony rides, hay maze, bounce houses, lazer tag, video game trucks, bonfire, live music, food-hamburgers/hotdogs, chips.

The were three LDS families in the neighbor's circle of friends that were invited. As we ate the provided meal conversation turned to how come or why couldn't the ward host such a fun event. None of us could recall the last time we attended a LDS church function that was solely designed for fellowship, visiting and talking to get to know your neighbors. No program, theme or message to share with everyone, just a social gathering.

Do such gatherings still exist?

Posts: 686 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HalfABrain
Member # 11467

- posted      Profile for HalfABrain   Email HalfABrain         Edit/Delete Post 
The last few years we have been revamping how we celebrate certain holidays. Halloween is a big one, of course. What is there wholesome in celebrating devils, monsters, and murderers, and eating lots of sugar? Maybe there isn't much wrong with it, and maybe it can be an activity that brings out lots of people, but perhaps there is a good-better-best way to do this holiday?

We don't have to worry too much about trick-or-treaters. Anyone who would come this far out is coming to see us, not to get the loot. Most of the kids who want lots of candy go to the trunk-or-treat or some businesses that give out candy. Or they go to subdivisions or apartment complexes where they don't have to walk as far.

So we're celebrating the Feast of the Harvest this year. I guess it's one of the traditional Israelite holidays. It really wasn't my idea, but I think it's a good one. I don't know if we'll do the costume thing or not, but we'll definitely feast! Last year it went really well. I'm hoping for even better this year.

Posts: 737 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirkwood
Member # 1788

- posted      Profile for mirkwood   Email mirkwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Our current SP believes that Halloween is satanic. Consequently trunk or treat has been cancelled until he is released (we will see after that) and no wards have Halloween parties. Pretty sad actually. I love Halloween.
Posts: 2210 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoudmouthMormon
Member # 6140

Has he seen your house Mirk?
Mormon_Yoda
Member # 11437

- posted      Profile for Mormon_Yoda   Email Mormon_Yoda         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last week we attended a fall harvest festival that our neighbor's church hosted. The festival was on a farm of one of the church members, they had a chili cook-off, dessert bake-off, hay rides, pony rides, hay maze, bounce houses, lazer tag, video game trucks, bonfire, live music, food-hamburgers/hotdogs, chips.

Whatever money this church collects in its collection plate is not being spent on temples or building a new chapel every single day. Their money stays local.

LDS money is pooled. My tithing could go towards hmyn books in Bosnia or carpet in Kenya. We get a fixed amount based on the sacrament attendance on the 3rd sunday of each month.

Posts: 506 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weeds
Member # 643

- posted      Profile for weeds   Email weeds         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is unfortunate. Because the third Sunday around here is High Council Sunday. Now if it was based on the fourth when we have a potluck, that would be something.
Posts: 1011 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirkwood
Member # 1788

quote:
Has he seen your house Mirk?
I doubt it.

He told our Stake Patriarch that due to his calling, it was inappropriate to have Halloween decor.

Mirk's Front Yard

More

Front Window Night Pic

[ October 28, 2011, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: mirkwood ]

Posts: 2210 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaimilyn
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for jaimilyn   Email jaimilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mirk, I've known members like that, sorry you've got one as a SP. Hopefully he has other redeeming qualities [Smile]
Posts: 2961 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirkwood
Member # 1788

It is the only thing I know about him that I have an issue with. He is a good man and leader.
Mormon_Yoda
Member # 11437

Good Job Mirk on the decorations...if you already have a stake calling, this is the ticket to getting released! [Wink]
Mormon_Yoda
Member # 11437

quote:
Now if it was based on the fourth when we have a potluck, that would be something.
I have been in a the ward council in one position or another for about 5-6 years and keep joking about having a potluck of some kind on the 3rd sunday and no one takes the bait.
Mormon_Yoda
Member # 11437

Church Handbook 2 --- 13.2.4

quote:
Church activities should follow and teach Church standards. They should provide a wholesome environment where participants can develop friendships with others who have similar beliefs and standards. Activities should be uplifting and emphasize things that are “virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy” (Articles of Faith 1:13). Activities are not to include anything that is immoral or suggestive or that makes evil appear acceptable and normal. Leaders ensure that any entertainment is in keeping with the teachings of the Savior.
It seems that Halloween parties do not fit this description at all. That said, if halloween parties are as occult as Mirks SP suggest, you would think the First Presidency would put out directions on that. After all, it is a widespread practice and church buildings are used for mummies, vampires and ghouls to run rampant.
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
I participate in as many ward activities as I can, but I don't do Halloween. It's about the issues with Satanic or heathen associations, glamorizing ghouls, witches, vampires with bloody fangs, etc. I guess I should be thankful the ward activities don't include seances, crystal balls, or ouija boards. [Eek!]

(In another thread where we were talking about H.P. Lovecraft, this is why I started phasing him out when I joined the Church. I read a lot of his stuff in the years that I was far from my Christian roots, but I came to see that the Cthulhu & Necronomicon stuff is related to the same dark themes as Halloween).

But I do recognize that this seems to be a beloved Mormon holiday. All the leaders I've ever had seemed to endorse it. It's the year's biggest opportunity for kids to build their year's supply of sugar, a most worthy endeavor. So I just keep my mouth shut about it among Church friends & don't go to the Halloween activities. Some people have noticed that I don't, because I'm at most other major events, & if they ask I just tell them I don't do Halloween. I think we can all co-exist.

If anything were to change (which it won't, but IF), I'd like to see more emphasis & a great ward event for Thanksgiving (not the actual day, but sometime before it). It would be a time to visit, share dinner (or lunch), enjoy each others' company, celebrate what we are grateful for, collect food or other items for those who have less, & invite friends of any belief to join us because Thanksgiving is for everyone. Although it originated in the American colonies (now the U.S. & Canada), dozens of countries now have a similar day, proving that gratitude transcends religion & culture. And unlike Halloween, I doubt there's anything about Thanksgiving that anyone could seriously take offense or argue with. [Smile]

Posts: 14436 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

Ooooh, look at this story I just saw. I'm sure it's of little real interest to Bay Area residents, but sfgate.com probably put it on their home page on purpose. You know it'll be a hate magnet. [Big laugh]
Posts: 14436 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoudmouthMormon
Member # 6140

Hm - Curelom's link (and the Trib article source) just scream "half the story". One would think a neighborhood invitation to an LDS trunk or treat in Utah would say something like "modest costumes only" - not "no cross-gender costumes".

Something isn't being told here...

FlyByNight
Member # 1073

- posted      Profile for FlyByNight   Email FlyByNight         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it said, no cross gender costumes at ward events before. Though recently the only rule has been no masks. But then again, I've seen numerous people at the party that violated the rule. And they weren't sending them home.
Posts: 11091 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slader
Member # 889

- posted      Profile for slader   Email slader         Edit/Delete Post 
We regularly have a Halloween dance for the youth in our stake.

Costume rules are:
No Weapons
No Masks
No Cross-dressing
No Blood and Gore

Generally, no issues.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hincky
Member # 11615

- posted      Profile for Hincky   Email Hincky         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the no-cross-dressing rule had to do with trying to keep modesty in control. Often, men who dress as women at costume parties have greatly over-exaggerated breasts that seem to be the center of attention.

Another aspect of this dreadful "holiday":

quote:
But I do recognize that this seems to be a beloved Mormon holiday. All the leaders I've ever had seemed to endorse it.
I'm pleased to say that our new bishop canned the "Trunk or Treat" activity our ward used to have. Personally, I also do not understand Mormons' love affair with Halloween.

And yes, I took my children out for Trick or Treats when they were young and I happily went myself as a child, but at least our children were dressed up as football players, clowns, etc.

One house in our town went so far this year as to put a large cross in their yard and hang a monster from it, crucifiction style. Absolutely dreadful. I'm pretty sure they are the non-religous type. Thankfully, it was gone yesterday. Not sure if it fell down of its own accord or what.

It's the growing evil, dark emphasis that seems to reign over much of the day that I don't like.

[ October 28, 2011, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Hincky ]

Posts: 167 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

"And yes, I took my children out for Trick or Treats when they were young and I happily went myself as a child, but at least our children were dressed up as football players, clowns, etc... It's the growing evil, dark emphasis that seems to reign over much of the day that I don't like."

It would be nice to have a wholesome balance, so if people really must do Halloween, the emphasis would be on the fun, positive side. Kids or adults decked out like animals, pirates, kings & queens (gender appropriate, of course [ROFL] ), an ATM, or a KFC drumstick. Or maybe [Laugh] a cat litter box lined with the Trib.

I soooooo do not want to see any Osama Bin Ladin or Moammar Gadhafy costumes. [Grumble] To be fair, I don't wanna see Obama or Romney either. [Big Frown]

rayb
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for rayb   Email rayb         Edit/Delete Post 
trunk or treat on Saturday.
Posts: 13790 | Registered: Oct 98  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yungmom
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for yungmom   Email yungmom         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LDS Bishop Dennis Toone, whose ward hosted the party, says he thought it was church policy but it wasn't. He says anyone who didn't like the rule didn't have to come.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/10/28/national/a134529D59.DTL#ixzz1c936HKM3

I know it was in the handbook about 8 years ago as I read it when I was activities director and was surprised since I had never heard that before.
Posts: 5583 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page