Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » Mormon Life » THE PRAYER LIST (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  22  23  24 

Author Topic: THE PRAYER LIST
CrowGirl
Member # 401

- posted      Profile for CrowGirl   Email CrowGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Second opinions are always a good thing. My father got one of those when the doctors wanted to take everything off six inches below his knee. They were correct when they said he would heal faster, but he decided that he wanted to keep as much of himself together while he could. He managed to keep his leg a few years longer, until that amputation became inevitable. But, he had those extra years he would not have had if he had just gone with the first doctor's recommendations.
Posts: 4710 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

- posted      Profile for V.   Email V.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the good news is that the pelvic area seems to be cancer free. Otoh, my CEA or tumor marker jumped from 15 to 30. I will be having a PETscan
done early in Jan along with bloodwork. Doc doesn't want to throw something into my system til we know what needs to be targeted. That makes sense but I am growing weary of not having answers. V.

Posts: 4311 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is a very urgent request. I actually got this request for prayer from a friend who is not LDS, but the family involved is LDS. (She met them on an unassisted birth message board years ago, then met them physically when they lived near them in Texas, where they became close friends.) Prayers for Megan and Dan in Texas and their family, please.

Megan had her 8th baby about 5 weeks ago. It was an emergency c-section- she was in labor and she went from fine to high fever and crashing. She was treated with IV antibiotics and seemed to recover. Several weeks later she is back in the hospital (admitted with a mystery fever Saturday) and only getting worse. She's on IV antibiotics, they are running tests but can't figure out what's going on, she has a 104 degree (F) fever and they're only keeping it down to that by applying ice packs. Her husband Dan is normally a pretty laid-back guy apparently, but he's saying that unless something changes, he doesn't expect her to make it til the weekend.

Please pray for Megan's health, for Dan's strength, and for all 8 of their children in this terrible trial. (Yes, they're going on the Temple prayer roll, but the more prayers, the better...)

I'll let you know when I know anything. [Frown]

[ December 06, 2011, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Immediate and heartfelt prayers are immediately issuing from the CrowsNest. Please keep us posted, KQ.
Posts: 4710 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear. [Frown] Megan & Dan & their kids will certainly be in my prayers.

V, you will be too.

KQ, how are you doing?

Posts: 14677 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a rough month. But I'm not in the hospital dying, so right now I'm pretty much counting my blessings.
Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

Update on Megan: Her fever is fluctuating. They found unspecified bacteria in her blood (sepsis...) and are testing it to see what kind it is and what it will respond to (whether or not it is gram-positive, and culturing it to see if they can identify it, and try different abx to see what it will respond to.) They knew her kidneys were not functioning right but now that they know it's sepsis, are unsure if she actually has a kidney infection, or if they are just overloaded by the massive systemic infection and she's approaching kidney failure. Prayers for the doctors, nurses, technicians managing her care to find an antibiotic that works quickly, before permanent damage is done (to her heart and other organs as well as kidneys), needed. Also prayers that her body may be strong enough to withstand the sepsis and that she can hold on until they find a treatment that works, if that be God's will, and that her family can continue to find strength and comfort.

[ December 06, 2011, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 959

They have an answer; it's e. Coli. They will be switching to antibiotics that are generally effective against e. Coli.
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Fabulous news. Not that she has e.Coli, but that they finally know that's what it is. May she get treatment, and quickly!

I have a prayer request for a friend here. Their family was supposed to leave here for Okinawa, but about 8 weeks before their report date, their youngest son was finally diagnosed with some disorders that require them to move to a base where he can get the help he needs. Okinawa does not fit into that category. So, they are waiting to find out where they're going next. And waiting. And waiting. They cannot make any plans, including getting their household goods packed up, until they have those orders.

But here's the kicker. In less than a week, the visas for her and their four children expire. So she is looking at have to pick up her children and go back to the States without their goods, and without her husband, who is authorized to stay longer than his family members, at Christmas time.

Her name is Emily, and if you could just keep her family in your prayers that this issue can get resolved quickly (Yes, some ugly phone calls have been made to those who are in charge of these things), I would appreciate it. So would she. They are not LDS, but she is one of the closest things to a friend I have here, and she has asked for prayers. Thank you.

Curelom
Member # 1439

Prayers going forth for Emily, Megan & Dan & family (good news that the nature of her illness is known, so she can get the correct treatment), V, & other Nauvoo neigbors who need blessings.
Posts: 14677 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

Oh, poor Emily and family! I will pray for them for sure.

Megan update: she seems a little more stable; the fever is persisting, but lower. Ice packs are no longer necessary and it's hovering between 100.5 and 102. She was well enough to talk on the phone a little today. Now the bad news is that they think that she has kicked the e. Coli infection, but the fever is still hanging around, and they are not sure what is the cause of that. She still needs prayers for strength and health, and the doctors, nurses, and techs still need God to guide their minds, eyes, and hands, but things are not as touch and go as they were- she's looking like she will hopefully make it through the weekend.

scruffydog
Member # 10650

- posted      Profile for scruffydog   Email scruffydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Update on Alex - his foot is currently in a vacuum to try to stop the bleeding and let the skin heal. Still in possession of all ten toes, so thanks for the prayers.
Posts: 1694 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

Prayers going up for all who have been listed. Military "red tape" is worse than most any other so that family will be at the top of the list.

Dear brother had his colonoscopy today and has been diagnosed with Krohns disease. Surgeon gave him enough medication for a month and then the battle will begin with trying to afford meds since he hasn't been able to work yet. At least now we know what is going on.

I am gonna just take each day as it comes right now and will pray for the needs of others. V.

Posts: 4311 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

V., do the companies that make the meds have programs for those who can't afford them? Something to look into for sure. A diagnosis of something treatable is good, right?

Megan update: The fever finally went away early this morning. She improved so rapidly, they decided she's definitely kicked it! Functioning almost back to normal and was discharged from the hospital tonight! This is truly a miracle, both of medicine and of God's power and the power of prayer. Without the power of God behind the treatment I have a feeling it would have been for naught. But now hopefully she will continue to steadily improve, and enjoy a full healthy life with her children and beloved husband. [Big Grin]

Curelom
Member # 1439

Prayers for health, strength, & comfort continue for Emily, Megan & Dan, Alex, V & Bro, & all their loved ones.

Fabulous news that Megan seems to be weathering the worst of it & is out of the hospital. [Smile] We'll keep her in our prayers.

CrowGirl, what is happening with Emily & her family? What a stressful thing to have going on at the holiday season.

KQ, prayers for you too, as this time of year is not easy for you. You & your family are wonderful examples of faith & faithfulness.

palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
Fellow Nauvoodles, as I read the prayer requests that have been listed on this thread, I hesitate to add mine to the list. It’s really inconsequential in comparison to loss of life, loss of limb and/or any of the serious illnesses or situations outlined above, but here goes.

The palmetto_kid is graduating from BYU-Idaho this coming Friday evening and I cannot be there to see her experience one of the most important milestones in her young life. My rheumatoid arthritis has worsened to the point where (as quid has experienced) sitting in one place for a prolonged period of time causes much pain and pretty much renders me useless for quite a while. Not good if you’re trying to fly from the SE United States to SLC and then ride from SLC approximately 4 hours in either a shuttle bus or a rental car.

Even though I know intellectually why I can’t be there, it doesn’t make it any easier for me emotionally. I’m not always successful in keeping my emotions in check.

The palmetto_kid says she understands why I’m not flying out to be with her. She was here with me this summer when I had my first really bad RA flare, so she knows the toll it takes on my mobility. Fortunately, her favorite roomie and the roomie’s parents (who live about 20 minutes down the road in Rigby) will attend, so I know she won’t end up at the end of the ceremony with no one to give her a hug and congratulate her on a job well done.

She has also expressed that she feels it will be much more important for me to attend her graduation from Clemson University when she earns her MPAcc. So, dear Nauvoodles, if you would send up a little request that I will be able to keep my emotions under control (at least in public), I’d be very, very grateful.

The palmetto_kid will leave Rexburg on Saturday morning and take the shuttle to SLC. The dear woman who was her landlady when she did her internship at Deseret Book HQ in 2009 will pick her up and play hostess until Monday night, December 19. She will then take the red-eye to JFK, where she will connect with a flight that brings her into Charlotte, NC at 10:20 Tuesday morning. Then all will be well. (She’s not flying home on Saturday because of logistics in getting to SLC in time to catch a plane that day. Staying over until Monday is also saving her over $100 in airfare.) If you could also throw in a prayer for her safe travel, I would again be very grateful. Thank you.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

PG, no one's needs are inconsequential if they are important to the person. Heavenly Father is concerned about all of our needs & hears all our prayers even if we think they are about trivial things. Amulek taught us to pray over everyone & everything that matters to us - our families, our crops & fields, & our herds.

I'm glad PK is so understanding & sympathetic, & also that she will have good friends there to congratulate her. (Congratulations from the Nauvoo neighbors too [Clap] ) You'll both be in my prayers.

ketchupqueen
Member # 959

That's not trivial at all! (hug) I hope someone will have a video.
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What Curelom said, pg. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time with your joints. That so sucks. I'm sorry it's affected your life so much. [Frown]

Prayers will be coming. [Smile]

Posts: 5034 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
V.
Member # 1727

palmetto_gal, [Group Hug] It is really hard to have to give in to what is going on in our bodies. I was supposed to be able to hand my baby girl her diploma as I belonged to the SAC committee at her high school. Because of the chemo I was in a wheelchair and the "handicap" section was almost to the nosebleed section. I know, at least I got to be there.

Our children are very compassionate because that is how we've raised them. Your daughter loves you so much and she knows that you're body makes decisions for you! She will be okay and we will pray for traveling mercies til she is safely home! V.

CrowGirl
Member # 401

Congratulations to PalKid, and to you, PalGal, for raising a girl who values education (Clemson, wow!). Might I give you a "Good job, Mom!" along with prayers to our Father for the two of you.
jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
Who really can say what is trite, trivial or not? If you need the strength of prayer you can have it, just ask. The prayer list is not a bank. You don't need to qualify to ask for the loan of the communal spirit. Nor do you have to pay interest. All of that comes under the Atonement.

We are glad to lift up the hands that hang down.

I consult this list often. You are part of my everyday.

Posts: 6177 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 11132

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of good news on my prayer request from earlier. Sister has been given the chance to break her lease with no penalties (which is shocking in and of itself) and is moving in with our aunt, which will help both of them in more ways than just financial. And she has an interview today.
Posts: 1358 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all who responded to my post from yesterday. I made the mistake (?) of reading the responses right before I left for work this morning, so there went my mascara! I'm grateful for each and every one of you, my cyber-family.

The palmetto_kid called today. She had written thank-you notes to her professors and went around to their various offices to deliver them. She said it was very difficult to say good-bye to them, knowing she was leaving Rexburg and may never see them again. I hope they (and all teachers) realize that they have a profound effect on their students. I admire each of you Nauvoodles who teach, whether in a formal classroom, at home, at church or elsewhere in your communities.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitasmile
Member # 1302

- posted      Profile for nitasmile   Email nitasmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Palmetto- sorry you are going thru all this, I didn't realize. Will say a prayer, I love what Jana said about the prayer bank.

Saying this- is there someway the ceremony is videotaped? Or could there be a "skype" type/online set up so you could view the proceedings??

Just a thought- awhile ago, I worked w/a lady who had terminal cancer. She couldn't travel to her son's wedding- a few states away. They put the wedding online and the family arranged her to sit in the nursing home and view it live. They found a nice private room to watch it, some her close friends came and sat w/her.

It seems like a school as big as Rexburg's BYU might have a way to video at least the pertinent parts for you..

[Group Hug] But the best thing is your heart will be there w/her!! Some people might be there physically but their minds elsewhere!

And some graduations now are so noisy, you might not be able to hear anytying!

Posts: 9000 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

nita, her roomie's parents are going to video the part where she walks across the stage, shakes hands and takes her diploma. I will treasure it greatly.
nitasmile
Member # 1302

I am glad to hear that Palmetto!!
Posts: 9000 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too! [Smile]
Posts: 5034 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

The palmetto_kid just forwarded to me the latest edition of today's Student Update. Graduation will stream live on the net tomorrow night! [Clap] It's the next best thing to being there! [Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile]

This is indeed an answer to prayer!

nitasmile
Member # 1302

So great Palmetto Gal1!! [Smile] [Group Hug]

One of my coworkers "J" asked me to pray for her brother today.Tomorrow I will see if I can add them on the Temple prayer list. Her brother has has been hospitalized, about 40 pounds of excess fluid. Last week she was in tears at work due to this. So if you wish to pray for him and also my coworker would be great, she will appreciate it. She is an extra sensitive/teary person- when her dog (who recently passed away), she was in tears at work for her dog. So you can imagine how much more multiplied this is with her brother.

CrowGirl
Member # 401

Woo-HOO, PalGal! What wonderful news.

Nita, I will pray for J and her brother, too.

An update on Emily. She and her children tried to get on the plane out of here, but because her family did not have orders, they were bumped down the list. There is another plane leaving on Wednesday, and she is going to try and get out on that one. Good news, though. Their residency permits are actually good to the end of the month, so they will not be fined. Even better news; the Lord seemed to invoke The Law of The Last Minute--they received orders today to a fantastic (read: hubby's career won't be hurt by this quick-change) assignment in the States. Her husband was told that if, the Transportation Office cooperates, they could be have everything packed and out of Turkey in two weeks. So, I'm asking for prayers that this will happen.

jana at jade house
Member # 559

- posted      Profile for jana at jade house   Email jana at jade house         Edit/Delete Post 
TENDER AND SMALL BUT OH SO WELCOME MERCIES!
Posts: 6177 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

I just found out that the 2nd counselor in our Branch Presidency is undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting today. I'm not sure how many vessels need to be grafted, but his wife mentioned on Facebook that the surgery is expected to last 7 hours. If you would keep Paul in your prayers, I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks!
Tendril14
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for Tendril14   Email Tendril14         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just dropping by to tell Palmetto that graduation's going to be streamed, but I see y'all have already told her.

My son's graduating from BYU-I tonight, too, but is passing on walking in the ceremony. So he's home already.

Congratulations to all the graduates.

Posts: 2133 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

Tendril, I had hoped my DD would pass on walking but she told me she worked too hard for too long to miss out on the actual ceremony. I can't say that I blame her, but I sure wish she were here with me.
jana at jade house
Member # 559

Today let's think about two more "sisters", each one dealing with an aged mother.

One sister, who once was LDS but has lost all belief in God,who is dealing from very far away with a mother who needs to be institutionalized before she hurts herself, her husband, or someone else. Her mother has had a history of instability but just recently violence and physical signs of abuse are showing up on Dad, who is in complete denial. They are in their early 80's. We need to pray that this situation resolves without more pain and anguish for anyone. My friend is particularly worried that if her Dad died, her mother would not notify anyone else in the family, since she found out that the children were consoling Dad and trying to figure out how to commit Mom so he could have some peace and she could get some treatment. She then cut them all off with a Go to H...L email. it is not good situation. Help me pray for Karen and her family.

My other "sister" is a fine sweet dear heart who has just yesterday washed and dressed her mother for the final time. My friend Els, is a Christian in every sense of the word. But since this summer she has been under a cloud which has worried me. This and that with her children, a brother died, and now this. I fear her lingering depression will deepen into something serious. I pray for her often because she is one of those simple souls who just plug along in quiet desperation even with complete faith in God. Her mother has been failing for a long time but the end was quick and simple. So there was a mercy. But still , please help me pray Els through this rough week.

Thanks

jana at jade house
Member # 559

Gosh! I don't know who prayed but wow what a result. Karen's mom was arrested by the city for assault, and to make the story short, her Dad is now protected by a no- contact order. Monday one of the boys will go to the hearing and have a word with the judge so an assessment is ordered for Mom.

In the meantime, Dad is at one of the Boys homes where he is welcome forever.

Whew! sometimes the power of prayer can just take your breath away.

scruffydog
Member # 10650

- posted      Profile for scruffydog   Email scruffydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we please add the mother of an old friend of mine? His mother is sinking fast in hospital in London. Mrs Conn is in her late seventies, and her son Brian is frantic with worry. It may be her time now, but prayers please for an easy passage for her and for comfort for Brian.
Posts: 1694 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrowGirl
Member # 401

Prayers for Els, Mrs Conn, and Brian,definitely.

I have a desperate prayer request for friends in my last ward. Sandra and Rene came to the US from a Central American country, escaping a very frightening situation (part of it entailed Rene being kidnapped and Sandra having to pay his ransom). They came to the US legally, on an asylum visa. Recently, though, they have been told they must leave; their papers were no good. Rather than fight, Sandra decided The Lord was telling them to go back. Yesterday I received news. Rene was taken away, and not even allowed to put on a shirt. Sandra was not told where he was going, and only an attorney could speak to him. Then she gets a call from a hospital in Miami, asking what kind of pacemaker Rene had. It was the first she knew that he was sick! When calling the hospital back, She was told there is no patient with Rene's name there.

The EQP is a military attorney, and is trying to track him down. Please pray for this family. They have two children; a 13-year-old girl and an RM son who is on a student visa at BYU-I. Sandra was scheduled to leave the US on the 20th, but how can she do that when her husband is missing? These are good, caring Saints in every sense of the word. I have spoken of Sandra before on this forum. Please help me help them the only way I can.

[ December 18, 2011, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: CrowGirl ]

Curelom
Member # 1439

I am going to make a little note to myself with the names of the latest prayer needs so I can remember everyone. There seem to be a lot of folks with challenges at the moment. It doesn't help most people to have these things happen during the holidays.

Prayers for Jana's, Nita's, & Scruffy's friends with their complex family situations, Paul who just had a bypass, & Emily & kids. Special prayers for Sandra & Rene, what a frightening situation for both of them. [Frown]

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  22  23  24 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page