Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » Doctrines & Scholarship » Why death? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why death?
ketchupqueen
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that, Ray. I think sometimes a death comes at a time that is needful because of a need in Heaven, or a need here on Earth. But no matter WHY, death is something that happens, and it definitely happens in the Lord's time, not ours- or most of us might never be ready to go.
Posts: 8194 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raro
Member # 1304

- posted      Profile for Raro   Email Raro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have explained it to my children this way:

We're all out playing baseball in the front yard. Great game, everyone having fun. Then Johnny's mom from next door calls out, "Hey,it's getting dark, time to come in for dinner!" Everyone groans because Johnny was a great player and now we have to go on without him. But it's not a tragedy for Johnny or his mom, since he's going home to a nice dinner and bath, etc.

That's the way life is. The Lord calls someone home, and to us it's such a tragedy, but to the Lord it's simply calling them Home. Since He has the vision that we lack, to Him I don't think there is much difference between mortal life and the spirit world. He sees both at the same time, and sends His children back and forth all the time. But when we have to go on without them for now, it is really hard for us.

However, I've put in my request to the Lord, that if I have any say whatsoever in when I go Home, I really would prefer to be able to raise my son first. My older kids would be okay, although they would grieve horribly, but my youngest already lost his dad, and to lose his mom too would just be too hard for him. At least, that's what I tell the Lord. Whether or not He agrees with me is another issue, sigh...

At any rate, thanks so much for the prayers. I'm trying to make it through each day holding on by my toenails. But I'm still holding on. [Smile]

Posts: 1755 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kazbert
Member # 10961

- posted      Profile for kazbert   Email kazbert         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely that death comes to us all. Crap happens. I think God does indeed know the day and hour of our future demise, but having the intelligence and wisom to foresee an outcome doesn't mean He causes it.

On the other hand, sometimes (Sometimes!) it does feel like someone has been called home. When I was 16, my 44-year-old step-father (a wonderful man) had a stroke. Six days later he was dead from pneumonia. There were perhaps a dozen moments during those six days where things took a turn for the worst -- things that happened one way when they could have happened another way. If any one of those bad turns had been a good turn, he'd probably still be here. He was a powerful man, physically and mentally. I don't know why it was so important to the eternal plan for my step-father to die when he did, but I gotta tell ya, it sure felt like Death laid a hold on him and yanked and yanked him out of mortality. For me, "it was his time to go" is the only explanation that fits, even if it is only half an explanation (it was his time, because ...?) I trust my Heavenly Father. I try to be where I'm supposed to be and do what I'm supposed to do, and I leave the rest up to Him.
The only way I find peace is to quit asking, "Why?"

Posts: 459 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page