Nauvoo
Nauvoo
Nauvoo     Home Page  |  Nauvoo Times  |  About Nauvoo  |  The Back Bench  |  Vigor - Web Edition  |  Contact Nauvoo
Nauvoo Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Nauvoo Forum » Nauvoo Classic Forum » Introductions » My introduction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My introduction
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

I found this site through a google search, as I was looking for both CTR and RWH rings. A link to a post about the rings brought me here and I like what I've seen so far. I don't intend to post much (yet) because I'd like to get the feel of the board before I put my foot in my mouth. [Blushing]

I will tell you a bit about myself. I joined the Church in November 1981 when I was in San Jose, CA. I was in the USAF at that time. I spent almost 12 years as a Command Post Controller. My last 3.5 years were spent in northern Germany on a Luftwaffe base. I used to be fairly fluent in German, but I'm a bit rusty now.

I now live in South Carolina (the Palmetto State, hence my moniker) and I belong to a small branch. Our church building was retrofitted because it used to be a Chinese restaurant. On the first Sunday we held our meetings in this building, I gave the Branch President a box of fortune cookies and jokingly suggested he use them for the sacrament. We members of the branch like to tell visitors from the Stake or from out of town that the building used to be a Chinese restaurant and warn them that they will experience a great hunger for the Gospel in just a couple of hours. [Laugh]

I work as a medical coder for the local hospital here in my town. Prior to that, I was a medical transcriptionist.

I have one daughter, who is leaving in about three weeks to go back to Rexburg for her second year at the I. [Cry] [Smile] I have conflicting emotions because we have grown very close this summer, but I know she needs her education.

One of my favorite quotes is from Elder Marvin Ashton: "Leave people better than you found them."

I look forward to getting to know you and participating in the discussions.

Posts: 2822 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Hi, PalmettoGal--welcome to our cozy village. We hope you enjoy it, meet lots of the neighbors, & have a good time.

This is a treat normally reserved for people who reach their 1000th post. But in honor of the fact that you go to church in a former Chinese restaurant, & because you appear to have a sense of humor, this venerable ( [Wink] ) Chinese delicacy is being presented to you as a special welcome gift.

Thouand-Year Egg

Posts: 14264 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparky
Member # 176

- posted      Profile for Sparky   Email Sparky         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard the Nauvoo train, P-gal!
Posts: 2829 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janey
Member # 885

- posted      Profile for Janey   Email Janey         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy! [Wave]
Posts: 4775 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BG27
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for BG27   Email BG27         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

Welcome to Nauvoo [Wave]

Posts: 4584 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryozion
Member # 2035

- posted      Profile for maryozion   Email maryozion         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, welcome [Wave]
Posts: 598 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Palmetto Gal! [Wave] Hmm ... I wonder if you'll like being called PG for short? That can have a number of other meanings. [Big Grin]

Great introduction, BTW. I love the idea of going to church in a Chinese restaurant.

Posts: 5905 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curelom
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Curelom   Email Curelom         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Jenna, I'll save an extra egg for you too if you want one [Razz]
Posts: 14264 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 1722

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Curelom, I've got almost 400 posts to go before my next thousand-year-egg. I'm ... um ... still digesting the last one.

I'm not too sure about the wisdom of throwing these delicacies around too lightly, you know. Save them for REALLY special occasions. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5905 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby76
Member # 1288

- posted      Profile for abby76   Email abby76         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you found us! CTR!! [Smile]
Posts: 3434 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacaré
Member # 178

- posted      Profile for Jacaré   Email Jacaré         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome palmetto_gal. Did you retire from the Air Force? I'm on active duty in the Air National Guard -- 23 years active duty, 28 years total military service. I'm currently contemplating life after retirement.

You meet in a former Chinese restaurant, huh? The first area I served on my mission was a small branch that met in a rented space upstairs over a store. I like to tell people we met in an upper room (see Mark 14:15, Luke 22:12 and Acts 1:13).

And don't worry about putting your foot in your mouth. Around here it's mandatory.

Posts: 6145 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 701

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
One town I lived in, our small branch - which was officially a Small Branch with four families - met in a French community centre. This was a French Catholic community in the middle of nowhere Alberta where more than half the population spoke French but no English. Every Sunday when we came in for church, we'd have to spend the first half hour cleaning up the cigarette butts and beer bottles. [Big Grin]

The things we do...

Welcome, Palmetto Girl! [Smile]

Posts: 4818 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melissa
Member # 1762

- posted      Profile for Melissa   Email Melissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Herzlich Wilkommen!
Posts: 960 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catherder
Member # 1801

- posted      Profile for catherder   Email catherder         Edit/Delete Post 
Moin' Moin'!
Posts: 2402 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

- posted      Profile for palmetto_gal   Email palmetto_gal         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all of you for your gracious welcoming messages. Now to answer questions/comments individually:

Curelom: Thanks for the 1000-year old egg. I don’t have to eat it, do I?

JennaDean: May I pass on being called PG? (I’d settle for pal_gal if you want to shorten my moniker.) [Wink]

jacare: I did not retire from the USAF. I was on active duty almost 12 years, but did not re-enlist due to family commitments.

quidscribis: I can only imagine what it must be like to clean up bottles and ciggie butts before the meeting. And to think, some members murmur when “the other ward” that meets in the building leaves a few cheerios in the pew. [Roll Eyes] We’d be grateful to have pews. Since our chapel is sometimes used as a cultural hall, we have the softly padded folding chairs commonly found in a RS room.

Melissa: Recht herzlichen Dank fur’s Wilkommen!

catherder: Jetzt fuhl’ ich mich wie zu Hause. Das ‘Moin, Moin’ kommt mir bekannt vor. In Niedersachen wird ‘Moin, Moin’ durch den ganzen Tag gesagt.

And to all others who extended a welcome, thank you so very much. [Group Hug] I’m really enjoying reading the posts and trying to get to know you by your writing styles.

Posts: 2822 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BG27
Member # 1343

quote:
I wonder if you'll like being called PG for short
quote:
May I pass on being called PG? (I’d settle for pal_gal if you want to shorten my moniker.)
Phew, imagine the confusion that could have created

[Big Grin]

[ August 21, 2006, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: BG27 ]

Posts: 4584 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beau Zoe
Member # 1718

- posted      Profile for Beau Zoe   Email Beau Zoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Pal-Gal--

BG is right about the confusion. However, it seemed to work for me. Several members here thought that I was a boy, while others thought I was a girl. Now, most of them agree that I am an idiot, regardless of gender. I am sure that you will not be so considered, based on what I read in your posts.

I extend my welcome to you here at Nauvoo and look forward to your posts. We'll talk about the service later, OK?

Posts: 541 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BG27
Member # 1343

quote:
Now, most of them agree that I am an idiot, regardless of gender.
[ROFL] [Big laugh] [ROFL] [Big laugh] [ROFL]

Beau Zoe that is zoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee funny [Laugh]

but [Wave] to you, it seems ages since you posted here regularly, hopefully the kids are making their way back to school and your sanity is returning.

[Laugh]

catherder
Member # 1801

- posted      Profile for catherder   Email catherder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
catherder: Jetzt fuhl’ ich mich wie zu Hause. Das ‘Moin, Moin’ kommt mir bekannt vor. In Niedersachen wird ‘Moin, Moin’ durch den ganzen Tag gesagt.
Ich frage mich, ob Sie bei Garstedt oder Bremerhaven oder einer ihrer Vorposten stationiert wurden? Sonnst wie kommt es Ihnen vorbekannt? [Wink] Aber diese Orten waren nicht Luftwaffe, ja? Es gab wenige Amerikanische Soldaten in Niedersachsen und Bremen, wann ich da Missionar war. [Smile]
Posts: 2402 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beau Zoe
Member # 1718

- posted      Profile for Beau Zoe   Email Beau Zoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ich war mit der US Armee in Deutschland fur vier Jahr gestazionert--Stuttgart, Heidelberg, und Kasierslautern. Wahn ich war in Heidelberg gestazionert, ich war der Dirigent wohn die Siebten US Armee Soldaten Chor (aus Patton Kaserne). Singen und tanzen!

Jezt, ich habe un arbeit im factory und dass ist aber schade.

Posts: 541 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmetto_gal
Member # 2268

catherder, ich bin auf Fliegerhorst Ahlhorn stationiert worden. Wir gaben Unterstuetzung zu den A-10 Flugmaschinen (die sogennanten Warzenschweine). Ahlhorn ist ungefaehr anderthalb Studen suedlich entfert von Bremerhaven, nicht sehr weit von der Hollandischen Grenze. Ahlhorn ist im Landkreis Oldenburg.

Es gab nur 80 amerikanische Soldatin da, und faste Alle wohnten in der Nahe. (Einige ledige Soldaten wohnten in der Kaserne.) Der Dollar war zu der Zeit sehr stark, $1 = DM 3.15. So ist das nicht mehr der Fall!

Garden Girl
Member # 1943

- posted      Profile for Garden Girl   Email Garden Girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey... wait a second... that's not fair [Eek!]

Welcome Pal Gal from the beautiful central Oregon coast...

The Garden Girl [Smile]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Nauvoo Home Page